Masbustelo's Semi Renovation

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Masbustelo's Semi Renovation

Post by Masbustelo » October 7th, 2019, 3:58 am

Here is a one year update. Basically my yard is weed free at the moment. I used Weed B Gon cco spot spraying this year and it does a very good job. Plantain seems to be the weed that keeps popping up. My yard looked amazing last spring until July. Then we had about 8 weeks without rain and very high temps. By the time August came the yard was a deep brown, almost no green anywhere. In September it rained 60% of the days. The grass looks terrible at the moment. With all the rain and clouds I'm sure I have fungus issues, with lots of yellowing and not much thriving. I think lots of the perennial rye died out and maybe some other older mixed varieties are struggling. I purposely chose not to spray fungicides. I'm going with a survival of the fittest strategy. Since newer varieties are supposed to be much more disease resistant, I want them to dominate. I've overseeded twice with Mazama KBG and I see it establishing itself here and there. I will dormant overseed it this winter again in the sunnier areas. I have a shaded area that faces East It has lots of bare areas. It looks like perennial rye won't make it there, so I will dormant seed it this winter with TTTF, and again in the spring. I will experiment with the TTTF and see what it does. It is supposed to be more drought tolerant as well. I am using the aggressive nitrogen application plan this fall both to feed the grass and maybe stimulate disease, to eliminate older varieties that have little disease resistance.