HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: SNOWBOB11 Bewitched Monostand Renovation 2017

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » September 27th, 2017, 10:02 am

jglongisland wrote:
September 26th, 2017, 11:00 pm
If you have hit every blade 2x with the mower I would consider getting that pre-M down within a week, as well as tenacity (even if the latter is at a low dose). You have such awesome establishment now I think you need to keep that poa at bay.
+1

Dithiopyr is the 'safest' pre-emergent for new seedlings and can be applied after the second cut. Do some google-fu on Zac Reicher research @ msu / nebraska et al. He has done a lot of research on how soon you can safely apply that particular pre-emergent.

SNOWBOB11
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Not Specified

Post by SNOWBOB11 » September 27th, 2017, 10:46 am

Yes, Greenrebellion did mention Zac Reicher's research on Dithiopyr. I took a look at it and it does seem to be the best PRE for new seedlings. I didn't think I could get the granular dimension at first but I actually can. Here's a link to one I'm able to get. https://www.seedworldusa.com/products/d ... ide-25-lbs. It has 0.25% Dithiopyr. There's a few different dimensions on the market. There's one with 40% Dithiopyr, and then you have the liquid ones as well. Does anyone see any issue with the 25% Dithiopyr granular one? I like this because it does not contain any fertilizer mixed with the pre-em. I'm thinking I'll use this this fall and then switch to prodiamine next spring.

jglongisland
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified

Post by jglongisland » September 27th, 2017, 7:37 pm

Its so late that the difference between Prodiamine and Dimension is pretty small; you really only need 60-75 days of coverage at that point.

I would try to put it down and perhaps put a drop cloth over the baby seedlings.

SNOWBOB11

Post by SNOWBOB11 » September 27th, 2017, 10:03 pm

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

SNOWBOB11

Post by SNOWBOB11 » October 1st, 2017, 11:19 pm

Today I did a blanket spray of tenacity at 4 oz acre rate. Hoping to get any poa or other grassy weeds that might have germinated by any chance as well as extend the initial pre-em app of tenacity until I can get my dimension down later this month. Will be interested to see if I get any whitening of the grass over the next few days/weeks.

I also gave the lawn it’s first cut with the gas mower today. Before this it’s been only cut with a reel mower. It was nice to finally use the gas mower on the lawn. The reel is nice but it leaves a lot of uncut areas of grass where the wheels track.

I am only going to be able to get in 1 or 2 more apps of urea before we get to my avarage first frost date and I have to stop until final winterizer goes down. The urea has done a great job of helping the grass thicken up and get stronger and look more like an established lawn.

Another thing I noticed was several areas have blades giving off rhizone shoots that are poping up to help fill in the bare areas. I pulled a couple blades to look at the shoots coming off them and it’s super cool to see. This is earlier than I was expecting to see the grass sending off shoots. I can’t wait to see it really send shoots next spring.

SNOWBOB11

Post by SNOWBOB11 » October 10th, 2017, 10:23 pm

I’m starting to second guess my app of tenacity 9 days ago. The hole lawn has turned really light green. There’s lots of white bleaching going on. Honestly most all of the bleaching is just bewitched that’s turned off colour. I don’t think there is really any poa a going on anywhere. What I’m worried about is if there is enough time for the grass to grow out the bleached blades. I’ve noticed in the last week too growth has slowed slightly so not sure if there’s enough time left. I got my dimension today and I think maybe I should of just gone straight to that and skipped the tenacity. I guess it’s not a big deal but it’s a bit worrisome to see your fresh new grass turn such a ugly colour. Either way the dimension is going down later this week.

I was contemplating doing one more app of urea tomorrow but I think being we’re now past my avg first frost date I’ll leave it until winterizer next month.

Things are going ok and I’m glad it doesn’t look like there’s any grassy weeds to contend with but the bleaching has me in a bad grass mood today. :-p

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Marinegrunt » October 11th, 2017, 7:57 am

I also applied Tenacity at 4 oz/acre at 30 days. I had a fungus hit my reno so had to do some major spot seeding. That was at the 30 day mark so figured the Tenacity will help prevent weeds in the bare spots and kill off any current weeds. It took about a week but now the lawn is really bleached white. From reading other posts I think it's normal. I wouldn't worry about it too much. There's still plenty of growing season left for it to recover. If I make it home from work before dark I'll try and take a picture so you can compare. I planted TTTF + 10% KBG so it might not be a perfect comparison.

I think we'll be fine though.

smast16
Grass Type: Front: TTTF & KBG Back: Salad Bar

Post by smast16 » October 11th, 2017, 8:51 am

My experience, bleaching peaks at days day 10, and then gets better from there and mostly gone by day 21. I think you're good.

I wouldn't put anymore urea down. I'm betting you get a frost (or really close to it) next week with this big cold front being predicted for the eastern NA next week.

SNOWBOB11

Post by SNOWBOB11 » October 11th, 2017, 10:20 am

Thanks guys, marinegrunt if you do get a chance to snap a pic it would be appreciated.

I know bleaching is normal from what I’ve seen but wasn’t sure if maybe I applied too late with not enough time for recovery. If in and around 21 days is normal for recovery I should be fine though, I still have a few weeks of growth left. Thanks for easing my worrying a bit guys.

SNOWBOB11

Post by SNOWBOB11 » October 11th, 2017, 2:19 pm

Thanks guys. If you get a chance to take a pic of your lawn marinegrunt I'd appreciate it. I know looking at others who have applied tenacity that the lawn does bleach but I just wasn't sure if there is enough time left to grow it out. If it usually takes 21 days or so then I should have enough time. Thanks for easing my worrying guys.

SNOWBOB11

Post by SNOWBOB11 » October 13th, 2017, 8:43 pm

Took a couple pics of my bleached lawn after a cut today. Growth has really slowed from what it was a few weeks ago. I’m hoping the bleaching will dissipate before top growth stops completely next month. First pic actually makes it look worse than it actually is. Second pic is more like what it looks like in person. I don’t know if maybe I went a bit heavy on the tenacity or something but man it’s such an ugly colour right now.

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » October 14th, 2017, 10:49 am

SNOWBOB11 wrote:
October 11th, 2017, 10:20 am
Thanks guys, marinegrunt if you do get a chance to snap a pic it would be appreciated.

I know bleaching is normal from what I’ve seen but wasn’t sure if maybe I applied too late with not enough time for recovery. If in and around 21 days is normal for recovery I should be fine though, I still have a few weeks of growth left. Thanks for easing my worrying a bit guys.
I get off at 5:00 today so will snap a picture when I get home. It's even whiter now than it was. I'm at day 12 since spraying so sounds like it should start greening back up or growing out of it. I'm not sure how the white color goes away.

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » October 14th, 2017, 7:45 pm

Unfortunately I still wasn't able to snap a picture. I'll be around all day tomorrow so will take one then.

SNOWBOB11

Post by SNOWBOB11 » October 14th, 2017, 8:04 pm

No worries. Don’t put yourself out for me just for a pic. It gets dark so early now that theres no time to get anything done anymore in the evening. It is what it is. If it grows out the bleaching before winter or not there’s no sense me concerning myself with it. It’s too late now for me to do anything about it so it’s not a big deal. It’s just annoying to have to look at a white lawn lol.

JohnP
Grass Type: KBG Mix

Post by JohnP » October 14th, 2017, 8:34 pm

Even though you feel it’s an ugly color right now it still is looking real nice! I bet it grows out of it in time for Halloween or is at least less noticeable.

jglongisland

Post by jglongisland » October 14th, 2017, 8:39 pm

My lawn took a real beating from Tenacity, which was exacerbated from leaf spot. It's a bit more than 1 year old and I wanted to make sure I got the poa. The last Tenacity hit (3x at 4 oz/acre rate) was 9/25, and the recover is showing now (as well as the lack of poa). I still have 6 solid weeks of growth (in a typical season) so I should be OK. Even though I have some ugly bare patches I now I've got a good foundation for next year. Last year I seeded so late I wasn't able to get any tenacity down other than the initial seeding and I had a lot of poa throughout the year.

SNOWBOB11

Post by SNOWBOB11 » October 14th, 2017, 9:18 pm

Thanks Johnp. Good to know jglongisland. From what I’ve read from others it does seem like in general it does take about 3 weeks before you start to see the bleaching dissipate. This is the first year I’m using herbicides of any kind (other than round-up) and I’m learning as I go. If I could go back and do it again I’d apply the tenacity maybe 7-10 days earlier so it had more time to grow the bleaching out. I don’t think there is any harm in it not fully recovering from the bleaching before top growth stops but I’d prefer to go into winter with more green than white. The good thing is I feel I am and will be fully poa a free going into next year.

jglongisland

Post by jglongisland » October 14th, 2017, 10:21 pm

You may not be poa free and a first year lawn is a slow grower, but even one more application after seeding makes a huge difference.

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » October 15th, 2017, 12:52 pm

I think it has been almost 2 weeks since I applied the Tenacity before spot seeding. It was applied on 3 week old grass. The bleaching is starting to look better but still has a ways to go. I need to work on getting more even coverage. The overlap is where I had most my bleaching. I used tracking dye but I think I need to keep the wand closer to the ground and move faster. I was putting down a gallon every K though. I did mow once since so the bleaching doesn't look as bad as it was.

jglongisland

Post by jglongisland » October 15th, 2017, 3:10 pm

You'll be OK so long as you don't get a nasty cold snap in the next 2-3 weeks.