SyNTaxx 2017 renovation 17k sqft....

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
mtroberts20
Grass Type: Front: Northern Mix; Back: TTTF (Regenerate)
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: SyNTaxx 2017 renovation 17k sqft....

Post by mtroberts20 » August 14th, 2017, 3:46 pm

Do you have any problem with your Rainbird 5000 rotors not doing a complete 360 rotation? I only have one rotor set to the max arc, and it only goes maybe 350 degrees. Wondering if that is common, or if switching it out with another one might remedy that.

SyNtAxx
Grass Type: KBG: Blueberry/Prosperity/Bewitched
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by SyNtAxx » August 14th, 2017, 4:55 pm

mtroberts20 wrote:
August 14th, 2017, 3:46 pm
Do you have any problem with your Rainbird 5000 rotors not doing a complete 360 rotation? I only have one rotor set to the max arc, and it only goes maybe 350 degrees. Wondering if that is common, or if switching it out with another one might remedy that.
I haven't taken notice to that specifically. I did notice some dry spots that should be wet so I'll take a closer look. Thanks for the observation.

-Nick

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » August 18th, 2017, 9:12 pm

So, I managed to seed another 5500 sqft this week and set up the irrigation for it. That brings me to about two thirds of tbe way to completion or about 12k sqft seeded with another 5500 sqft to go. I should wrap up the seeding tbis weekend and be on auto pilot and perhaps some tenacity apps.

The initial seeded area has germination ar day 6 and should be full fuzz by Monday. I have 5 zones with 4 or 5 rotor heads each deployed so far and will likely end up with 7 or 8 zones when all is said and done with about 32 rotors for coverage for this years deployment. I decided to use 1in poly from feed to rotor head. Im considering burying next years irrigation as it will be for the rear yard which is much smaller and reasonable to irrigate if needed....for my viewing pleasure.

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » August 19th, 2017, 7:40 pm

im guessing ive got a total loss on the most recent 5500 sqft. Not sure what to make of the germinating plot atm. Either way I will continue to seed the fresh ground until completed and then circle back to the sloped areas. Might have to dip into next years seed supply to resolve the issue.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by ken-n-nancy » August 19th, 2017, 7:57 pm

SyNtAxx wrote:
August 19th, 2017, 7:40 pm
im guessing ive got a total loss on the most recent 5500 sqft.
Ouch! Was that the result of one of those thunderstorms where it rains about an inch in about 20 minutes?

Those seem to be the bane of my renovation attempts....

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » August 19th, 2017, 8:20 pm

yes...i guess i was away for that night and wasnt expecting it. I just completed a rough seed inventory i should have about 12# left over which shoukd be enough to ober seed it. going to finish virgin area firt tomorrow and circle back...rake out etc. havent decided to wait till anything germs or just drop the hammer. i will inspect tomorrow closer...thus was just a " hi im home visit" .

O well...luck of the draw..this time i lost.

Nick

probasesteal
Grass Type: FRONT: SPF30, NuGlad and Midnight. BACK: Hogan's TTTF with SPF30 HBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by probasesteal » August 19th, 2017, 10:18 pm

I would see what germinates, but yeah, you will need to overseed
Sorry.

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » August 20th, 2017, 1:40 pm

I spent about an hour and a half in the seeded areas this morning after devastating rains. I raked the area and resettled the peat and covered most spots..might need some spot oeat applications. I ordered 30# more seed as its obvious i will be overseeding...even the area thats grrminating i feat took heavy losses. I will likely be reseeding the newest plot at 2# instead of 3# per 1k ft.

The area that is germinating i may wait a few days to decide course of action there. I have an area of about 6500 feet left to seed.

Here are some pictures. Last pic is neighbors yard..were all my seed went. They will have a nice dark green streak or two soon.

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Level: Some Experience

Post by Marinegrunt » August 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

There's not much we can do about washouts. That's my biggest concern after I seed next weekend. It's a shame it happened but you have enough determination and attention to detail that you'll get it all figured out.

I used a BX25 for all my drain tile, some small stump removal, water main, garden pond, landscaping, etc. It's a great little tractor and perfect for us who have a couple acres or less. It amazes me how many different attachments it has. I love that tractor.

Do you know if I can use a similar irrigation timer for 7 zones? I have quite a few zones because of corners and trying to keep it off the porch and patios. I just bought a bunch of $3 impulse sprinklers. I wonder how much better sprinklers would work.

I teed into my water main right where it came into the house and ran 3/4" poly outside. I then used a full port ball valve for my shutoff. I went from 8 gpm from our hose spigot to 16 gpm. Your poly pipe idea inspired me to go this route. I wanted to use 1" poly but didn't have a long enough length but did in 3/4. I'm happy my gpm doubled!

Keep up the great work. I'm sure it'll turn out like the rest of your renos which look amazing.

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » August 20th, 2017, 6:31 pm

thanks for the pep talk! Weather shows potetial for storms monday and wednesday..so im sorta in a homding pattern for now.

Using rotors for sure would be more accurate and better overall coverage. I have 3 melnor 4 port timers that i use. I daisy chain of multiple brass 4 port hise bibs. So it can work.

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Level: Some Experience

Post by Marinegrunt » August 20th, 2017, 9:43 pm

On the Melnor timers are you able to program each zone to run like every 3 hours? I tried reading online and watching videos but nobody really explains the "how often". I understand the start, stop, some, and how long. It did say you can adjust the how often in hours but does that mean in one hour increments?

I think I might pick a couple up. Would make things much easier.

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » August 20th, 2017, 10:22 pm

Marinegrunt wrote:
August 20th, 2017, 9:43 pm
On the Melnor timers are you able to program each zone to run like every 3 hours? I tried reading online and watching videos but nobody really explains the "how often". I understand the start, stop, some, and how long. It did say you can adjust the how often in hours but does that mean in one hour increments?

I think I might pick a couple up. Would make things much easier.
Yes..you can set each zone to come on at certain intervals. Depending on what stage of growth im at I vary the frequency from every 2 hours to every 4 hours. Your yard and intervals will be different. I think they are pretty decent and have not had any issues with them. I get them off Amazon...but you might also find thrn on ebay also. You might also be able to download a copy of the manual from melnor website to make sure its got what you want in a timer.

Nick

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » August 23rd, 2017, 9:14 pm

I had another heavy storm and washout last
Luckiky I didnt reseed anything yet. My additional seed reserves arrived today. I plan on working oitside tomorrow. The hill that washed out has some poppers and sporatic germination. Im not holding out much hope there is much seed remaining on ground. Hopefully I can pull this out if the gutter.

Thanks,

Nick

greenrebellion
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG

Post by greenrebellion » August 23rd, 2017, 10:30 pm

Your huge area reno threads are fun to read and watch. Sorry about the washout, I'm sure you'll get things back on track!

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » August 24th, 2017, 8:19 pm

Today I spent jiat about the entire day seeding 6500sqft. This was the last remaining unseeded area to be completed. In preparation for today I sprayed any green grown yesterday with one last shot of roundup.

I raked and leveled any areas of soil washout as best i could as I wasnt ordering any more topsoil. Mixed up my seed for the day and got to stepping. I should know by now...always takes longer than what you think it will. Unfortunately I wasnt able to set up my sprinklers to water in..so it will have to wait till tomorrow now.

Washed out hill is germinating...I haven't taken a close look yet...but will complicate my recovery efforts. 1st section seeded is finally starting to tint green. It will need some light seeding overall with normal rates in some stripped areas from mini river during rain.

Nick

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » August 25th, 2017, 3:57 pm

I had time to install the last of the irrigation system. Normally thjs would be a celebration point as i can go on autopilot untill its time to spray or drop fert. Since I has 2 major washouts Im going to try and knock out reseeding tomorrow 12 hour shift as i need to recover potentially 12k ft. and repeat.

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » August 26th, 2017, 7:26 pm

So with the help of my brother in law...i was able to reseed
about 11.5k sqft and repeat it. there was some germination on the crest of the hill and i chose not to level rake those areas even if the previous peat was not flush as it will degrade over time anyways. The middle had decent germination but was all layed over. i seeded and covered again we will see what happens. Now it just on auto pilot and i can focus on othwr duties like pre m and fertilizer as the front yard is starving.

The last pic shows a preview of one of the last areas to be completed next year. Hoping next year is last year since I went big this year. The final area should come in under 10k sqft. Ahhh...them im done.

Nick

SNOWBOB11
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Not Specified

Post by SNOWBOB11 » August 26th, 2017, 10:25 pm

Hopefully no more t-storms for you this time. I've had a lot of storms this year where I live but luckily other than one quick heavy rain no major storms since I seeded my lawn. With fall coming fast and temps already dropping hopfully you'll get away from any more wash outs.

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » September 3rd, 2017, 5:05 pm

so i had somemore washout with the remnants of harvey passing through....i guess the good news is the 2nd application of seed had germinated and stayed in place mostly. I havent inpected the damange uo close and will wait to see what stands back up before i start repairs.

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » September 3rd, 2017, 5:08 pm

general germination shots. Middle zone has alot of annua growing. I have a wick applicator im going to try on it with roundup. Should be easy as its about 3in tall.