__JT’s__2017 front yard_renovation_

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
__JT__
Grass Type: Northern Mix (20% each of Midnight, Diva, and Everglade Kentucky bluegrass, and 20% Zodiac chewings fescue and 20% Fiesta 4 perennial ryegrass) with Bewitched mixed into shade
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

__JT’s__2017 front yard_renovation_

Post by __JT__ » August 5th, 2017, 8:04 am

I’m eliminating zoysia from my 4K front lawn. Zoysia isn’t a good performer in my area, so I’m seeding a northern mix. I’m using the same mix as my 2016 back yard reno (the mix on my side bar ID). The only change is that I’m further mixing in a percentage of bewitched within the shaded areas. I’m also going back into last year’s reno and reseeding 1K with the bewitched mix. Up to this point, I have:

All seed is acquired.

Last year, I had a tree guy cull out some mature oak and pine from a wooded turf border. He also removed a ~30’ spruce and scrub pine from inside lawn area. I had him leave a few yards of chips for the border. I aged them for a year before I used them.

The spruce was about 20’ wide at base. He ground the stumps down, but there were many extended roots for me to pull up afterwards. A lot of shallow roots, that came up like cables out of the ground, but also fat ones that could be snapped with a lever, or cut with a sawsall.

Planted a magnolia tree (Elizabeth)

Rented a bed edger, and did entire yard. Its 10K turf situated on a wooded acre lot, so actually a decent perimeter of edge got plowed out.

Had the in-ground sprinkler system expanded to include front yard (three zones, 15 heads). One of the guys did me a solid, and pulled out more of the spruce roots from the ground during install.

Starting in mid June, I applied three rounds of glyphosate, two weeks apart. I mixed in an adjuvant containing ammonium sulfate into the gly, and used a fine mist nozzle. I applied .5#N/K urea, at mid point fallow. This will make week 7 of the fallow, and the zoysia lawn is a total kill. I’m real happy to finally have a northern mix only yard.

With the sprinklers going, I’ve been getting moss. I sprayed with dish soap (4oz per gallon concentration).

I went into last years reno area, and marked out 1K with a string line. It goes along a border where oaks cast shade. The grass came in last year, but I got an idea to overseed bewitched into it. I sprayed that with a PGR @.66% label rate.

This is the first summer here (2012). I found pic on street view Google maps. It documents the original zoysia lawn:

This pic is from yesterday afternoon:

This is the area where the big spruce was. It had to go. It made too much shade, and algae was growing on the siding:

__JT__
Grass Type: Northern Mix (20% each of Midnight, Diva, and Everglade Kentucky bluegrass, and 20% Zodiac chewings fescue and 20% Fiesta 4 perennial ryegrass) with Bewitched mixed into shade

Re: __JT’s__2017 front yard_renovation_

Post by __JT__ » August 7th, 2017, 9:26 am

I’ve been raking this week end. It’s probably not necessary, as I gave the yard a good scalping, and after seven weeks of fallowing, the ground is pliable. It could be good to go, but…it was an established zoysia lawn and has a mesh stolons and rhizomes. So, I did a judgment call and decided to give it a final raking/leveling polishing. I’ve been getting about a wheel barrow full of “thatch matter” per 500 sf. Although there is soil mixed in to that. It becomes a sort of mush. It’s also a good time to get a lot of small stones out. There will be a few more days of this…

I’ll give it a final application of glyphosate before seed down, and tenacity, then another tenacity a month after that.

I got two yards of material delivered. One of compost, and one of screened loam. I’m aware that bringing in foreign material brings in weeds, but I had to weigh that against the need to level out uneven areas. Last year, I used four yards of compost to top dress 4K. This year I decided to use less, mixed with loam, and apply it more as a leveler. Any left over will be for this fall’s plantings. I also got seven 3.8 cf bales of peat moss (6 bales for 4K and 1 for 1K over-seed).

__JT__

Post by __JT__ » August 11th, 2017, 1:19 pm

I got the entire 4K raked out. I will go in and touch it up with a final leveling/grading. It was tedious and time consuming, but I got into a groove…“wax on, wax off”.

Underneath some pine chips, I found some zoysia rhizomes with green blades, spindly, but signs of life. I was surprised, because part of my gly spraying regimen was pulling back mulch beds. Some parts got more sprays than the main yard. Glad I caught this blind spot. I was prepping to plant an azalea in this corner, as it gets some sprinkler overlap. So, I’ll be raking this border back and spraying, and checking back next year.

I gradually brought the HOC of my adjoining over-seed area down to 1.75”. The shape that I marked out follows along a shade line. It’s starting to get a crop circle look. In about a week, I’ll bring it down to 1.25”, spray it with a pgr, over-seed, and top-dress.

The weather is looking good for seeding. I charged my Chapin 20V battery last night, after spraying Serenade. I noticed this morning that the charger is blinking red. This is the third battery cooked in a year. It seems to always happen before something important :roll: . I got a new one on order. This one has a two year warranty. The last replacement was a two-pack knock off. I ended up ordering a new charger as well.

__JT__

Post by __JT__ » August 14th, 2017, 12:20 pm

Leveling is complete. I guess I underestimated it, because it took a long time, a full day and a half. First day was 33K steps on the fitbit.

Then I got a coating of BayState down, and one of tenacity. I’ve gotten more accurate at spraying, judging the amount of water for 2K. Each time it sputtered out on point, last leg. It’s from the Serenade regimen.

Into dark last night, I got a 500 sf subdivision seeded. Now, I’m seeing the time spent leveling paying off, as the roller is having an easier time rolling flat. I use a whizz hand spreader, and having the compost top-dress, which gives a brown color, allows me to see where I’m “painting in” the seeds. It’s fairly tedious, but accurate.

I left my Soilmoist seed coating open last night in basement (where I've been scaling seed on a drafting table). Bad move. That stuff really works. It absorbs moisture. I have it under a desk lamp now, drying the clumps, and chopping it up with a credit card. It’s working…

probasesteal
Grass Type: FRONT: SPF30, NuGlad and Midnight. BACK: Hogan's TTTF with SPF30 HBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by probasesteal » August 14th, 2017, 1:19 pm

Looks good. Raking thatch and leveling are hard work. I just did a similar job, everything was dead, but the common Bermuda stolons were torture to rake.

Good luck

__JT__

Re: __JT’s__2017 front yard_renovation_day 4

Post by __JT__ » August 18th, 2017, 9:42 am

Thanks probasesteal!

The forecast has some scattered hard rain for the next 12 hours. I’m trying out the hose method. Last year I got hit with a wash out, so I’m on guard...

And aimed the accordion gutter downspouts away.

__JT__

Post by __JT__ » August 19th, 2017, 8:10 am

Last night’s rain was non destructive. All predictions had 1.3-1.9” falling in a short window. I got .02”. It’s just tremendously humid. Then, I had to roll up all my hoses this morning. Thinking back to last year’s roadkill, I had no problem doing it. I’ll was extra careful. Last night, I did the flash light test (day 4), which as very cool, and now next morning I can see widespread germination…

The last pic includes the over-seed area, which has been painted with a pgr. It’s getting seeded today. It was due Thursday night, but I held off because of the rain prediction.

__JT__

Re: __JT’s__2017 front yard_renovation_over-seed seeded

Post by __JT__ » August 21st, 2017, 1:10 pm

I got the 1K “over-seed” seeded this week end. I wanted to work in a percentage of Bewitched into this area, as it gets some shade. As mentioned above, it had already been treated with a pgr and progressively cut down to 1.25”. I raked it with a Groundskeeper 2 rake, and seeded it using a Whizz hand spreader. Then, using the rake upside down, I went side to side as to free any seeds that landed on existing grass. I let that sit overnight and watered it a few times.

The next day, I rolled it, spread Baystate, and gave it a peat moss topdressing. I used one bale (3.8 cf). I used the rake upside down again, as to work the peat in. I went side to side, as to not let the tines scratch what I had just rolled. I didn’t use tenacity on this section, as there is a small percentage of FF (existing and seed) that is a good fit here, however it just didn’t have a good density. I’m hoping a shade tolerant kbg mixed in, could thicken it up. And may be the peat topdressing could improve the soil somewhat. It’s probably a combination of a few things. It’s also a low part within the yard where the water drains. Overall the area was passable, but I wanted to try this out…and with the double coverage lay out of my sprinklers, it made sense to work on an adjoining section to the renovation.

__JT__

Re: __JT’s__2017 front yard_renovation_week 1

Post by __JT__ » August 21st, 2017, 6:00 pm

These are pics of week 1…

I’m keeping it moist. I fine tuned the sprinklers, which I’ve never done before. These are Hunter, the ones in back are RainBird. I got an adjustment key from HD for ~65 cents. Actually, I just tweeked the rotation. I haven't done, or need to do the throw yet. I also hit a couple corners with a watering can a few times daily…

__JT__

Re: __JT’s__2017 front yard_germination

Post by __JT__ » August 22nd, 2017, 1:21 pm

The pots are great to observe germination. This pic below is a northern mix from SSS (the mix on my side bar). Day 7, seeded same day as reno. The seed was aged one year. Assuming the %s are by weight, I seeded @ 2.4# kgb/K and 1.6# ff-prg/K.

The pic below is Bewitched only, recently bought from Preferred Seed. It was mixed in @25% into the shady areas (1K of reno and 1K overseed in back yard), which brings up the ratio of kgb from 60-40 to 70-30 (2.8#/1.2#).

I like the Fiesta 4 perennial rye, it’s rated as pseudo spreader, but it does getting stemmy for part of the year, then the stem turns brown for a time. Also, it’s not rated high for red thread resistance, which is an issue this lawn can get. But I’m still getting to know it. It’s only been a year. For me, it slowed in July as the kgb picked up momentum in August.

__JT__

Re: __JT’s__2017 front yard_renovation_week 2

Post by __JT__ » August 28th, 2017, 8:39 pm

These are pics of week 2:

There are no widespread weeds, just peppered here and there with some spurge. And two places in front, about the size of a couple of door mats, is a couple of heavy swaths of some weird broad leaf plant. Once I begin to walk on it, I'll go in there with some needle nose pliers.

In back, the over-seed is at day 9, and coming along. From my experience (and this depends on density of existing grass) that over-seeds are certainly less dramatic than full renos, but it is coming along. There are new grass blades in there.

Irrigating over-seeds with in-ground causes problems. With it being and irregular shape, the adjoining grass is getting too much water, and I’m now seeing rust for the first time. Last year it was anthracnose. I'm seeing rust in other areas, but not reno. So moving forward...get it germinated, use separate mowers, and I'm bring the HOC from 3.5" to 3", and soon starting aggressive nitrogen app, and continue with serenade every three weeks (next ap is #8).

DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by DevilDawg81 » August 28th, 2017, 9:10 pm

That looks great for 2 weeks! Keep up the great work.

__JT__

Post by __JT__ » August 29th, 2017, 9:50 am

Thanks DevilDawg81!

This pic shows the range in height of a northern mix.

In this pic, the dew accents the “fireworks”. Pin dots continue to appear...

The tray of “bewitched only” pots is working as a control for this cultivar rated as slowest (altho Diva is also rated as slow). I’m trying to make a judgment of first mow, as I’ll have to walk (lightly) on these new seedlings. The drop to this canopy level would be about 1.5”.

I use a twenty year old, low powered push mulching mower, with a new blade that I’ll sharpen. I normally use this mower in lieu of a string trimmer, because it doesn’t suck the mulch up out of my borders.

__JT__

Post by __JT__ » September 3rd, 2017, 10:07 am

As mentioned above, a component of my project is a 1K over-seeded area. A "while your at it" tack on, that's an attempt to thicken up the stand in a shady area.

This area was treated with a pgr, HOC brought down to 1.25", and seeded @ 1.3#/K (70%-30% ratio kgb to ff/pr, with 25% of that Bewitched). At two weeks, things are coming along:

There are some open spots filling in.

Some thin areas, roughed up with a groundskeeper 2 rake, are filling in, this part is the deepest shade:

This part of project is working, however less dramatic then font yard reno. I think it’s the sprinkler set up. This is an irregular shape, so I’m only running one zone. The system is set up for overlap coverage. So a 15’ throw could be thought of a “gradient” of droplets, higher density at the 15’ mark, and diminishing to the 0 mark (actually spatter at 0 mark, that washes seed way). The system is set up for another throw, “gradient” overlapping from the opposite direction. Without all adjoining zones on, there will be uneven coverage. I try to make up for that with some hose watering. Either way, it’s an over-seed, so it’s seeded expecting some casualty.

__JT__

Post by __JT__ » September 4th, 2017, 4:55 pm

Here are some pics of week three:

It’s been mowed twice. The first HOC at 2”, then the second today @ 1.75”. My intent is to gradually level out the mix. I’m still getting green pin dots. The mix is 60-70% kgb. I have the same ratio in 2016 reno, and it seems enough that I'm seeing dead spots fill in thru spreading.

My sprinklers do ~.25” per hour. So the cycle this past week (moderate weather mid 70’s) has been 4 x 15 minutes daily, however the evening cycle @5 pm has been optional. If the soil seems moist when I get home from work, I manually skip it, and hose water a few areas. That’s pending daily weather, for example, the system has been turned off, because yesterday it rained/drizzled all day (.4”), however right now I’m manually cycling it (next day 3 pm). The shady spots are fine, but full sun is drying a bit.

It got organic nitrogen .88N/K @seed down. From my experience, Baystate doesn’t really show effect until 3 weeks and doesn’t really spike when it does. The plan at this point is to give it .5N/K (in the form of Agway’s 10-10-10) at day 32-33 pending. The Agway is a mix of urea, dap, and mop.

__JT__

Post by __JT__ » September 8th, 2017, 9:10 pm

This is day 25. I’ve been monitoring my grass height, in an effort to insure the bewitched I blended into the shade takes. This is the slower tray of bewitched only.

This is the faster tray. Both trays treated as extensions of lawn, meaning they were seeded, baystated, tenacitied, and peat mossed in unison with rest of project, and placed in no particular spot, both sheltered, but this one got a little more sun.

This is from the field, third mow last night at 1.75”. It’s been every three days. I thinking I’m a week away from urea, just waiting for a unified canopy...

__JT__

Post by __JT__ » September 11th, 2017, 5:32 pm

I’m at week 4.

This 2K side section (half of reno) used to be a mess, a patchy bumpy shaded area with no definition on the wooded edge, and a 30’ scraggly spruce with scoliosis. So, it feels good to make this change, and after three consecutive renos, it's good to no longer have a warm/cool season frankenlawn. This section has bewitched mixed in to my premix, 25% by weight (total 70% kgb). With trays in view (near hose reel), it’s looking like kgb has gotten a chance to take.

Early morning pic shows the virgin green glow:

It’s coming along. The fourth mow will be this afternoon @1.75”. The height range is levelling out, not much more "pin dot" germination, but little "minis". It's looking like urea on Friday, 32 days. No problem waiting, although it’s exciting to have it look like a lawn, I’m thinking roots for next year…

Getting a spurge attack in this corner. I try to pull them out time permitting...

probasesteal
Grass Type: FRONT: SPF30, NuGlad and Midnight. BACK: Hogan's TTTF with SPF30 HBG

Post by probasesteal » September 11th, 2017, 9:15 pm

Looking good

seiyafan
Grass Type: Bewitched mono and TTTF/KBG mix

Post by seiyafan » September 11th, 2017, 9:16 pm

Very impressive!

CPascal
Grass Type: Back: 65% KBG (Bedazzled, NuDestiny, Rhapsody),20% PRG, 15% Firefly Hard Fescue. Front: Double Eagle Perennial Rye Shaded areas: Mix of fine fescues and Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by CPascal » September 11th, 2017, 10:09 pm

JT,

When specifically did you start to mow the Reno area? It looks like sometime in week 3 but wasn't sure. I recently seeded with a northern mix and am struggling when to give it its first mow. The PR is getting tall but lots of tiny KBG filling in.