Greenrebellion's Fall 2017 Renovation

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
SNOWBOB11
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Not Specified

Re: Greenrebellion's Fall 2017 Renovation

Post by SNOWBOB11 » October 10th, 2017, 10:02 pm

Great job! You had to fight so many battles it must be great to see it turning out so well.

Jackpine
Grass Type: N.W. Mi. KBG blend
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by Jackpine » October 11th, 2017, 7:25 am

Great job.. I knew you could do it!

Tom

smast16
Grass Type: Front: TTTF & KBG Back: Salad Bar
Lawn Size: Not Specified

Post by smast16 » October 11th, 2017, 8:38 am

That looks awesome man! I'm with SnowBob11. So many battles, and you beat them every time.

greenrebellion
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by greenrebellion » October 11th, 2017, 2:05 pm

Thanks guys, appreciate it. Very satisfied with how things turned out and excited to see what I can do with it next year.

MfanIN
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass

Post by MfanIN » October 12th, 2017, 1:17 pm

Way to go, Green!

I hope my reno looks as good at 60 days- but I doubt it! You got some good bugs out after last years hard effort, it seems. had I spent a bit more time on here before deciding to renovate, I may have followed your path a bit more closely.

Incredible what a difference there is between your last reno and this- it shows up nicely in the last picture. The color is much more consistent (with the exception of the Annua)- no clumps of grassy weeds, no significant yellowing. Night and day. 2 years from now you'll be one happy lawn lover!

greenrebellion

Post by greenrebellion » October 24th, 2017, 10:08 am

Average first frost is Oct 9th, 90% first frost date is October 22nd, here we are on the 24th and haven't even been close to frost yet. Crazy!

MfanIN
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass

Post by MfanIN » October 24th, 2017, 12:40 pm

Same situation here. Looks to freeze later this week/weekend though in Northern Indiana. I could have put another App of Urea down on the 14th! Ah well- 2 apps made a world of difference for my lawn.

When are you planning on turning off the water, or have you already?

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Level: Some Experience

Post by Marinegrunt » October 24th, 2017, 1:18 pm

Great job! It looks really good so be proud.

Our average first is October 15th. We are a little later than normal but it looks like it's coming very soon. With lows in the mid 30's coming at night this week I think we have a good chance. They were calling for 29° one night but already changed it to 34°. I guess we'll see.

smast16
Grass Type: Front: TTTF & KBG Back: Salad Bar

Post by smast16 » October 24th, 2017, 2:40 pm

Really? Dang, this weather is all over the place. I had frost on the rooftops here last week. 35 that morning, and that's way ahead of schedule. A week prior to that it was 88.

greenrebellion

Post by greenrebellion » October 24th, 2017, 9:31 pm

MfanIN wrote:
October 24th, 2017, 12:40 pm
Same situation here. Looks to freeze later this week/weekend though in Northern Indiana. I could have put another App of Urea down on the 14th! Ah well- 2 apps made a world of difference for my lawn.

I winterized the irrigation a week ago. Got four inches of rain the past 2 days so don't need any more water! Hopefully I can time the winterizer app of Urea before some rainfall.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 25th, 2017, 8:55 am

greenrebellion wrote:
October 10th, 2017, 6:10 pm
Welp, day 60 post seeding is here. Definitely needs some work, but at least this time I have a base from where I can work from. Give me a year or two and I'll have this thing looking amazing.

Pic 1: Shot of the front, lighter green grass in the background area is Poa annua infestation.

Pic 2: This is the most challenging area I have, rust in the foreground and the KBG isn't very thick in the middle and background and lots of powdery mildew, probably a bunch of grassy weeds in there too making it off color.

Pic 3: Next year's reno in the foreground, lighter green area in the middle of the pic appears to be a Poa annua infestation and color is a little off here because it is the hardest hit by rust.

I am skipping fungicides, don't want to kill off good fungi in the soil (I've done enough damage with 4 apps of roundup this year). Serenade every 7 days seems to be keeping the rust/powdery mildew somewhat under control.

All in all, given where I was at this time last year, I'll take what I've got. It is good enough and I can build from here.
:yahoo:

greenrebellion

Post by greenrebellion » October 25th, 2017, 9:10 am

Not bad eh? Two seasons of renovations under my belt now. First one failed, this one a success. As my experience level grows, I'm hoping next year's backyard reno will end up even better.

That said, I'm not sure I would change much with what I did this year. I started Urea and Tenacity early and will likely do so again on the backyard next year. You have to be really careful about overlapping rows during Tenacity apps the earlier you start, but it is way easier to kill the Poa annua when it is smaller. I aggressively reduced frequency of watering, earlier than most probably do. I think that helped control fungus pressures during this crazy warm fall and that streak of 95 degree days.

Looking forward now to next year and getting rid of my hideous looking backyard and am excited to work on my front yard in Spring and get it to fill in densely and start working on color optimization and removing the rest of the Poa annua!!

Sicride
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by Sicride » October 26th, 2017, 7:47 am

MfanIN wrote:
October 24th, 2017, 12:40 pm

I think everyone confuses this as a first frost actually flips a switch in grass and tells it to slow down. It is a general time line identifier. I don't think the grass has a thermostat built into it's leaves. However, average first frost occurs at a given date based on how long the sun is up for a given time... I think vegetation responds more to sun than anything, of course the sun position and length of daylight has an effect on ambient temperature, ground temperature, and rainfall.

Lawn looks amazing BTW Greenrebellion. I'm still following closely because I believe I will be in the same battle as you here soon.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » October 26th, 2017, 8:18 am

I was the person that picked the date that is used for the cut-off. It was picked as a date that leaves enough time for the grass to naturally slow down, but that is variable enough to accommodate some seasonal difference around the country.