Safe to reapply Tenacity 30 days post seeding on Northern mix Lawn?

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Safe to reapply Tenacity 30 days post seeding on Northern mix Lawn?

Post by northeastlawn » September 18th, 2018, 9:46 pm

One of a few regrets I had from last years KBG reno was not being more aggresive with the Tenacity when the POA Annua had just germinated. The other was thinking all the bleaching I saw was just KBG getting highlighted, I suspect most of it wasn't KBG but some form of POA or "other crop". I assumed I could kill it off in the spring, I kind of wished I handled it when it first came up.

With that said I helped my uncle reno his 2,500sf lawn with SSS Northern Mix. The mix is about 20% PR, 20% FF, and I believe the rest is KBG. Its been about 30 days and I was wondering if its a good idea to apply Tenacity again to a northern mix?

The PR has probably been up for 2 weeks, its any guess how much FF and KBG came up. I'd say a good 50% of the lawn was germinated the first two weeks. It seems like the PR is growing fast and has been probably been cut twice.

I want to play it safe, but really worried about POA germinating, has anyone successfully applied Tenacity on a Northern Mix Lawn at the 30 days mark?

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Re: Safe to reapply Tenacity 30 days post seeding on Northern mix Lawn?

Post by Green » October 11th, 2018, 12:15 am

There is definitely a risk...to all the grass types at their respective stages at this point.

So, are you seeing Poa annua yet, or at least historically had it this time of year? If so, how widespread? Is it something you could handle with spot sprays?

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Re: Safe to reapply Tenacity 30 days post seeding on Northern mix Lawn?

Post by northeastlawn » October 11th, 2018, 3:48 pm

Just to close this out, this was for my uncles reno. He did a lot of complaining during the fallow period, and then during all the watering during germination, he just thinks all this lawn stuff is over blown. He was finally happy with the lawn that has come up, and thinks he could have done just as good a job by throwing some seeds on the ground and getting mother nature handle the watering.

I mixed up 3 gallons of Tenacity and headed over ready to spray. I explained what POA is and the risks of putting down Tenacity at 30 days. He kind of deiced he didn't want to have the lawn all bleached and didn't think POA was such a big deal.

It was kind of a relief, to avoid the situation, although to be honest, I feel certain I can see a lot of POA in the new lawn that came up. I just don't think he cares that much, as one of us would. I did get him to buy a bag of granular dimension and he probably put it down today before the rain.