New establishment, first "reno"

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
jm1495
Grass Type: Cool Season Mix
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

New establishment, first "reno"

Post by jm1495 » August 15th, 2017, 9:01 am

I have the opportunity to establish a lawn from bare soil with a new construction build.
Move in is 9/1 located in the triad in North Carolina.
The builder will let me access the site prior to moving in.
The builder will grade and put down straw. I've asked that they not put any seed down.

Soil test to be submitted today and hope to have back within a week. I know that the OM is crap though.

The plan is as follows

1. Seed with Hogan's Blend + 10% Hogan's alley at 6#-7#/k as recommended by Stephen at Hogan.
2. Tenacity applied at label rate at seed down.
3. Starter fertilizer based on soil test.
4. Top dress with Peat/Topsoil/Pine pellets <---- I'm not sure which one of these to use or how much.

STL
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: New establishment, first "reno"

Post by STL » August 15th, 2017, 9:35 am

I'd ask the builder to not put down the straw. Whats the point, plus who knows what kind of weed seeds may come with it?

Peat works well for top dressing and doesn't have the potential weed seed issues. Shoot for an even light layer around 1/8-1/4 inch.

edenl01
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by edenl01 » August 15th, 2017, 10:02 am

I wouldn't have them put straw down. You will have a mess of weeds.
If you are putting peat down as top dressing then the straw is not needed. Especially prior to seeding.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 15th, 2017, 10:29 am

Agree with above - no straw. Not even 'weed-free' straw.

My vote is for peat moss, add pine pellets if you like too. No need for topsoil, it will probably have weed seeds in it too. The peat moss and pine pellets are sterile.

Isn't Hogan's blend tall fescue? Doublecheck the app rates for your dominant turf species!

smast16
Grass Type: Front: TTTF & KBG Back: Salad Bar

Post by smast16 » August 15th, 2017, 3:40 pm

jm1495,
... I am in between Winston-Salem and Greensboro.
Howdy Neighbor :wave: i'm in Kernersville.

Ok, on to your reno.

Honestly, first thing i would do is get you a bottle on glyphosate and start spraying. The weather we've had the last 2-3 weeks (cloudy and and lots of rain) has certainly sprouted weeds. Take care of those first.

Are you having your stuff moved by a moving company, or are you doing it. I'd be worried about a company tromping all over the lawn. Here in the triad we can definitely get away with an early September seed down for TTTF (Hogan's blend). Honestly, Most lawn companies here don't even entertain the idea of seeding prior to Sept. 1st.

I agree with the others on skipping the pine straw.

jm1495

Post by jm1495 » August 15th, 2017, 8:04 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I think after careful consideration with all that is involved in moving and a new house that I will plan on a reno next fall. All of my equipment right now is in storage.

jm1495

Post by jm1495 » August 15th, 2017, 8:12 pm

Hi Neighbor! I'm in Kernersville as well. I would send you a private message but can't apparently.

I am new here as of March. Do you have good recommendations of places to purchase equipment, fertilizer, trees, etc?

Thanks

smast16 wrote:
August 15th, 2017, 3:40 pm
jm1495,
... I am in between Winston-Salem and Greensboro.
Howdy Neighbor :wave: i'm in Kernersville.

Ok, on to your reno.

Honestly, first thing i would do is get you a bottle on glyphosate and start spraying. The weather we've had the last 2-3 weeks (cloudy and and lots of rain) has certainly sprouted weeds. Take care of those first.

Are you having your stuff moved by a moving company, or are you doing it. I'd be worried about a company tromping all over the lawn. Here in the triad we can definitely get away with an early September seed down for TTTF (Hogan's blend). Honestly, Most lawn companies here don't even entertain the idea of seeding prior to Sept. 1st.

I agree with the others on skipping the pine straw.

greenrebellion
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by greenrebellion » August 15th, 2017, 9:06 pm

jm1495 wrote:
August 15th, 2017, 8:04 pm
Thanks for the advice guys. I think after careful consideration with all that is involved in moving and a new house that I will plan on a reno next fall. All of my equipment right now is in storage.
I think this is a good idea. You can spend the next 12 months or so working on improving your soil depending on the results of your soil test.

I rushed my first reno after moving into a new construction home, and now I'm paying the price redoing it just 12 months later.

probasesteal
Grass Type: FRONT: SPF30, NuGlad and Midnight. BACK: Hogan's TTTF with SPF30 HBG

Post by probasesteal » August 15th, 2017, 10:01 pm

If you aren't going to Reno, I still think I'd throw down TTTF with Scott's mesotrione and let it ride. Avoid the builders mess, or give then those two products to apply.
At least you have a decent yard and don't have any added weed pressure.
My .02
And welcome. I'm in Winston

smast16
Grass Type: Front: TTTF & KBG Back: Salad Bar

Post by smast16 » August 15th, 2017, 10:41 pm

I use Green Resources. http://www.green-resource.com. They'll have just about anything you'll need. Ferts, soil ammendments, fungicides, herbicides, and other equipment like sprayers and spreaders. They don't have irrigation supplies tho. They are about 5 minutes away out by the farmers market. Good guys too. Just stop in and tell them what you need and they'll help you out.

I haven't branched out yet into the other plantings yet, so for now I just use lowes on main street past the Wal-Mart. I did buy an autumn blaze maple, and its on its 2nd year now, so that worked.

Kernersville is a nice little town, I like it here but as I'm sure you know, they roll the sidewalks up at 10pm. Lol. Maybe the mods can give us emails and we can chat more sidebar instead of clogging up your reno thread.