Greenrebellion's 2018 Backyard Reno

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
greenrebellion
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Greenrebellion's 2018 Backyard Reno

Post by greenrebellion » May 17th, 2018, 2:06 pm

Today it begins. Third year in a row of renovations. All this pain is due to the fact that I brought in weed filled compost and failed to fallow in my first year. Lesson learned.

History:
2016 - Hydroseeded pure KBG but no fallow period and bad compost led to massive grassy weed problems and the KBG never really established.
2017 - Redid front yard with 100% Bewitched but with a 4 week fallow period this time(4K SF), had an unbelievable amount of P. annua germinate, tenacity turned most of it into brown carcasses after several weeks of apps in Sept/Oct and the good grass took over from there. Still have annua but I will work it down over time and have a moderate Triv problem but I can deal with that over the next few years as well.

This year's renovation: Backyard 8K SF
The Triv problem in the back is truly astonishing. As much as 50% of the grass in the back is Triv and when summer hits it all goes dormant leaving massive brown spots throughout the yard even if I water. Also have 100's of very large course fescue plants that grow 2x fast as the rest of the grass.

Based on my research, now is the time to kill if Triv is a problem. So here's my fallowing plan:

Today - Glyphosate 3.5 oz/K
5/24 - Scalp
5/31 - Glyphosate 2.5 oz/K
7/15 - Glyphosate 1.5 oz/K, will start 3x per day watering from here
8/12 - 1.5 oz/K Before seed down

Still deciding on seed but will probably do the following:
40% Award KBG
30% Prosperity KBG
30% Bewitched KBG

ztdamico
Grass Type: Needed
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Greenrebellion's 2018 Backyard Reno

Post by ztdamico » May 17th, 2018, 9:17 pm

Just curious... why you choose a blend over doing the 100% bewitched again. Thanks

greenrebellion

Post by greenrebellion » May 17th, 2018, 9:59 pm

When I hydroseeded in 2016, I used the blend front and back. When I realized I was going to be redoing my entire yard, I thought I'd try my hand at a one cultivar lawn and chose Bewitched which has a higher shade tolerance for my somewhat shady front lawn and pretty good disease tolerance.

But more genetic diversity tends to be a less risky approach in terms of establishing a healthy lawn and avoiding disease so that's why I'm tempted to stick with the blend for the larger backyard.

I will say that I have toyed with the idea of going with 100% Award in the full sun backyard because it was the best performing KBG cultivar in Michigan according to an MSU study done a few years back.

greenrebellion

Post by greenrebellion » May 31st, 2018, 9:22 pm

Here's a shot of the backyard after I scalped a couple of days ago.

I *THINK* I got a really good kill on the Triv. I fertilized a few days before and got a TON of rain before my glyphosate app so I'm hoping the Triv was in a very active growth mode. I also used an elevated glyphosate level following an article I read on killing Triv. Walking through the yard, there isn't a spec of living Triv that I can find out there.

llO0DQLE
Grass Type: KBG and Creeping Red Fescue
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by llO0DQLE » June 1st, 2018, 12:38 am

Good luck!

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG

Post by northeastlawn » June 1st, 2018, 3:39 pm

Thats just a wide open killing field for any weed that dares to pop out between now and August. Good luck Ill be following the thread.

Do you have a sprinkler system for that?

greenrebellion

Post by greenrebellion » June 1st, 2018, 5:06 pm

Oh yes, had irrigation put in before the hydroseeding disaster of 2016.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » June 1st, 2018, 11:26 pm

What was your mixing proportion of 41% gly? And what was the traditional ratio? Curious, as I have a few spots I need to kill. Thanks.

greenrebellion

Post by greenrebellion » June 2nd, 2018, 8:53 am

Per this article HERE. You want to target 3lbs a.i. per acre. That said, its the acid equivalent, not the 41% that matters so if you have a brand with a different acid equivalent then you may want to read this thread. LINK. My brand was Ranger Pro Herbicide.

As far as my tank mix per gallon of water:
1 gallon of water (distilled)
0.67 ounces of Spreader Sticker (Per Ranger Pro Label)
4.8 ounces of Ranger Pro Glyphosate

So this was a 3.75% concentration, usually you can get a good kill with 1.5%-2% or so in my experience. Of course it will depend on your nozzle, walking speed etc.

greenrebellion

Post by greenrebellion » June 12th, 2018, 12:27 pm

Continuing with monthly fertilizer apps and BLSC/KH in the dead backyard. Fallowing starts July 1.

There is a 6 week gap between my planned roundup apps and I don't want to let anything get to out of control so I'm using some 3 way herbicide and a nutsedge killer in spot treatments to manage the most rapidly growing weeds until the next blanket roundup app. This will keep me from exceeding annual glyphosate limits which I will be bumping up against.

Ordered my seed, went with 25 pounds of Bewitched KBG, which is a change from my original plan of doing a 3 cultivar mix. I received some good feedback from the forum regarding the advantages to having the same cultivar front and back so 100% bewitched it is. Also ordered some Soil Moist Seed Coat. No idea whether that stuff is a waste of money or not, but it is relatively cheap and can't do any harm. Used it last year and had good germination so I'd rather not change a successful formula.

Seeing as this is my third year in a row of renovations, I have to stay I'm starting to get halfway decent at this renovation business!! But believe me, I GREATLY look forward to a renovation free 2019 assuming my backyard is a success this year.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » June 16th, 2018, 12:01 am

greenrebellion wrote:
June 12th, 2018, 12:27 pm
Ordered my seed, went with 25 pounds of Bewitched KBG, which is a change from my original plan of doing a 3 cultivar mix.
Can I ask from where you sourced your 25 pounds of Bewitched? I've been having trouble locating a cost-effective supplier with Bewitched in stock.

I think your plan sounds like a pretty good one. I will note that poa trivialis is really hard to kill off. I thought I'd killed it all in our 2015 side lawn renovation. It didn't rear it's head in 2016, but by midsummer 2017, it had returned in basically the exact same area it had been two years prior. I don't know how the poa trivialis came back. I nuked those patches last fall, will hit them again shortly, and then attempt an early-as-possible-in-the-fall renovation of that area.

greenrebellion

Post by greenrebellion » June 16th, 2018, 8:11 am

Yes, Triv is one tough weed my friend.

I bought my Bewitched from Seed Superstore this year. Preferred seed also currently has it in stock and that is where I bought my seed from in 2017 but this year, SSS was a tad cheaper and had free shipping.

In general, it appears that Bewitched prices have moved up 10-15% relative to last year.

greenrebellion

Post by greenrebellion » July 5th, 2018, 7:57 am

I started fallowing over this past weekend. Before I started I raised a few sprinkler heads that were low and leveled a few areas.

I'll fallow for the next 5 weeks or so until seed down with maybe a week or two off as I'll need the soil to dry out at some point so that I can transport some mulch across the backyard to my orchard.

Two apps of roundup left to go. App 3 of 4 will go down within the next few days and then I'll do a final app a few days before seed down.

Also, I'm set on supplies as well. Bewitched seed, soil moist seed coat, 48 cubic feet of compressed peat moss (maybe overkill but I can use it elsewhere), and of course I have the lawn roller and peat moss spreader from last year's reno.

I am ready to go, now just waiting for August 13th which is my target seed down date, have family in from out of town and I'm going to force them to help me! :rotfl:

greenrebellion

Post by greenrebellion » July 16th, 2018, 9:05 pm

Oops...went a bit too long between glyphosate apps, purslane took over the backyard and went to seed and now glyphosate won't kill it...might have to spend a few hours hand pulling.

greenrebellion

Post by greenrebellion » July 21st, 2018, 1:40 pm

I have a small depression in my backyard that is always overly wet. Per my calcs, it would take about 12 cubic feet of soil to fix it. All I can find at the stores is this "topsoil" that seems like it is mostly organic matter and would create layers in my soil going from hard clay to this organic matter topsoil. Is that okay or where should I look for a leveling type soil?

llO0DQLE
Grass Type: KBG and Creeping Red Fescue

Post by llO0DQLE » July 21st, 2018, 3:25 pm

I would get pure topsoil. Those mixes with compost or humus etc will probably decompose over time and turn into a bit of a depression again.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 21st, 2018, 9:08 pm

greenrebellion wrote:
July 21st, 2018, 1:40 pm
I have a small depression in my backyard that is always overly wet. Per my calcs, it would take about 12 cubic feet of soil to fix it. All I can find at the stores is this "topsoil" that seems like it is mostly organic matter and would create layers in my soil going from hard clay to this organic matter topsoil. Is that okay or where should I look for a leveling type soil?
For filling holes, you want a topsoil that has a typical amount of organic matter in it, rather than being mostly organic, which will eventually decompose.

I'd suggest doing a google search for "landscape supply" in your town to find a company that sells topsoil in bulk. They'll normally need an order of 2-3+ yards to deliver. I'd ask a buddy with a pickup truck to take me over to get a half-yard or yard of topsoil. It will probably only cost about $20 from the landscape supply company, plus a pack of the buddy's favorite beverage.

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG

Post by KBGkicksazz » July 21st, 2018, 9:48 pm

Using a weed puller is a good idea but also remember that Tenscity controls purslane.
greenrebellion wrote:
July 16th, 2018, 9:05 pm
Oops...went a bit too long between glyphosate apps, purslane took over the backyard and went to seed and now glyphosate won't kill it...might have to spend a few hours hand pulling.

greenrebellion

Post by greenrebellion » August 7th, 2018, 10:24 am

Hmm...I might have to rake. I scalped to 3/4" in May but that remaining 3/4" has sort of matted over in many areas and created this thin layer of grass that is breaking down. May need to give a light rake throughout.

I'll do my final roundup app later this week, then seed down is on Monday.

greenrebellion

Post by greenrebellion » August 10th, 2018, 10:09 am

Final glyphosate app was done this morning.

Going to rake this evening and tomorrow morning. Just really lightly to fluff up some of the dead material.

Seed down still targeted for Monday though I am concerned about forecasts for next Wednesday calling for potential for heavy rain. Not sure I can delay though as this is the only time I can arrange for helpers and my work schedule means it is basically early next week or never. Hopefully a thorough lawn roller job will suffice.