Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Novice

Re: Sleepless in Rexford - Scheming

Post by KnickLeDime » April 23rd, 2019, 11:33 pm

Green wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 11:32 pm
KnickLeDime wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 10:19 pm
Grubex is allowed and from what I can tell merit is available as well. If you were me would you do merit or Grubex?
Grubex for sure. And ideally between now and mid May or so.
Then it will get done this week or next...

ECUPirate
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Post by ECUPirate » April 24th, 2019, 9:55 am

andy10917 wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 8:36 pm
Hey, KnickleDime, here's a young Bewitched monostand 90 miles south of you (SLYDER27's lawn) - it will probably darken by another two shades by the time it is 3 years old. I wonder if he ever finished mowing. Acceptable?

I usually try to wait until I'm done cutting grass before I start drinking. ;)

KnickLeDime
Grass Type: 1/3 Kentucky Blue, 1/3 Fescue and 1/3 Perennial Rye

Post by KnickLeDime » April 29th, 2019, 8:22 pm

Down went the grubex today... Last week, Thursday triple-19 went down. We are on our way... Hopeful that next week if I can time it around rain will put milo with borox, copper and zinc. All stock sitting in my garage.

KnickLeDime

Post by KnickLeDime » April 30th, 2019, 12:09 am

Wanted your opinion on this mix? I've decided at this point I'm not sure I have the knowledge, experience or know-how to completely kill off and start a new lawn on 28k sqf and go straight monostand. As you can see from my profile, I have a mixed lawn or what's left of it...place I'm going to source seed from recommends this mix for my zipcode.

My plan in August is to dethatch and aerate the entire lawn and then rent a slit-seeder and overseed and or repair (dead zones) with this mix. Right now my lawn is 1/3 equal parts fescue, kbg and prg so my hope is this mix will fold seamlessly into my existing lawn composition. My thought is a good thorough detaching and aeration in addition to slit seeding will really get the seed into the ground and hopefully lead to good germination especially after a full summer or Andy's soil regiment with all the various applications.

One additional question. From reading this forum and being a complete noob, it appears many on here are stock-lock-and barrel monostand in their lawns. Is it possible to get a great looking rich lush lawn from a mix like the above? Are there inherent advantages to a monostand lawn over a mixed lawn, I'm assuming aesthetically it's more pleasing when fully established because of a uniform growth rate, look, color etc.

I guess to put it another way and a question that has been weighing heavily on my mind since I'm under-way with andy's plan to fix the soil; for an inexperienced noob who's trying to get the soil chemistry correct and re-establish a heavily damaged lawn in dead areas and reinforce the surviving grass, should I focus on complete kill or can I get a great lawn with a mix like the above posted and recommended by seed seller I'm sourcing from?

Trying to plan ahead to repair and overseed (August) now that I feel like I've got the soil situation in hand and know what I'm applying and when and in what quantities.

KnickLeDime

Post by KnickLeDime » May 14th, 2019, 10:48 am

Quick update: So I've been applying various items per the Logan soil test as instructed by Andy. I'm genuinely surprised and a bit shocked at the results after only 1 round. The grass is greener and stronger then I've EVER seen it here. If you recall, even before the grub damage it was OK but never really thrived. It also appears that the grass is recovery and slowly filling in dead areas...I will absolutely need to help it along with an overseed and spot repair but I would say the completely decimated areas have probably recovered 15% of their damage especially appear to be due to creeping spread from the outer rim of the damage (if that makes sense) right near where the grass survived. Amazing how resilient grass is...it's a slow march with it getting a nice deep green and small improvements over time, blades are stronger then I've ever seen them.

I've replaced my John Deere 48" deck with mulching blades and am now mulching the clippings back. I'll post some pictures tonight. Thank you for all your help. I'm starting to stock on for next round of treatments in early June, namely triple-19. Milo with micros will go down in July per the 60 day replication suggestion. First application of milo with boron, copper and zinc sulfates went down 2.5 weeks ago.

KnickLeDime

Post by KnickLeDime » May 14th, 2019, 1:54 pm

P.S. not sure why but last 3 or 4 weeks voles have moved in...they are making the runways and digging holes everywhere and really wreaking havoc. I'm trying to trap and kill with mouse traps but that's a new front that's opened up on the battlefield of turf.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » May 14th, 2019, 7:58 pm

Have you tried the old Castor Oil trick?

KnickLeDime

Post by KnickLeDime » May 14th, 2019, 8:01 pm

andy10917 wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 7:58 pm
Have you tried the old Castor Oil trick?
Where can I find details on this trick?

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 14th, 2019, 8:10 pm

Keep at it. Love to hear the positive results. It's about doing the right things at the right time. Do this hobby smart and it's much easier with great results.

With respect to feedback on that mix, it looks like a solid northern mix with cultivars that have a long history like midnight, and newer cultivars like bewitched that are solid performers too.

A northern mix looks fantastic well maintained. I'll bet 95% cant tell the difference, especially if it isn't easy to see it next to a single species type lawn.

Something to watch out for is some of the grasses in the mix going dormant over summer before others. Keep it irrigated.

Mow it regularly , fertilize properly, irrigate.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » May 14th, 2019, 8:14 pm

There are 63 postings on the site mentioning Castor Oil for repelling voles/moles. DON'T use the unscented stuff. Spring isn't the best time as it can wash off easily with rain. If it continues once things dry up a bit, I find it works maybe 70% of the time. I use it in the Fall sometimes if I see activity, as they'll eat my hosta roots up.

I don't stick to one formula - I google it when I need it. Next time I need it, I'm going to try applying it with Nu-Film to keep it from washing away.

Try an area about 1000 sq ft and see if they abandon that area...

KnickLeDime

Post by KnickLeDime » May 15th, 2019, 11:05 am

andy10917 wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 8:14 pm
There are 63 postings on the site mentioning Castor Oil for repelling voles/moles. DON'T use the unscented stuff. Spring isn't the best time as it can wash off easily with rain. If it continues once things dry up a bit, I find it works maybe 70% of the time. I use it in the Fall sometimes if I see activity, as they'll eat my hosta roots up.

I don't stick to one formula - I google it when I need it. Next time I need it, I'm going to try applying it with Nu-Film to keep it from washing away.

Try an area about 1000 sq ft and see if they abandon that area...
Found what I needed...thank you...

KnickLeDime

Post by KnickLeDime » May 17th, 2019, 9:28 am

A few shots from last night...you'll recall shot one is the same angle as previous showing the widespread dead patches. They are still there but are closing up...I don't understand how.

KnickLeDime

Post by KnickLeDime » May 17th, 2019, 9:35 am

Forgot one more...this area was also very very week...only after one round of application of micros (boron, zinc, copper), triple 19 and milo the difference is huge. Not just the color but the grass seems stronger, blades thicker (not sure if it's true) just looks healthy. I'm amazed..!

Yesterday my neighbor came over and was like dude...what are you doing and how are you doing it? Says his wife and he were saying a few weeks ago to each other, "what is he (me) going to do with that lawn, it's destroyed". Says we can't believe it, every day it looks better. Says he want's to drop his $900 a year lawn-care company and if I can help him.

I told him to slow his roll, I've got much to learn lol...you guys are amazing here.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 17th, 2019, 11:56 am

In my experience, it never works out giving people verbal advise to do anything other than the most basic things. They simply dont execute with care and precision.

I recommended my father in law apply triclopyr for clover. I wrote really explicit instructions. I dont know what he did, but he clearly overapplied and nuked the lawn. Guess who he blamed and ended up fixing what should have been a really simple situation?

The same thing happened with my parents. "Yeah, just tell me what to do I'll do it" foolish me. They applied pre emergent too late and had a salad bowl, then killed it all with WBG.

Never again.

Now they can claim all they want it's my fault but you will be hard pressed to find my grass in that state following the same techniques with a careful person applying things.

KnickLeDime

Post by KnickLeDime » May 17th, 2019, 12:02 pm

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 11:56 am
In my experience, it never works out giving people verbal advise to do anything other than the most basic things. They simply dont execute with care and precision.

I recommended my father in law apply triclopyr for clover. I wrote really explicit instructions. I dont know what he did, but he clearly overapplied and nuked the lawn. Guess who he blamed and ended up fixing what should have been a really simple situation?

The same thing happened with my parents. "Yeah, just tell me what to do I'll do it" foolish me. They applied pre emergent too late and had a salad bowl, then killed it all with WBG.

Never again.

Now they can claim all they want it's my fault but you will be hard pressed to find my grass in that state following the same techniques with a careful person applying things.
Yeah, I have zero intentions advising anyone of anything right now...I'm in full learn mode. He can talk to me in 3 years and even then, beyond the basics not sure I'm gonna get involved.

KnickLeDime

Post by KnickLeDime » May 30th, 2019, 11:57 pm

Last week or two really getting a lot of penetration of this weed. Been reading and searching and this looks to me like horseweed. Can anyone eyeball for me and confirm? I'm searching forum for answe on how to control but if someone knows off the top of their head would appreciate some guidance.

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by schreibdave » May 31st, 2019, 6:43 am

I see that you are in Rexford. Years ago we lived at 150 Maple Ave between Alplaus Ave and Glenridge rd. We had a terrible vole problem that I never solved. Actually we moved ... if that counts.

In terms of the northern mix, I think you can have the best looking lawn for miles around with a northern mix. And given that you are still working on your soil chemistry and cultural practices it will be more forgiving than all kbg. In my last house my northern mix transitioned itself into a mostly kbg lawn over a period of years. It could be that our harsh central NY winters slowly killed off the PR and that my apps of tenacity and certainty thinned the FF or it might just be that my site and cultural practices favored the kbg.

On your neighbor wanting to do what you do - I was going to start a thread on just this topic. The neighbor NEVER follows through. I get asked questions all the time about what I do on my lawn and eyes start to glaze over after the first 30 seconds of my answer. What people really want is to know which lawn care company to use. Good luck!

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by ken-n-nancy » May 31st, 2019, 6:48 am

KnickLeDime wrote:
May 30th, 2019, 11:57 pm
Last week or two really getting a lot of penetration of this weed. Been reading and searching and this looks to me like horseweed. Can anyone eyeball for me and confirm? I'm searching forum for answe on how to control but if someone knows off the top of their head would appreciate some guidance.

I don't know what that is. I think of TimmyG as ATY's resident weed identification expert -- maybe he'll have an idea.

However, it is clearly a "broadleaf weed" so for controlling it, I generally don't bother to identify broadleaf weeds unless they are something that doesn't respond to the "Level 1" treatment of the Triangle Approach. (Click for link.)

For a little bit of a broadleaf weed like that scattered in my lawn, I would get rid of these by hand-pulling, as they seem to be shallow-rooted and easy to see in the lawn.

If there's too much of it for that, I would personally use 2,4-D because that's my "catch-all" for broadleaf weeds and I already have what is probably a lifetime supply for me. Basically, any "broadleaf weed killer" from your favorite hardware store or garden center which contains 2,4-D should take it out quickly and easily. (Such as https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ortho-Weed- ... /205697164 )

KnickLeDime

Post by KnickLeDime » May 31st, 2019, 9:10 am

Update on the voles...I have no idea how or what happened but...as quickly as they came they vanished. There haven't been any new holes or runways in almost 2 weeks. I killed one fat one with a good old fashion mouse trap and activity stop.

Odd...

KnickLeDime

Post by KnickLeDime » June 7th, 2019, 8:48 pm

Those who've been following this thread will know what I'm coming from. Amazing turnaround...