KBGKA rear yard reno

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Re: KBGKA rear yard reno

Post by KBGkicksazz » August 14th, 2019, 8:04 pm

Just got back from a two week vacation. Crabgrass is mostly gone except few a few small patches and even got some new CG that germinated. Major aesthetic improvement having the CG gone.

Punchline: Three apps of Tenacity eradicated most of the crabgrass but it didn’t stop new stuff from germinating.

I’m not sold on Tenacity being a fool proof weed preventir on renovations. Maybe on lawns that have been established previous and had preM going on before the reno it’s more effective.

On my new construction lawn Tenacity was ineffective at preventing any weeds the pushed right through. For the rest of this growing season I’ll hand pull whatever pops up.

I’ve got a couple spots I’ll put down some loam and seed into it in the next 10 days. Color is starting to even out

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » August 14th, 2019, 8:20 pm

I agree with you to some degree -- as a Pre-M, Tenacity is no match for Dimension or Prodiamine. It is, however, far far better than nothing. Go back and look at some of the Renovation pictures from the pre-Tenacity era (before 2011) - we used to see Renovations with 60%-70% weed amounts back then. We are spoiled.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » August 15th, 2019, 5:56 am

The Tenacity did better than Quinclorac would havevdone on the varying maturity levels of the CG.

However I think Quinclorac seems to do better with residual kill of new CG plants.

I’m Glad I cleaned up the weeds my rear yard is looking much better and now the grass won’t have to compete this fall as it starts to spread.

My entire yard has been this way with massive amounts of weeds and areas that just don’t seem to want to grow grass. For those areas I’ve had to loam and reseed to get the lawn established.
andy10917 wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 8:20 pm
I agree with you to some degree -- as a Pre-M, Tenacity is no match for Dimension or Prodiamine. It is, however, far far better than nothing. Go back and look at some of the Renovation pictures from the pre-Tenacity era (before 2011) - we used to see Renovations with 60%-70% weed amounts back then. We are spoiled.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » September 1st, 2019, 8:38 am

Color has evened out. I have a few sporadic weeds pop up but I hand pluck them.

The area closest to the camera is where the water runs down hill off the driveway as it’s a slope. I’ve seeded the area and since my rear yard is not irrigated I’m using a ghetto sprinkler system to water in the heavy fert.

Eradication of the crabgrass has allowed the KGB to spread vigorously. Cool nights and warm days and my lawn has taken off and requires mowing every 2-3 days.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » September 5th, 2019, 4:45 pm

Picture from opposite side of yard.

Lawn is already developing into actual turf.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » September 5th, 2019, 5:10 pm

Sweet.