Syntaxx 2018 Renovation........

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Re: Syntaxx 2018 Renovation........

Post by northeastlawn » September 8th, 2018, 1:18 pm

Sorry, for the set back. We are expecting our first 1" of rain in almost 2-3 months. I wish I could have taken some of your rain off your hands. Hopefully you give it a shot again and it works out better next time, I know this year it was hot around here, but little chance of a wash out. The next time around might work out better for you.

Could you explain your irrigation setup?

I need gear head sprinkler setup for about a small 2,000sf lawn that works off hoses and battery timer. I am intrigued on the parts you used and where you got them.

SyNtAxx
Grass Type: KBG: Blueberry/Prosperity/Bewitched
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by SyNtAxx » September 8th, 2018, 7:48 pm

northeastlawn wrote:
September 8th, 2018, 1:18 pm
Sorry, for the set back. We are expecting our first 1" of rain in almost 2-3 months. I wish I could have taken some of your rain off your hands. Hopefully you give it a shot again and it works out better next time, I know this year it was hot around here, but little chance of a wash out. The next time around might work out better for you.

Could you explain your irrigation setup?

I need gear head sprinkler setup for about a small 2,000sf lawn that works off hoses and battery timer. I am intrigued on the parts you used and where you got them.

Have you taken a look at my previous years of renovations....I have at least 3 yeara worth along with pictures of my irrigations setups. The first 2 years i used 1inch pvc pipe fed by 5/8" garden hose. I probably have 2000ft of garden hose coiled up somewhere. In those years i used store bought rotor heads which were a mix of rainbird and orbit products. I preferred the rainbird water pattern and settled on those. The only issue with those heads for the large areas i was covering was they had a 1/2" inlet and a 3gpm nozzle.

Last year i decided to go 1" direct tonthe hose bib. I purchased 1" polly pipe that is actually used for
Irrigation installed and laid on surface and used prograde rainbird 5000 series rotor heads with 2gpm nozzles and 3/4" inlets. Since i used 1" from bib i had way better flow rates since inwas dealing with watering about 17k ft last year. I also used less water with the small nozzles and the rotors themselves leaked less water. I used 4 port melnor timers hung off multiple 4 port brass bibs. I had 8 zones last year. I had about 76psi at my hose big and 7gpm flow.

You could very easily build an above ground temporary irrigation system with larger garden hose feeding some 1" pvc.....depending on shape of area being seeded. You could also use all garden hose and use rotors and space them appropriately. I as using about 20ft spacing with my flow and pressure and center to center coverages. Once its in place..set and forget...no moving hoses etc until winter or off season comes.Using real rotors delivers nice water coverage and theynarent all that expensive.

The last few years I buy all my supplies from Site One landscape supply houses. The rotors are like 6 bucks and a 300ft rollnof 1in poly was like 70ish. I also have a ton of the old half inch rotors left over i would let go cheap.

Nick

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » September 12th, 2018, 2:16 pm

i dont recall the last sunny day in S.E. PA....

More downpours today...more rain for the next week.

nick

kbgfarmer
Grass Type: Bewitched Kentucky bluegrass
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by kbgfarmer » September 12th, 2018, 8:39 pm

SyNtAxx wrote:
September 12th, 2018, 2:16 pm
i dont recall the last sunny day in S.E. PA....

More downpours today...more rain for the next week.

nick
My gut is sinking just looking at that. Sorry man. Been there far too often this fall.

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » September 15th, 2018, 6:15 pm

Some progress pics....I have some work to do but I think I can pull through.

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » September 15th, 2018, 6:18 pm

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » September 22nd, 2018, 4:53 pm

Some updated photos. Hill came in pretty nice...I need to fix the washed out areas....I may rent a slit seeder as any rain will just wash away surface seeding attempts. I have been salivating at mowing a lush rear yard for 4 years.....it may end up being 5 years. It's just about time to mow with real mower already. Time for 2nd tenacity app?

Nick

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » September 29th, 2018, 12:09 pm

First cut is in the books....planning on overseeing and tenacity application today.

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » September 29th, 2018, 12:18 pm

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » September 29th, 2018, 12:20 pm

Areas needing fixing ....a lot of washout from water dropping off the tree. Going to seed and cover with seed cloth and see what happens .. that area is getting low on sun this time of year. No doubt those areas will need to be nursed next year.

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » September 29th, 2018, 12:23 pm

Last supply run of the season.....Site One.

Riding low..

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » September 29th, 2018, 6:09 pm

Last pics of the day...didnt get as much done as I had hoped.

Nick

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Marinegrunt » September 30th, 2018, 4:07 pm

It looks great Nick! It recovered a lot better than I thought it would after seeing the washout pictures. As always great work!

I'll tell you what. Anyone that hasn't used a BX on their property doesn't know what they're missing. Heck, just using it to haul 50 lb sacks of fertilizer from the vehicle to garage makes it worth it having. Those smaller tractors have so many attachments it doesnt matter how small of yard you have you can almost use it every day for something.

I baked my irrigation system off of yours for my reno last fall. I also ran a 1" supply and probably gained 3-4 gpm. I then just used garden hose and Hunter pgp heads. I think I had 7 zones for my 10k. I can't imagine doing a reno any other way. After buying some new hose and the pgp heads I think I had less than $150-$200 or so. Well worth not having to drag hoses and sprinklers around.

I had quite a few bare spots in my reno due to a fungus last fall. I did some dormant spot seeding and threw some down in the spring before my Prodiamine. A decent amount took off and lawn looks decent this fall. I used mainly tttf tho.

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » September 30th, 2018, 8:54 pm

@Marinegrunt...thanks in pretty confident most of the open areas will germinate and establish before end of October. I agree on the irrigation setup....anything over 1000sqft and it's time to build an irrigation system to keep all your hard work watered. I use several melnor timers for my setups. Set and forget and your not tied to home or worrying if your seeds got watered.

So I spent about 8 hour today working in reno area. The areas under the trees are worrisome which is why I covered with seed fabric. Since it's basically bare under them...I won't have fungus issues to worry about for now. I've used the fabric with good success in patches. I may try and cover last few thousand foot reno for next year. I bought a giant roll 12ft x 1000ft a few years back Amazon prime delivered to my door for 120$ once I have decent germination I remove the fabric completely. Under the trees it will hold the heat it does get late in the year there and keeps the leaves easily removable when they fall. I didnt not her with the slit seeder as they wanted 140 for a day rental. Instead I got out my trusty garden weasel and proceeded to push in one direction to only puncture the soil and not cultivate it. I then went on a 45* angle and repeated the process....seeded...raked and rolled and covered with recovered peat moss from peat piles the rains made. Then ran the sprinklers. I did not get to apply tenacity yet to anywhere other then under the seed blankets which were essentially bare. One larger area yet to repair or add supplemental seeding depending on outcome of inspection....and a few smaller areas to seed.

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » September 30th, 2018, 8:57 pm

Sorry...couldn't help myself on last night pic....that's what I imagined rear yard will be as I took breaks between seeding...rolling..etc. fresh cut yesterday.

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » October 7th, 2018, 8:38 pm

Reno area has been mowed 2x now. I've started to feed it. Last week .5# N. Today...I cut and dropped 1# N per 1k. Ran the sprinklers to soak in. I have germination in the spot seeded areas...so. it bad 7 days. I will take a look under the seed blankets tomorrow when I get a minute.

Nick

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » October 7th, 2018, 8:42 pm

I do have a few areas yet to spot repair...but all in all I'm pretty pleased. The one largest area is back towards the rear fence line and doesn't get much sun or now till next year. I'll be happy if I can get get germination before frost....I will have to fix that next year.

Nick

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Marinegrunt » October 8th, 2018, 1:09 pm

SyNtAxx wrote:
September 30th, 2018, 8:57 pm

Sorry...couldn't help myself on last night pic....that's what I imagined rear yard will be as I took breaks between seeding...rolling..etc. fresh cut yesterday.
That looks awesome! That definitely motivates me even more to build or buy a striping kit.

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » October 9th, 2018, 12:01 am

Marinegrunt wrote:
October 8th, 2018, 1:09 pm
SyNtAxx wrote:
September 30th, 2018, 8:57 pm

That looks awesome! That definitely motivates me even more to build or buy a striping kit.
I dont have a striping kit on my mower deck.....but the deck does weigh in at about 275# itself. For giggles maybe i will pull my roller empty and see what things look like 😁

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » October 12th, 2018, 9:55 pm

Third cut in the books...