tnkrer's small reno and small sod farm and shade area reno

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
tnkrer
Grass Type: bullseye, crochise IV, rhapsody, bewitched in the front. unknown grass in the back, fine fescue mix in shady area
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

tnkrer's small reno and small sod farm and shade area reno

Post by tnkrer » August 17th, 2017, 10:52 pm

renoing a small area with cochise IV and bewitched And also making a small sod plot

seeded

Topdressed

Shade area reno with fine fescues still being worked on .

tnkrer
Grass Type: bullseye, crochise IV, rhapsody, bewitched in the front. unknown grass in the back, fine fescue mix in shady area

Re: tnkrer's small reno and small sod farm and shade area reno

Post by tnkrer » August 18th, 2017, 11:58 am

Apparently Broken image does not work.

Sod plot

seeded

top-dressed with peat/compost mix

tnkrer

Post by tnkrer » August 30th, 2017, 11:06 am

apparently img_ur gets replaced by broken image!

Shade reno was on a bed of ivy. So took a while to prep that area. Still has a lot of ivy roots. So hope was that grass will ignore those roots
Soil prepped and seeded - on Aug 19

top-dressed with moss/compost

tnkrer

Post by tnkrer » August 30th, 2017, 11:15 am

.. 12-15 day update
I had not fallowed (not enough time) so there are bunch of small weeds in the reno .. Will have to get those next year I think
Also did not use tenacity because shade reno is fine fescue where tenacity is not recommended, so for the small reno did not feel like breaking out sprayer ..
I am happy with the outcome so far ..

small reno - which has cochise IV and bewitched has the tallest growth. (A chipmunk is making a hole in this area . I closed that hole three times and the chipmunk opened it three times .. I think I need to use steel wool there, but how will that affect grass and the chipmunk might create a new hole, so going to ignore that for this season and will fill that up next season

sod plot which is all bewitched has smaller growth

shade reno is blend of fine fescues and bewitched and is at 11-12 days .. somewhat patchy .. Hopefully it will fill up more in next few days. I was not sure due to the extensive underground ivy roots .. but so far looks like grass is doing well there.

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Marinegrunt » August 30th, 2017, 11:52 am

Looking good. Those small metal cage traps work great for chipmunks. We had a bunch when we moved here digging tunnels on the hillside. I think I caught 30-40 or something like that. A trail of sunflower seeds and about 5 on the trigger plate work great for bait.

tnkrer

Post by tnkrer » September 10th, 2017, 10:41 am

Thanks Marinegrunt. My property abuts town forest. So there is no way I can control chipmunks/squirrels or any other wild life. I have accepted that there will be occasional damage by the pests. (It is much less than what the septic pump out folks do to my lawn!)

Three week update .. cochise IV does not seem to do sprout and pout. It has been growing and now it feels like its as tall and thick as the established lawn. Bewitched may have slowed down, but still I did not see marked slowness in growth. Fine fescue on the other hand has simply stopped growing (or has just flopped to ground since it does not really have any stiffness, so does not feel like it is growing) Overall, still happy with the progress. TTTF+kbg has gotten one mowing so far. The rest are not mowed

TTTF+kgb

sod plot

shade reno