Fall Weed Control Application - Detroit, Michigan

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
dzryzh
Grass Type: Mix - moving towards KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Fall Weed Control Application - Detroit, Michigan

Post by dzryzh » October 28th, 2017, 4:24 pm

Hello, I am posing a question regarding Fall application of weed control, or more specifically a selective triple herbicide to address primarily broadleaf weeds. I have read the "Triangle Approach" and some additional posts on the topic, and it seems to me that a Fall application makes sense. That said I am a novice and want to first get confirmation (or not) if it is correct to do so in my case, and looking for guidance on how to properly do so. There is my property history and some soil test results with evaluation by Andy at viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23488.

In short I have a 1.5 acre new construction lot, mostly clay soil,low to no organic matter, that was hydroseeded in July without much success (or moderate success for the soil type). Roughly 30 days ago I fertilized (starter), topdressed with topsoil, and overseeded a 60'x60' section with a good KBG. Right now the shoots are 1" or maybe a little taller. I have plenty of broadleaf weeds in the back and some in the front.

So do I make an application of a selective triple herbicide (i.e. Gordon's Trimec - Lawn Weed Killer) still this year, and if so do I apply it over the overseeded area as well as the rest of the lawn?

I intend to make a Urea application in November once the grass has stopped growing. Thanks for input/help

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Fall Weed Control Application - Detroit, Michigan

Post by andy10917 » October 28th, 2017, 8:09 pm

The metabolism of the grass should be slowing down soon, if not already doing so. As the metabolism slows, the effectiveness of herbicides falls off.

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Marinegrunt » October 28th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Weeds normally die off during winter. You'll want to prevent them from coming back in the spring by applying a pre m. If you have any spot seeding to do be sure to keep it in mind when selecting the type or strength of the pre m.

For future reference 30 days ago was a little late for seeding especially considering kbg was used and you live in Detroit. You want to shoot for mid August so it has plenty of time to mature in order to survive winter.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » October 28th, 2017, 10:44 pm

Weeds normally die off during winter.
Totally disagree!! Many of your "favorite weeds" germinate in Fall, and hide out as very small until Spring, when they explode into large seeding plants quickly.

dzryzh
Grass Type: Mix - moving towards KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by dzryzh » October 29th, 2017, 12:07 am

OK. Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like fall would be the right time for an herbicide application...but it should've been early fall to make the most of it....and I'm late. We had a warm October, but just in the last few days the temps have dropped. I assume the grass is essentially done growing...which would mean the weeds are done too. Live and learn. Also....I'll get he next round of seed down a little earlier as well (August instead of September). Thanks guys.

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Marinegrunt » October 29th, 2017, 10:43 am

andy10917 wrote:
October 28th, 2017, 10:44 pm
Weeds normally die off during winter.
Totally disagree!! Many of your "favorite weeds" germinate in Fall, and hide out as very small until Spring, when they explode into large seeding plants quickly.
Thanks for the correction and knowledge. I've always been under the assumption that they die off over winter. Maybe I'm thinking more of crabgrass. Either way, I'm glad you corrected me. Nothing worse than someone posting the wrong info when thinking they are helping.

Be sure to read up on using a pre emergent in the spring though. It will help prevent new weeds from coming up.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 30th, 2017, 12:41 pm

In short I have a 1.5 acre new construction lot, mostly clay soil,low to no organic matter,
I saw your soil report too. We have similar soils and situations, but you are definitely more calcerous than I. I likewise have a dozen walnut trees along a creek.

It is really hard to get grass growing on 1.5 acres ESPECIALLY without irrigation, so I think you're smart to convert to KBG bit by bit :)

It's pretty darned cold in Detroit over the winter, and I imagine by now things are growing really slowly - so I'm not sure a post-emergent herbicide like you mentioned will be very effective now. It will be a lot more effective at greenup in the spring.

Crabgrass will die off this winter, yep. Things like chickweed / oxalis will take off now, survive, and do really well in the spring.

As for jugalone - it definitely affects certain plants more than others. The roses I put under there to see how they did haven't done well. My KBG underneath the walnut trees is much thinner than elsewhere, but I think it's more due to shade and competing roots than the jugalone. I say this because I do have some thick areas underneath some walnut trees that get more sunlight than the thinnest area.