smasts 2017 front corner renovation

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
smast16
Grass Type: Front: TTTF & KBG Back: Salad Bar
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

smasts 2017 front corner renovation

Post by smast16 » June 21st, 2017, 9:48 pm

I'm finally going to do something with a neglected section of the yard, meaning the wife finally gave the OK. So i'm officially in for the class of 2017. This section is separated from the main yard by the driveway. It's 1000 sqft of neglected hell. It Used to be part grass and part rock bed with a tree in the grassy aread but they let it go, and never maintained it. The dogwood tree is gone, but the boarding monkey grass is still there. In a corner is a very mature maple tree that i'll need to work with.

Tasks before seed down:
1. Kill everything with roundup (now)
2. Remove Rocks from rock bed as well as cement boarder and black plastic under rocks.
3. Level ground.
4. Soil Sample.
5. Create bed around base of tree.
6. Fallow and eventually kill off what sprouts.
7. During Fallow, figure out how to run hose and sprinkler for irrigation when seed time comes.

I'm really dreading step 2, but it has to happen if i'm going to have anything substantial grow there. In the rock bed now it's just what shallow rooting weeds can eek out a living in what little soil as managed to accumulate between the rocks and the plastic liner.

The long term big picture goal here is to make this area look so good, the wife will let me Reno the main 5k area of the front.

smast16

Re: smasts 2017 front corner renovation

Post by smast16 » June 21st, 2017, 9:58 pm

Here are some pictures of the area. I just sprayed Glyphosate on it yesterday, and i took the pictures today. I wanted to get a picture before it all died off. I will probably scalp it Sat. or Sunday coming up. Ohh, and i forgot to add that this area is where my and 2 neighbors mailboxes are, but they are cool with this.

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Marinegrunt » June 22nd, 2017, 11:04 am

Looks like you have some work to ahead of you. I bet you'll reno the rest next fall.

If you haven't already check into getting the seed you want. You might decide on a certain type but it could end up being hard to find or completely out of stock. If you want a perfect lawn you have to start with the seed.

I'm planning on seed down around the middle of August.

smast16

Post by smast16 » June 22nd, 2017, 11:50 am

I called Hogans and looked at seed super store to see what cultuvars they had. I then made an excel sheet of all the data points for those cultivars to select which I want from my local NTEP testing site. This way I can look just at the cultivars I can get instead of all the ones being tested at my local site, which is like 60. I can also look at a few years of progress reports on one sheet and get an idea of how it averages year after year.

The wife flat out said no to full front reno, but I'm hoping to change her mind by getting this section to look amazing.

smast16

Post by smast16 » June 24th, 2017, 9:08 pm

Scalped the reno area after the full glypho app earlier this week. Most is looking pretty dead. Loriope will probably need another app this week. That stuff is still really green. Bermuda that is invading is hurting, but I know its got a few (maybe more than a few) surprises in store yet. Ill probably do another full app of glypho this week.

Changed out the hose bib. It was leaking, but it was only supplied with 1/2 in pex. Changed it out for 1/2 copper which should get me a few gpm more. Purchased a aqua melnor 4 zone timer for the reno watering.

Up next in a week or two is shoveling that gravel. That'll take 2 weekends or more.

smast16

Post by smast16 » July 9th, 2017, 9:47 pm

Noticed some crab grass sprouting in the Reno area. I watered the area real good (1"). Loriope is looking more brown, but still not dead. Hoping watering it over the next week will spruce it back up so I can come in with the finishing hit. Also looks like some of the ky 31 is bouncing back. That crap is tough i'll give it that. No signs of life out of the Bermuda, but I'm not letting my guard down just yet.

smast16

Post by smast16 » July 11th, 2017, 3:34 pm

I've overseeded bare spots in the main lawn last year and used peat moss as a top dressing. I had a lot of trouble in the first few days getting it wet due to its hydrophobic tendencies. It only got wet after hurricane Matthew dropped 6" of rain for me. Anyone have any tips for getting past the initial hydrophobic properties, or what are y'alls thoughts on foregoing peat moss in favor of something else?

On another note, I've selected hot rod, firewall, and houndog 8 for my mix. I was starting to get myself into analysis paralysis with my decision. I'm thinking 30lbs total with 40% hot rod and 30% of both firewall and houndog 8. Now just to actually call up hogan and order it this weekend.

smast16

Post by smast16 » July 13th, 2017, 9:45 am

Watered reno area last night. Crab grass is really sprouting up now in the reno area. 2nd round of glypho coming this weekend.

smast16

Post by smast16 » July 15th, 2017, 10:04 pm

2nd app of glyphosate went down. Bermuda was starting to green up again in places, as well as some Crab grass and source.

smast16

Post by smast16 » July 17th, 2017, 11:44 am

Ok, so I might be changing years and I need you all to either encourage me, or talk sense into me.

Ive read the ever living [banned word] out of some reno threads past, particularly ecupirate and nclg. Aannnddd now I want kbg. My thinking is this is an isolated section, and only 1k sqft, so I think it would be a great place to test my hand with kbg.

Anyways, that's what im thinking, but I'd love to hear others opinions and thoughts. Good or bad.

smast16

Post by smast16 » July 17th, 2017, 5:40 pm

There's a typo. I meant to say I'm thinking of changing gears, not years. Oops. Still seeding this fall.

smast16

Re: smasts 2017 NC KBG Experiment

Post by smast16 » July 21st, 2017, 8:57 am

Changed the title of the Reno to better reflect what i'm doing.

Well i'm doing it... KBG seed is enroute. I'm going with a 50 / 50 mix of NUglade and Award. They were consistently top performers, even the top 2 in 2009, at local NTEP (plus ECUPirate and NCLG previous use of NUGLADE). I know they are from the same Classification group, but I have to be so vigilant with disease anyways here with TTTF, won't be any different than normal.

nclawnguy
Grass Type: tttf
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by nclawnguy » July 21st, 2017, 1:01 pm

I loved NuGlade, it was a bit thicker bladed than Bewitched, but I liked it better. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see it mature. New owners have kind of made a mess of the lawn since I moved 2 year ago. I would use NuGlade again if I go the kbg route at my new place.

Since NuGlade and Award are from the same class, I would just go with one or the other. I don't think you'll get any advantage from a blend with those 2. Bewitched is always a good go to with a blend since it can handle a bit more shade.

smast16

Post by smast16 » July 21st, 2017, 4:10 pm

Seed's already on it's way. I was mixed on this as well, but i've read things that just because they are in the same class, there is still varying differences (while minor) in disease resistance. I really wanted another KBG from another class, but really the Compact-Midnights are the only ones that do well in the Raleigh Ntep, except for Zinfendel, but that topic is a beaten horse for sure. More so my reasoning is to grow both in this test pot, select the one that does the best for me, and move forward with that one (reno '18??)

What would be your biggest reason to not go KBG in your new place? Size? That would be a lot to irrigate.

nclawnguy
Grass Type: tttf
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by nclawnguy » July 21st, 2017, 11:14 pm

smast16 wrote:
July 21st, 2017, 4:10 pm
What would be your biggest reason to not go KBG in your new place? Size? That would be a lot to irrigate.
32k sqft of full unrelenting NC sun is the main reason. Irrigation won't be an issue once I get it installed, I have a well with good pressure. I'm thinking about doing a tttf/kbg blend, but also looking into zoysia for part of my yard. Won't have to make that decision until next year though. I have not ruled out 100% kbg, might do a test plot this fall on a 1000sqft. I havr some 3 yr old NuGlade left over.

smast16

Post by smast16 » July 23rd, 2017, 8:09 pm

Started removing the rock bed today. 48 cu ft of rock removedand I'm only 1/3 done. Doesnt help today was 95. So far I've found 3 layers of plastic. Top layer is all rock about 2-3" thick. 2nd layer is 1" of rock. 3rd layer is no rock, but about 1" of soil. I only found that last layer by accident. I'm going to need to order soil to back fill this all.

Entertained the idea of renting a backhoe from HD but I'm worried about damaging to roots to the tree. The roots I did pull are dead and probably to the old dog wood.

smast16

Post by smast16 » July 23rd, 2017, 8:37 pm

Pic of the progress.

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Marinegrunt » July 24th, 2017, 11:19 pm

I wouldn't worry about damaging the roots unless you're digging right up at the base of the tree or plan on getting crazy with the hoe. It's amazing how much root damage a tree can take and be fine I had to dig a 5' deep trench about 4' off of the trunk of a birch tree and it's still thriving 8 years later at a house we use to live in. If you're just scraping the top 6"-12" of ground I'd go for it if you want. Just take it easy of you run into a bigger root. I wouldn't worry about the smaller ones.

smast16

Post by smast16 » July 27th, 2017, 8:38 am

Seeds are in. I've started 36 Pots. Weather is lining up to be low 80's and cloudy this weekend. Perfect weather to get after this rock bed.

NCSU
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass

Post by NCSU » July 27th, 2017, 6:13 pm

How's your shade looking? I've noticed my areas that get a decent shade break during this heat are doing well and need far less water than my sunnier areas.