KBGkicksazz lawn project

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Re: KBGkicksazz lawn project

Post by KBGkicksazz » June 17th, 2018, 12:42 pm

Anyone else have a guy name Murphy come around during your Reno/new lawn seeding?

95F coming on Monday. Murphy is a jerk.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by turf_toes » June 17th, 2018, 1:19 pm

There’s always a guy like that. During my first renovation, many many years ago, I lived in an HOA community. Fortunately the rules were pretty minimal. (You couldn’t move or remove a tree without approval from the landscape/architectural review committee).

But I had a neighbor complain that the dead grass looked terrible and someone ought to report it to the HOA.

I gave him credit, though questionable judgement, for saying it to my face instead of doing it behind my back.

But I reminded him of the actual rules and suggested that unless he was prepared to claim my lawn was actually millions of tiny little trees, there was actually nothing in the rules preventing me from killing the lawn and installing a rock garden.

He took his beagle (only time I ever saw him was when he walked the dog) and went home.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » June 17th, 2018, 1:26 pm

KBG, I assume you're speaking of Murphy's Law playing out. I think 95 degree temperatures are predictable for June 15th-August 15th, and a Reno done at that time needs to plan for it.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by turf_toes » June 17th, 2018, 2:04 pm

Ah. Murphy’s law. I get it now. Lol

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » June 17th, 2018, 2:39 pm

KBGkicksazz wrote:
June 17th, 2018, 12:42 pm
Anyone else have a guy name Murphy come around during your Reno/new lawn seeding?

95F coming on Monday. Murphy is a jerk.
Yeah, he comes to visit me during every renovation, usually about 5-10 days after seed down in the form of a thundershower delivering 1” of water in about 15 minutes.

However, +1 on the comment that it would be a very rare 3-week span in June/July, even in Seacoast NH, to not get a few 90+ days in there somewhen. It won’t be the rule as it would be in the Carolinas, but there will be a few crazy hot days every summer.

Hang in there though, with vigilance and focusing on what is already germinated you have a shot at getting through this. Be careful not to wage war on too many fronts though!

llO0DQLE
Grass Type: KBG and Creeping Red Fescue
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by llO0DQLE » June 17th, 2018, 5:24 pm

I hit those temps in my 2015 reno. That year was really hot and I had the longest growing season that year. Reno came out fine. Just keep up with the watering as needed.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » June 17th, 2018, 6:58 pm

Luckily it’s only one days and our night temps give the lawn a reprieve.

I have to water 2X for my front lawn than my side yard to keep it from being totally dried out.

Temps after that are around 80F so I’m in decent shape and I’m noticing the grass starting to grow more over this weekend.

andy10917 wrote:
June 17th, 2018, 1:26 pm
KBG, I assume you're speaking of Murphy's Law playing out. I think 95 degree temperatures are predictable for June 15th-August 15th, and a Reno done at that time needs to plan for it.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » June 17th, 2018, 7:00 pm

I am a slave to the irrigation system what I need now is a rain spell for a week or so and I think the lawn may take off.
llO0DQLE wrote:
June 17th, 2018, 5:24 pm
I hit those temps in my 2015 reno. That year was really hot and I had the longest growing season that year. Reno came out fine. Just keep up with the watering as needed.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » June 17th, 2018, 7:13 pm

I live in an HOA and we have one of those rules are rules type. He’s going to have a cow when he realises the majority of the neighborhood during BBQs have already been discussing elimination of the HOA which is likely going to happen lol
turf_toes wrote:
June 17th, 2018, 1:19 pm
There’s always a guy like that. During my first renovation, many many years ago, I lived in an HOA community. Fortunately the rules were pretty minimal. (You couldn’t move or remove a tree without approval from the landscape/architectural review committee).

But I had a neighbor complain that the dead grass looked terrible and someone ought to report it to the HOA.

I gave him credit, though questionable judgement, for saying it to my face instead of doing it behind my back.

But I reminded him of the actual rules and suggested that unless he was prepared to claim my lawn was actually millions of tiny little trees, there was actually nothing in the rules preventing me from killing the lawn and installing a rock garden.

He took his beagle (only time I ever saw him was when he walked the dog) and went home.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » June 18th, 2018, 7:28 pm

3.5 weeks since seeding. Lawn is dragging its feet coming in and have to start thinking about weeds coming in.

Lawn is nowhere near full or high enough to even think of mowing.

Hopefully I don’t end up with PoA

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » June 22nd, 2018, 11:13 am

Latest photo as of yesterday. I added some loam to the areas needing leveling after washouts.

It’s still creeping along but has Long way to go to fill in.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » June 24th, 2018, 9:07 am

KBGkicksazz wrote:
June 22nd, 2018, 11:13 am
Latest photo as of yesterday. I added some loam to the areas needing leveling after washouts.
Showing encouraging progress! Keep up the good work!

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » June 24th, 2018, 4:20 pm

Yes sir, at this point what is going to germinate is already seedling. I’ve backed off to once a day watering and seems to be getting the right move. I had a couple smal areas at mowing height today so I mowed them with my push mower.

The cloudy and slightly cooler temps has helped as well.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » June 29th, 2018, 8:21 pm

Current picture of my late spring new construction seeding. It’s still coming in slowly but today was the first mowing and can start to see the dark green of the KBG. I have a few crabcrass plants here and there. We are going into a heat wave with temps in the 90s for the next 7 days. Have to wait for a spell of cooler whether to start beating back the weeds.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » July 7th, 2018, 8:34 pm

Current project status and pictures:
1: just came out of an 8 day heat wave which is not common for Southern New Hampshire.

2. I have completed my side yard shrub bed and waiting for irrigation guy to come back and install it for that side. I had 12 yards of loam brought in to level and cover the construction yard crud that was on that part of my property.

3. My front yard is sparsely germinated and dotted with mature crabgrass that I justhit with quinclorac.
Has not been a good seeding as some areas don’t seem to want to grow grass despite irrigation.

4. I’ll be over seeding the front lawn and initial seeding the side yard in mid August.

ken-n-nancy

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 8th, 2018, 6:57 am

I was wondering how your new grass was doing in the recent heat wave.

At least prime seeding time for NH is only about 6 weeks away!

By the way, if you don't already have your seed for the areas that will be re-seeded, I have a lot more Prosperity than I'm going to end up needing this fall (probably about 25 pounds more than I need) as I bought a 50# bag to receive a better price, figuring I'd possibly use it to help with re-seeding projects at my son's homes in the next couple years. I'd be glad to part with some at cost ($5.41 per pound, as the 50# bag cost $270.58 shipped.)

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » July 8th, 2018, 9:24 am

Thanks for the offer but I have 60 pounds I just got from valley green in Wilmington MA.

I’m now using midnight, prosperity, and blueberry mix.

My plan for the front yard once the weather cools off is to use the miracle grow Liquafeed once a week in conjunction with overseeding to get what has germinated to spread.
ken-n-nancy wrote:
July 8th, 2018, 6:57 am
I was wondering how your new grass was doing in the recent heat wave.

At least prime seeding time for NH is only about 6 weeks away!

By the way, if you don't already have your seed for the areas that will be re-seeded, I have a lot more Prosperity than I'm going to end up needing this fall (probably about 25 pounds more than I need) as I bought a 50# bag to receive a better price, figuring I'd possibly use it to help with re-seeding projects at my son's homes in the next couple years. I'd be glad to part with some at cost ($5.41 per pound, as the 50# bag cost $270.58 shipped.)

ken-n-nancy

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 8th, 2018, 1:17 pm

KBGkicksazz wrote:
July 8th, 2018, 9:24 am
I’m now using midnight, prosperity, and blueberry mix.
Did they mix it for you, or is that a blend they stock? I'm curious if they mixed it specifically for you as, if so, they could presumably sell single cultivars, too...

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » July 8th, 2018, 2:07 pm

Yes they mix it by weight right on the spot or you can buy single cultivar. I work about 5 miles from their Wilmington location and the seed was much cheaper than online. I think I paid 3.60 a pound.

They are just like JD landscape and sell all the usual herbicides. They also carry a calcitic lime that has iron in it that I’ll try in the fall once the lawn is growing and ready for my next application.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » July 20th, 2018, 8:51 pm

Here’s current lawn picture. Fair amount of weeds and I used a weed hound to pull a lot of them as can’t use herbicide due to upcoming oversees. It’s slowly spreading but I suspect t it will take the rest of this season and probably all next year to be full and lush.

The fresh loam was to level out a depression.