When to stop cutting low?

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

When to stop cutting low?

Post by northeastlawn » October 12th, 2017, 2:54 pm

I'l post some pictures later, but the grass has really thickened up when the weather cooled down and we got a bunch of rain. The two apps of Urea probably didn't hurt either.

I am cutting at 2 1/4" every few days, should I keep it low like this to encourage tillering or at some point let it get longer so it won't look so bare in the spring while I am waiting for it to wake up?

I have one urea app left and realize I am approaching the point where the top growth is going to stop. Now might be a good time to lock it into the height I want it over the winter.

I'm starting leaf mulching now too and never know what the correct height is to do that.

Sicride
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: When to stop cutting low?

Post by Sicride » October 13th, 2017, 8:28 am

Once all the seed has germinated let it grow tall as soon you can without it lying down. There are multiple studies out there that show tillering and spreading are related to frequency of cut, less correlation with height of cut. I've even read at least one study that found spreading is more related to higher cut height with same frequency of cut.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 13th, 2017, 10:25 am

I like to keep it cut low headed into winter. A lower height of cut will require increased mowing frequency to avoid removing > 1/3" of the blade, will allow the sun to reach the soil longer into the winter and keep it warm so your turf will grow longer, will help keep it drier over the winter to avoid snow mold, and will help the sun reach the soil to warm it up and get it going sooner this coming spring given less canopy. Plus, if you head into winter with a bunch of new growth that new growth is the less likely to be freeze-hardy, which means it is more likely to turn brown.

And then there's the aesthetics - I personally love close-mown turf - but that's a highly personal preference :) :)

For leaf mulching, just keep it at whatever height you normally cut. Go over it a few times if you need to.

At the end of the day, it's not a huge decision with dramatic consequences.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by northeastlawn » October 13th, 2017, 3:13 pm

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
October 13th, 2017, 10:25 am
Plus, if you head into winter with a bunch of new growth that new growth is the less likely to be freeze-hardy, which means it is more likely to turn brown.
Thats a bad thing right?

I think I'll just keep its at 2 1/14" for the winter, and slowly raise it next spring.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 14th, 2017, 8:34 am

northeastlawn wrote:
October 13th, 2017, 3:13 pm
HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
October 13th, 2017, 10:25 am
Plus, if you head into winter with a bunch of new growth that new growth is the less likely to be freeze-hardy, which means it is more likely to turn brown.
Thats a bad thing right?

I think I'll just keep its at 2 1/14" for the winter, and slowly raise it next spring.
Dang I hate my new phones autocorrect hahaha

Not if you like your turf brown :)

Generally mowing heights are gradually let out towards summer then back down towards winter, but it's not like you can't keep the turf looking great at the same height year round, it just may require more work in other areas.