Masbustelo's Semi Renovation

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Masbustelo's Semi Renovation

Post by Masbustelo » October 1st, 2018, 8:01 pm

Today I applied the 1lb. urea per k. for the first time. Mowed for the third time. Its looking great for only having been 1 month. I'm enjoying the pictures others are posting on here.

Masbustelo

Post by Masbustelo » November 26th, 2018, 10:43 pm

I finished my last 1lb of urea per k on October 15th. Throughout October and early November my lawn really looked nice. No one else on my block does anything other than mow, so I got quite a few compliments. I mulched all my leaves and brought some in that I picked up off the curb elsewhere as well. Last Friday I did the final 2lb per k drop. Today I picked up Mazama bluegrass seed and a sack of sulfate of Potash for next year. I bought the seed at Cd Ford, Geneseo, Illinois for $3.75 lb. I sowed a generic Menards shade mix in September that had a lot of annual Rye in it. My plan is to overseed with the bluegrass seed in February and then again in August, to fill in where the annual Rye won't reappear..

Masbustelo

Post by Masbustelo » November 27th, 2018, 1:00 pm

A question i have for somebody: If I do an overseed in February, when, or at what point in time could I apply a pre-emergent next spring?

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » December 1st, 2018, 1:49 am

Masbustelo wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 1:00 pm
A question i have for somebody: If I do an overseed in February, when, or at what point in time could I apply a pre-emergent next spring?
Would that be a dormant overseed? Regardless, you'd still need to wait the usual period before using the pre-M of your choice, ideally going by the label. For example, with Dimension, that may be the third mow on the new grass. You can use Tenacity (or starter with meso, if applicable) before it germinates to hold you over.

Masbustelo

Post by Masbustelo » December 1st, 2018, 4:18 am

Green I am in 5B so yes, I plan on doing a dormant overseed. Will it be probable or not probable that I would get a third mow in by the time Forsythia blooms? How early in the year, or at what temperatures can an application of Tenacity be applied? Also, its a third mowing of the overseed, right?

Green

Post by Green » December 18th, 2018, 2:37 am

Masbustelo wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 4:18 am
Green I am in 5B so yes, I plan on doing a dormant overseed. Will it be probable or not probable that I would get a third mow in by the time Forsythia blooms? How early in the year, or at what temperatures can an application of Tenacity be applied? Also, its a third mowing of the overseed, right?
I don't know how your first few mows and forsythia bloom will coincide. So, let's make it easy. How about using Scott's Starter fertilizer with Mesotrione. It will hold you over for up to 6 weeks after it's watered in. The only catch is that you don't really want to apply it to seedlings, so you'll still have to watch your conditions and figure out how to sync. everything up properly time wise. Typically, you apply it before germination, and can again after the first mowing. By the time you mow 3x to 5x, the second app will be almost worn off, and you can use Dimension. Hopefully the timing will all work well. It takes a lot of observation of the weather, forsythia, grass seed, etc., but you can make it work. Spring overseeds don't always totally survive the Summer (dormant seeding is the same) but it's worth it if you're committed. I'll be dormant overseeding and doing a similar thing, except I'll use the liquid Tenacity instead. I used the granular when I originally seeded this past Fall because there was no time to spray.

Mazama is an excellent KBG cultivar.

Green

Post by Green » December 18th, 2018, 2:52 am

One other thing...

It's really awesome that you have 140 year old grass. However, I can tell you the Mazama is a totally different look, and won't match. Is this a full overseed of a whole area? It sounds more like a patch seed.

I actually went through great length to buy an old cultivar of KBG to patch seed an old lawn this past year.

I have another idea though. I'm asking for a pro plugger for Christmas. It might be a good solution for you as well, allowing you to better match the old and new areas. Search for it in this forum if you're not familiar with it...it got some positive comments. :-) Or maybe you already have one.

Green

Post by Green » December 18th, 2018, 2:58 am

One more one more thing...

The Tenacity or starter with meso may kill some of the clover. Just be prepared for that. No way around it. You really don't have a choice, unfortunately.

Masbustelo

Post by Masbustelo » December 18th, 2018, 5:44 am

Green Thanks for the info. Lots for me to process.

Masbustelo

Post by Masbustelo » December 26th, 2018, 8:42 pm

I went ahead and dormant overseeded the mazama today. I've been waiting to do it prior to a snowstorm, but no snow on the horizon. Since I've discovered I can actually grow grass on my lawn I'll probably eliminate the clover in the spring. We are supposed to get an inch of rain tomorrow.

Masbustelo

Post by Masbustelo » April 11th, 2019, 9:01 pm

I noticed this evening that the Mazama I over seeded the day after Christmas is sprouting today. It seems to be a little more than 1/4 of an inch tall. I had a fair amount of annual rye grass last fall. I'm hoping it will fill in where the annual was. We had lots of snow, ice and sub zero temps, I thought not much would sprout.

Iowa Jim
Grass Type: kentucky bluegrass

Post by Iowa Jim » April 12th, 2019, 6:35 am

I did a reno last fall with mazama, midnight and bewitched and i had a no mix lawn before that. I don't think mazama is going to match at all like green said earlier as its going to be a very dark grass. You might like it and want to do a full reno, which wouldn't be that hard with the size of your lawn. good luck

Masbustelo

Post by Masbustelo » April 12th, 2019, 11:48 am

Thanks Jim Last fall, I didn't know if I could even grow grass. I don't have a sprinkler system. I'm in an experimentive phase. I'm curious to see what I'll have by fall. I mulched to many leaves, and smothered some areas. I'll see if he Mazama fills these areas in. We'll see about color too.

Iowa Jim
Grass Type: kentucky bluegrass

Post by Iowa Jim » April 12th, 2019, 5:34 pm

Masbustelo wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 11:48 am
Thanks Jim Last fall, I didn't know if I could even grow grass. I don't have a sprinkler system. I'm in an experimentive phase. I'm curious to see what I'll have by fall. I mulched to many leaves, and smothered some areas. I'll see if he Mazama fills these areas in. We'll see about color too.
Sounds like a good plan.

Masbustelo

Post by Masbustelo » May 31st, 2019, 8:06 pm

Today I mowed and applied 3lbs of SOP to each 1000k. I went to my Siteone dealer this morning to buy Milorganite. They were sold out, so I went to Menards and bought some Ideal Natural Lawn Fertilizer. I used it to mix the Sulphate of Potash. I applied the fertilizer from Menards (4-3-0) at half the bag rate. I have been doing that with Milorganite for about six weeks.

Masbustelo

Post by Masbustelo » June 4th, 2019, 9:47 pm

Today: Mowed. I have a lawnboy mower that is a mulcher mower. It does a more than adequate job. Then I applied CCO on clover, etc. I just mix the CCO in a quart hand sprayer. Very low tech, cost $1.00. I really don't have very many weeds anymore. The casual observer wouldn't notice any. A small amount of clover. Last year it was filled with nimblewill and creeping charlie.

Masbustelo

Post by Masbustelo » June 10th, 2019, 3:43 pm

Today, I mowed, at 3.5 inches, which is the maximum for my Sears Craftsman mower. I said I had a Lawnboy by mistake. I applied Menards Ideal Natural Lawn Fertilizer, at half the bag rate. This is their Milorganite wannabe. But everybody is sold out of Milorganite. I used up some Dithane I had mixed up on the turf. Last year day after Christmas I winter sowed Mazama bluegrass seed. Today, for the first time, I see it mixing in here and there with the perennial rye. It definitely has a blue cast to it.

Masbustelo

Post by Masbustelo » June 10th, 2019, 8:59 pm

Looking ahead to August, I'm planning on mowing low, and spreading a mix of top soil and compost over the entire lawn, and then over seeding with Mayama. I have a fair number of depressions here and there, from when I dropped tree limbs late fall. Also I want to do some major hollows too.

Masbustelo

Post by Masbustelo » June 14th, 2019, 9:21 pm

Last summer this was a special nursery for nimblewill and creeping charlie.

Masbustelo

Post by Masbustelo » June 17th, 2019, 8:36 pm

Today, mowed, applied Farm and Fleet's 5-5-0 Milorganite imitation, and 20 Mule Team Borax mixed with it. It is supposed to rain the next five days.