2017 HoosierDaddy Front Reno

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
HoosierDaddy
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Prosperity/Midnight/Blueberry; Back: Midnight/Prosperity/Blueberry
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Re: 2017 HoosierDaddy Front Reno

Post by HoosierDaddy » September 13th, 2017, 9:46 am

Indysod aka Prairie Creek Farms out of Lebanon, IN. I still have zero germination at 2 weeks on the test as noted in the post above from Sunday.

HoosierDaddy
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Prosperity/Midnight/Blueberry; Back: Midnight/Prosperity/Blueberry

Post by HoosierDaddy » September 13th, 2017, 2:37 pm

No date on the seed. It came in a 2 gallon ziploc. Was told it was straight from their stocks they use for the sod farm.

I'm at day 11 of the second round of seeding using the Blueberry/Prosperity/Midnight combo from last year. Seeing VERY little germination from it as well. I have no idea what's going on.

HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy » September 16th, 2017, 5:52 pm

Seeing decent germination from the seed I put down on 9/2.

With the amount of have I believe I can nurse it through the rest of fall and next spring. PAM: Philes, Alfalfa, Milk.

greenrebellion
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by greenrebellion » September 16th, 2017, 8:23 pm

Glad to see those newlyvlaid seeds are coming in.

What is Philes if you don't mind me asking. I am going to need some spring spreading as well. Already have sources for raw milk and alfalfa.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » September 16th, 2017, 8:42 pm

What is Philes if you don't mind me asking.
Only 206 answers to that question if you try the newfangled Search function - try it....

PS: the only subject in the Hall of Fame

greenrebellion
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by greenrebellion » September 16th, 2017, 9:18 pm

How have I never heard of this in my year + on this site?! I am off to read Andy's hall of fame Philes post.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » September 16th, 2017, 10:14 pm

Philes was a person and is in the Hall of Fame. I am not, and hope to avoid posthumous awards for a while.

Cheesto
Grass Type: 2017 KGB Reno: Bewitched, Prosperity, Moonlight SLT, Endurance
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Cheesto » September 17th, 2017, 11:46 am

HD - a little sigh of relief to have some more germination. I'm running into several spots where the germination is very thin or nonexistent. This might seem silly, but I'm wondering if our complete lack of rain has anything to do with it - even though we're irrigating the crap out of it, maybe there's something about natural rainfall that does something to the grass. Perhaps a few 40 degree nights halted some germination? You had top dressing, and i didn't, but we are running into similar issues.

llO0DQLE
Grass Type: KBG and Creeping Red Fescue
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by llO0DQLE » September 17th, 2017, 8:36 pm

Lol its not the lack of rain. I hardly get any rain in my part if the world. I had good germination in my 2015 reno.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » September 18th, 2017, 10:02 am

The Bewtiched is still available to ya, bro.

I might be northside a few days this week if you want some extra eyes or need an excuse to look at grass and drink.

I overseeded more myself this past week.

It's been pretty hot and drier than I recall the last several planting seasons being down here anyways. The rain today should kick things in high gear, so long as those upper 80s stay away later. My lawn is finally taking off and I see a glimpse of what I'd hoped for, so don't lose heart!

HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy » September 18th, 2017, 2:54 pm

I'm getting great germination now from the 9/2 seed down. I think it's going to be okay. Since it's the same blend as last year I have a 3500sq ft plug farm to pull from for next Spring if needed. Plus Philes/Alfalfa/Milk and I think I'll be fine.
HLG- I might take the Bewitched though. I'd really like some of that in the shadier areas. Let me know when you're up my way. I'm wide open this week after today.

HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy » September 19th, 2017, 5:47 pm

Two inches of rain, hard and fast, overnight last night. Anything not germinated from the 9/2 seed down is up in the air or rather out in the street. Seedlings also pushed over in many places. I cleaned up as best as I could and threw down more seed. Still hoping to nurse this along through the rest of the year and hope for 50-75% coverage that I can get into Spring.

HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy » September 29th, 2017, 12:29 pm

Dropped some Bewitched on the ungerminated areas. Might be too little too late at this point, but we'll see how it goes. Cut back on watering as well and will do the best I can to nurse this through the rest of fall and into the Spring. Spring will bring plugs, seed then Philes, alfalfa and milk. I'm not in the ideal situation at all. The bad seed from the vendor hurt but my fault for not checking better once I had it. I'll get there though. Last year's reno is powering through very strong.

Thanks to HLG for the encouragement, advice and some leftover Bewitched!

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » September 29th, 2017, 1:03 pm

HoosierDaddy wrote:
September 29th, 2017, 12:29 pm
Dropped some Bewitched on the ungerminated areas. Might be too little too late at this point, but we'll see how it goes. Cut back on watering as well and will do the best I can to nurse this through the rest of fall and into the Spring. Spring will bring plugs, seed then Philes, alfalfa and milk. I'm not in the ideal situation at all. The bad seed from the vendor hurt but my fault for not checking better once I had it. I'll get there though. Last year's reno is powering through very strong.

Thanks to HLG for the encouragement, advice and some leftover Bewitched!
Thanks! I enjoyed the conversation and your back yard is great!

I'd treat the front more as a spring renovation next year given it's immaturity at this point and ~75% coverage.

You had a confluence of things going on from my perspective - north side of house, under a maple tree with shallow roots, fairly steep grade, crapp seed (not even your wet towel test germinated!), a washout, and some really wet spots. The wet puddles (low lying) and areas with slight gullies from running water down your front slope had no germination, but the higher spots out of the water did, as did areas higher up on that slope. I don't think the sawdust from pine pellets took Nitrogen away you since it all washed down to the hell strip and wasn't crazy thick or anything.

Usually once things germinate you can back off the water and things will take off. That area has a lot of shade and with the cooler temps, you won't need to water much to keep it moist, unlike early August! f you can get a mow or two in on what you have, that will be good too.

OPTION B: Tell Prairie you'll take some Bewitched sod in place of a seed refund and do that front area. :D :D :D

HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy » October 2nd, 2017, 2:33 pm

I've contacted Prairie Creek, I'll be letting you all know what I hear back.

SNOWBOB11
Level: Not Specified

Post by SNOWBOB11 » October 2nd, 2017, 6:06 pm

They sell straight bewitched sod? I didn’t think a sod farm would sell sod with only 1 cultivar.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 9th, 2017, 10:18 am

SNOWBOB11 wrote:
October 2nd, 2017, 6:06 pm
They sell straight bewitched sod? I didn’t think a sod farm would sell sod with only 1 cultivar.
They do!

It's not cheap! Makes me want to start an elite monostand sod farm! :D

--------------------

HD - how is the super late reseed turning out? Any germination? Are those seedlings taking off?

HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy » October 9th, 2017, 10:50 am

I've got decent coverage now. Not great but it's all I can hope for. Spots coming out of S&P so I'll mow tonight.

HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy » October 9th, 2017, 10:53 am

And a couple more. Coverage under that maple in front is going to be poor.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 10th, 2017, 10:46 am

Well, it looks way better than it did a week ago! :good: