How much water do you use for yohr reno?

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
SyNtAxx
Grass Type: KBG: Blueberry/Prosperity/Bewitched
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Experienced

How much water do you use for yohr reno?

Post by SyNtAxx » June 18th, 2017, 10:25 pm

This will be my 3rd season renovating 1 acre of turf. I know there will be local variables that effect water usage during renovation...for example there is absolutely no shade in my front yard. its like crossing the Sahara desert so i expect a certain amount more of water usage. That being said i used about 40,000 gallons of water for 12ksqft reno. I watered every couple hours...when the surface of peat was dry i appearance and unfil wet again. I seem to think i can vet by with less water...thoughts?

How much did you use? How frequently are you watering?

Nick

SyNtAxx

Re: How much water do you use for yohr reno?

Post by SyNtAxx » June 18th, 2017, 10:33 pm

i just checked my bill since my reno fwll over 2 billing cycles inused closer to 50k gal. if im doing twice the size of ladt years reno...im looming at 100k gallons plus normal household usage....wow..

seiyafan
Grass Type: Bewitched mono and TTTF/KBG mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by seiyafan » June 19th, 2017, 9:30 am

For 85F+ with no shade the sprinkler goes off 5-6 times a day (5 minutes each)

fusebox7
Grass Type: Front: Northern Mix - KBG, PRG, FF | Back: 100% PRG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by fusebox7 » June 19th, 2017, 12:07 pm

On my sloped areas - more frequent (4x/day), shorter run times (5 mins) (mitigate puddling/runoff). On my flat areas, less frequent (by half), longer run times (double). Like you suggested, every answer you get will be similar but different. I finger the soil and it's moist in the areas that are typically drier, I'll skip the next cycle. We got 3.5" of rain Saturday night and my seedbed is still moist so I'm not watering until it's dry. I've read that you want to water long enough to keep the top 1-2" moist but stop before puddling occurs. I think you need to find a happy medium since no one's irrigation or grading is perfect.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » June 20th, 2017, 5:21 pm

What do you mean by 3rd season of renovating? Does that mean you renovated in winter, spring, and summer? Or does that mean you renovated in 2015, 2016, and 2017?

What time of year are you doing the renovations? Hopefully for your area (the north) you are doing it in September after the summer heat has broken.

For 1 acre have you considered going with a prairie type grass like wheatgrass or something native to your area. When planted right and mowed, they look like a lawn but take much less care (watering, mowing, and feeding).

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » June 20th, 2017, 7:21 pm

Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
June 20th, 2017, 5:21 pm
What do you mean by 3rd season of renovating? Does that mean you renovated in winter, spring, and summer? Or does that mean you renovated in 2015, 2016, and 2017?

What time of year are you doing the renovations? Hopefully for your area (the north) you are doing it in September after the summer heat has broken.

For 1 acre have you considered going with a prairie type grass like wheatgrass or something native to your area. When planted right and mowed, they look like a lawn but take much less care (watering, mowing, and feeding).
I've been renovating the 1 acre over the period 3 growing seasons so far with the hope fall of 2018 being the last season of renovation, for that to occur I needed to increase the square footage completed this year from 12k sqft to about 20k sqft . I chose to do the yard in sections and go for quality over quantity.

I can realistically only seed as much as I can effectively water. I'm committed to the full renovation using KBG. I was just more curious in how much water others have used to renovate the same square footage generally speaking, local variables aside. I used closer to 50,000 gallons last year for about 12ksqft. I looked at water bills and the renovation fell across 2 billing cycles.

I'm 100% sure I can make improvements on that number based on some observations from last year on my temporary sprinkler set up. I dont have a problem paying for the water, just curious if i can get by with less is all. Which is why I asked the questions I did.

As for the areas of the yard already renovated to 100% KBG, they do not get irrigated during the summer and relay on natural rains or dormancy.

-Nick