Does the fast germination of perennial ryegrass allow any shortcuts during a reno?

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
ryeguy
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Does the fast germination of perennial ryegrass allow any shortcuts during a reno?

Post by ryeguy » October 23rd, 2017, 12:50 am

Most of the reno "playbook" is based on full KBG renos. Does any of that change when doing a PRG reno, given that it can germinate within a week and mature quickly in general?

For example, what if you roundup day 1, then on day 2 scalp and put seed down, skipping fallowing? The weeds get a significantly smaller headstart with PRG compared to KBG, but I'm not sure how much of an impact that will have. I was considering experimenting with this on a tiny section of the yard next year just to see what would happen.

edenl01
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Does the fast germination of perennial ryegrass allow any shortcuts during a reno?

Post by edenl01 » October 23rd, 2017, 4:04 pm

The fast germination and establishment time of PRG is completely separate from doing fallowing. Skipping fallowing would be a mistake and I wouldn't bother doing the Reno. You don't have to go nuts with it. A month or so is pretty common around here.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Does the fast germination of perennial ryegrass allow any shortcuts during a reno?

Post by andy10917 » October 23rd, 2017, 4:23 pm

The weeds get a significantly smaller headstart with PRG compared to KBG, but I'm not sure how much of an impact that will have.
Not much (and I've grown plenty of PRG).