Tyler's 2017 Front/Side KBG Blend Reno

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
SNOWBOB11
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Not Specified

Re: Tyler's 2017 Front/Side KBG Blend Reno

Post by SNOWBOB11 » September 9th, 2017, 1:48 pm

Waiting is the most difficult part isn't it? :) Its looking good though. It's crazy how much more full the areas where the stepping stones were are. The rest of the lawn soon looks like that for sure.

Jackpine
Grass Type: N.W. Mi. KBG blend
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by Jackpine » September 11th, 2017, 5:17 am

Looking good. Just checked your forecast for the coming week and it looks very favorable to get growth moving along. :good:

Cogeng182
Grass Type: Front/Side: Blueberry, Bewitched, Everest Back: NoMix
Lawn Size: Not Specified

Post by Cogeng182 » September 16th, 2017, 11:23 pm

Day 28

Still seeing slow growth, you can't really see it in my low res pics but all areas have germinated grass, just not really growing yet. Even with the not so great looking patchiness, there is a good bit that is coming out of pout mode.

.25 lb/k N went down yesterday from 16-16-16, I plan to continue this weekly. Hopefully this also helps the lighter color KBG in the topsoil fill areas, this must be due to a nutrient deficiency, it is definitely not Poa A. I am thinking a dose of Tenacity next weekend also to help with the weed situation until i can put down some prodiamine around day 60.

You guys think I am on the right track?

Cheesto
Grass Type: 2017 KGB Reno: Bewitched, Prosperity, Moonlight SLT, Endurance
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Post by Cheesto » September 17th, 2017, 12:08 pm

I'm about a week behind you - you're looking just fine. I'm also finding that areas with topsoil are night and day better than areas without topsoil. What type of 'spoon feeding' are you doing?

Cogeng182

Post by Cogeng182 » September 17th, 2017, 1:33 pm

I just started the .25 lb N/k balanced 16-16-16 fertilizer weekly. Using this due to my soil analysis interpretation, otherwise I would have used Urea.

Sicride
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by Sicride » September 17th, 2017, 4:38 pm

Looks like blsc and kelp help might be a good idea too. Everything is fine progress wise and that could only help naturally loosen the soil to improve spreading. Some of them are areas have more of a light gray almost white color which indicates standing water like I have in my yard which lead to very hard water rejecting soils.

Cogeng182

Post by Cogeng182 » September 23rd, 2017, 7:48 pm

Day 35

Becoming more of a lawn bit by bit. Still not long enough to mow and the patchiness remains but is filling in. Weed pressure is ramping up, will be applying 4oz rate Tenacity tomorrow with NIS, will water it in the following day, hoping to get both pre and post emergent effect from it. The label states to water it in within 10 days so I think it should work, let me know if any of you have experience otherwise.

I am going to let the biggest bare patches go for another week or so then probably use the dozen 6" pots I have going to speed up the process.

Cogeng182

Post by Cogeng182 » September 30th, 2017, 5:28 pm

Day 42

Did my first cut yesterday, probably should have done it a bit earlier but I was using my rotary mower so I wanted to wait until it was a bit more established to handle the weight better. I'm now watering every other day, some of the shady lower parts still stay moist round the clock with the cooler weather we have been having but I have not noticed any disease yet, fingers crossed.

There is a bit of tenacity bleaching from last weeks application, thinking that should fade by next week right? I switched it up from triple 16 fertilizer to urea for the rest of the season, will see how it responds.

I was also going to use my pots in the more bare areas but when I went to do it noticed the pots had fungus going on so decided to not risk it spreading to the reno. Will have to just depend on the natural spreading and frequent urea. So far I am mostly satisfied with the results because I know it will fill in all the way next spring but I would be lying if I didn't admit the germination was less than stellar.

Cogeng182

Post by Cogeng182 » October 7th, 2017, 10:08 pm

Day 49

Mowed again, has grown enough to cut about 25% of it. There is a bit of residual bleaching from Tenacity but the turf fills in a little bit more every week. Will get in one more round of Urea before the pause.

Cogeng182

Post by Cogeng182 » October 14th, 2017, 9:36 pm

Day 56

I'm pretty happy with the color now, but the filling in will have to wait for springtime I think. Going back through my pictures though, considering the poor germination in some areas, I really am impressed how far it has come.

Cogeng182

Post by Cogeng182 » April 8th, 2018, 10:28 pm

Spring update! Grass is mostly actively growing, will wait for the rest to show active growth before making my first fertilizer application for the year. Still a bit clumpy looking but I am confident its going to look great this year.