How early can I spray roundup to nuke my lawn for a renovation in the spring?

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
john5246
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

How early can I spray roundup to nuke my lawn for a renovation in the spring?

Post by john5246 » March 5th, 2019, 4:27 pm

Against the advice of people here I've decided to go ahead and do my lawn renovation this spring rather than fall. The mix will be Midnight/Bewitched at 50/50. Can I spray the glyphosate anytime or wait until I see some spring growth? I'm thinking of seeding sometime in May if weather permits.

What is the ideal overnight temps for best germination of KGB?

Also if the germination rate on the ticket indicates 85% do you factor that in to how much seed you put down. For example, if you are putting down 2lbs/1000 sq ft with a germination of 85% that means only 27.2 oz will germinate instead of the full 32oz of seed (2lbs). Anyone know how to calculate this since the additional seed you throw down will also have 15% not germinate?

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Re: How early can I spray roundup to nuke my lawn for a renovation in the spring?

Post by turf_toes » March 6th, 2019, 7:01 am

You are overthinking everything.

You can apply roundup if the grass is green. If the temps are cold, it will take longer to kill the grass. But it will eventually work. I’ve applied in early March and seen it take five weeks to die. But it worked. The grass must be green.

The grass seed will germinate when it is ready. Why do you need to know an exact temperature? As you note, spring seeding isn’t a good practice. But it’s your call.

Apply seed at the suggested seeding rate 2-to-3 pounds per thousand feet.

Growing grass is simple. Don’t make an easy task hard.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: How early can I spray roundup to nuke my lawn for a renovation in the spring?

Post by Green » March 6th, 2019, 12:20 pm

If you're going to Spring seed, why wait until May to kill, if it's green in April? That will just put you closer to Summer, making it harder.

85% germination is good, new seed. No need to compensate for anything. If it were 4 or 5-year-old seed, then you might have to use a little extra. You can test old seed yourself using moist paper towels in a bag.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » March 6th, 2019, 2:08 pm

FWIW, if you have to seed in the spring, which I do this year, consider waiting until there is a lesser chance of frost.

john5246
Grass Type: KBG

Post by john5246 » March 7th, 2019, 1:46 am

Green wrote:
March 6th, 2019, 12:20 pm
If you're going to Spring seed, why wait until May to kill, if it's green in April? That will just put you closer to Summer, making it harder.

85% germination is good, new seed. No need to compensate for anything. If it were 4 or 5-year-old seed, then you might have to use a little extra. You can test old seed yourself using moist paper towels in a bag.
Well I need 1 week to let it die and then another 2-4 weeks to let weeds or anything I missed grow...then reapply. If it's green in mid april that would perfect I think. Mid may is the earliest I'm willing to risk throwing down seeds as we do have quite unpredictable weather here in the midwest.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » March 7th, 2019, 3:50 pm

Yeah, that KBG germinates so slowly that it can be pretty cold sensitive. I don't think I personally would have the guts to do a KBG Spring Reno. TTTF, maybe, since it doesn't "pout" as long, so the cold probably won't zap it as badly. I'm sure you can make it work decently, though. Others have. I have no problems overseeding with KBG in the Spring, but I drop seed early, and accept whatever cold damage occurs.