Anything wrong with my KBG seed mix?

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
jimmy
Grass Type: Front: Award/Bewitched KBG|Back: NoMix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Anything wrong with my KBG seed mix?

Post by jimmy » June 30th, 2017, 4:58 pm

I'm planning a front/side lawn reno for this fall (Fall 2017). The village is redoing our street and replacing our gas/water/sewer, which means digging up some of our front lawn. I wanted to do a reno anyway, but this helps get my wife on board :)

I have mostly sun but one side near the back has a bit more shade due to tall trees and a fence. I still think it gets 4 hours, but some parts of the year (early spring/late fall) maybe not. The house also causes some shade, but not enough to mess with KBG.

40% Bewitched
30% Award
30% Diva

If the shadiest area does poorly, I'll just overseed with a shade-happy FF in fall 2018.

Thoughts?

P.S. I'm planning on using Seed Superstore...any cheaper supplier recommendations are appreciated or thoughts/experiences on SSS!

STL
Grass Type: TTTF

Re: Anything wrong with my KBG seed mix?

Post by STL » June 30th, 2017, 7:56 pm

jimmy wrote:
June 30th, 2017, 4:58 pm
I'm planning a front/side lawn reno for this fall (Fall 2017). The village is redoing our street and replacing our gas/water/sewer, which means digging up some of our front lawn. I wanted to do a reno anyway, but this helps get my wife on board :)

I have mostly sun but one side near the back has a bit more shade due to tall trees and a fence. I still think it gets 4 hours, but some parts of the year (early spring/late fall) maybe not. The house also causes some shade, but not enough to mess with KBG.

40% Bewitched
30% Award
30% Diva

If the shadiest area does poorly, I'll just overseed with a shade-happy FF in fall 2018.

Thoughts?

P.S. I'm planning on using Seed Superstore...any cheaper supplier recommendations are appreciated or thoughts/experiences on SSS!
Check out Preferred Seed and Pawnee Butte. I've bought from both and SSS with no issues. Hogan and Williams are options too. You'll have to call them to see what they have and to order. Unless you're set on Diva for a specific reason, check out other options. Per NTEP it's quite a bit lighter than the others. It's also a compact like bewitched. Typically you pick one from each type for increased diversity.

jimmy
Grass Type: Front: Award/Bewitched KBG|Back: NoMix

Post by jimmy » July 1st, 2017, 1:24 am

STL wrote:
June 30th, 2017, 7:56 pm

Check out Preferred Seed and Pawnee Butte. I've bought from both and SSS with no issues. Hogan and Williams are options too. You'll have to call them to see what they have and to order. Unless you're set on Diva for a specific reason, check out other options. Per NTEP it's quite a bit lighter than the others. It's also a compact like bewitched. Typically you pick one from each type for increased diversity.
Thanks for the info! After doing more research, I'm not terribly impressed by the NTEP ratings for Compact-America types. Bewitched and Award seem to check all the boxes that I'm looking for, maybe I'll do a duostand. If adding a third (CA) is recommended, Prosperity seems ok and should match in color. Mazama or Rhapsody also look pretty good, but I'm not finding them in small enough quantities...since I'm only seeding about 3500sq ft.

greenrebellion
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by greenrebellion » July 1st, 2017, 7:56 am

jimmy wrote:
July 1st, 2017, 1:24 am
STL wrote:
June 30th, 2017, 7:56 pm

Thanks for the info! After doing more research, I'm not terribly impressed by the NTEP ratings for Compact-America types. Bewitched and Award seem to check all the boxes that I'm looking for, maybe I'll do a duostand. If adding a third (CA) is recommended, Prosperity seems ok and should match in color. Mazama or Rhapsody also look pretty good, but I'm not finding them in small enough quantities...since I'm only seeding about 3500sq ft.
I did Bewitched / Award / Prosperity last year after tons of research. Granted my renovation failed for reasons unrelated to the chosen cultivars so I don't have pictures to show you, but I still think those three are a good combo. Also, SSS has all three of those cultivars so you can order a premixed bag from them.

STL
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by STL » July 1st, 2017, 9:17 am

Yeah, typically you have to buy like 5 pounds at a time. I know you only have the go-ahead on the front, but how big is the back yard for next fall? You know.... Gotta make buying seed worth it after all :cool:

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)

Post by g-man » July 1st, 2017, 10:39 am

^ + it is always good to have extra in case of a torrential downpour washes the seed away.

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by schreibdave » July 15th, 2019, 3:16 pm

Jimmy - what did you ultimately go with? I am looking at Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody from Preferred Seed.