Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
lowcountryboy
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

lowcountryboy's Side Yard Reno 2017!!!

Post by lowcountryboy » June 15th, 2017, 7:10 pm

Hi all!

I have been roaming the site for a few months now and really taken an interest in my lawn because of the greatness I have witnessed :good: . Due to this inspiration, I have undertaken a full renovation in our side yard that all started with a tree removal. This has turned into a full-blown, start-from-scratch project that I would like to share with others and field questions (pun intended) about.

Overarching Info:
Rental Property before purchasing 2 years ago (not maintained)
Charleston, SC property - barrier island within 1 mile of salt marsh
Just completed a well/pump project to water the property (.1 acre)
Looking to seed bermuda for Traffic/Water/Development Speed reasons

This is the before image with the original picket fence removed:

Mulberry Tree removed and work has begun to fully overhaul the weed-filled, un-managed yard. And now the new picket fence is going up:

Proposed Design:

Next steps are:
Complete the picket fence (for dog purposes).
Add soil nutrients and local compost, till into the soil due to overwhelming compaction and low (2%) organic matter content.
Create garden beds and stone pathways with edging.
Seed the lawn with "Bermuda" (need assistance in picking seed) and cover with Peat Moss.
Continue to baby the newly created property :mod: .

Would love to get some input and expertise in getting started with this new hobby (obsession) and developing a family friendly yard to enjoy!

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)

Re: lowcountryboy's Side Yard Reno 2017!!!

Post by g-man » June 16th, 2017, 9:02 am

I dont have experience with warm season grass, so I wont be able to provide much info. I did noticed two things. First, the compressor for your house A/C is mounted on a wood table with small legs. It just looks like if you hit one of those legs with the mower, the whole thing will fall off. A 2x4 connecting the legs at the bottom would prevent this.

The post for the triangular sail need to go deep (ie. 3ft). Research the depth so it could hold the weight/wind. regardless I would do the post first.

Since you have bare soil, I would consider irrigation now.

lowcountryboy

Post by lowcountryboy » June 21st, 2017, 9:27 pm

g-man,

Thanks for the input, will definitely be taking a look at the A/C stand moving forward!
Post-tilling and final grading, I will also getting those posts dug in and set.

I have just posted my soil report for recommendations on amendments in the Soil Management Forum. Additionally, I'm looking for some input on seed varieties suggested for my AO, Charleston, SC. I have a local supplier that suggest using the "Panam Variety" which seems to be a good blend, but not sure if this is the best option.

Hopefully the rain will end soon, then we'll accomplish the next steps:

Kill final weeds (seem to mostly crabgrass)
Till severely compacted soil
Compost and Nutrients
Final Grade and Roll Lawn
Plant Seed
Peat Moss cover

lowcountryboy

Post by lowcountryboy » July 6th, 2017, 10:33 am

Just received my soil report interpretation from Andy today and wanted to give a status of the project in hand.

The soil has been tilled with some of the local organic compost from our Charleston County landfill program. Was only able to make one trip so far which filled up my 5-1/2 foot bed for $8. Good looking stuff. Will continue adding the nutrients as described by Andy and finalize the grade.

In the meantime, I've been rebuilding the picket fence and preparing to install edging stones to define the lawn space. These mid-90 days have been draining the body, so unfortunately at ~2 hours per day it's been kind of slow.

Just bought some Barenbrug Panam Bermuda (Panama, Transcontinental, and Bargusto) grass seed which was recommended by the local supply shop...Got a quote for sod at $250/pallet not including install. Moving toward finally seeding and getting rid of the dirt pile in the yard.

More pictures to come!