Rogue's Reno Plan 2019/2020. Any and all feedback requested

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
RoguePanther
Grass Type: KBG/PR/FF
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Rogue's Reno Plan 2019/2020. Any and all feedback requested

Post by RoguePanther » May 5th, 2019, 10:22 pm

Okay guys, new to the forum. Here's my plan for my triv and reno.....pick it apart and provide feedback please.

Background: 10 year old Western PA lawn infested with triv in the front ( west) and side ( south ). The lawn is part sun / part shade as I do have a few mature trees. The lot slopes gently from the north to the south. The water does not drain off of the south side yard too well. Record rainfall in 2108 and early 2019 has made it darn near impossible to make any headway. I have a pool in the back that acts as a barrier to the northern part of the yard that is triv free by the grace of God somehow... I am in a relatively nice subdivision with some snooty neighbors. I do have an irrigation system that admittedly I overutilized early on in my lawn care journey.

Plan:

2019 - improve drainage on the lower side of the lot, no irritation whatsoever, hope and pray for a scorching summer.
2020:
March 20th glyphosate entire front and side lawn.
March 30th 2nd application of glyphosate to entire front and side lawn.
April 5th scalp lawn and dethatch
April 10 third application of glyphosate to entire front and side lawn
April 15th seed either only annual rye or only perennial rye to achieve quick germination and go through the summer with at least something green in my lawn. At this time, also buy sod quality gold tag seed for my fall permanent reno. Hopefully, 30 % Bewitched/30 % Mazama/ 20% improved perennial rye, and 20 % improved fine fescue
Sept 10 fourth glyphosate application to entire front and side lawn
Sept 20 fifth glyphosate application entire front and side lawn
Sept 25th reseed with the premium seed I purchased in the spring

Hope and pray that five applications of glyphosate nuke my triv off the face of the earth.

Going forward only run the irrigation manually in the dead of summer when the KBG starts to look sick.

Questions:
1) should I still go after any triv spots this spring or this fall?
2) is it a bad Idea to seed a temporary lawn for the summer of 2020 with either annual rye or perennial rye, or should I go with fescue since I've read that fine fescue actually secretes m-tyrosine that is a natural herbicide? I almost don't want to suppress the triv so it's nice and healthy next spring to receive the death knell.
3) Any comments on the seed mix?
4) I figure there has to be a wealth of knowledge on this site. Is there a poa triv reno thread or link that I should be looking at?
5) is this overkill?

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Re: Rogue's Reno Plan 2019/2020. Any and all feedback requested

Post by Green » May 6th, 2019, 12:26 am

Welcome!

I hate to say it, but experts advise killing Triv in the Spring, now. I have been glyphosating my spots this past week.

I would not introduce annual rye. Too much complication that may come back later on and mess up your lawn.

My anecdotal observations are that weeds have difficulty growing in thick fine fescue turf. I've seen studies supporting the idea that FF and PR can both be allelopathic.

I would seed with your final mix if you need to Spring seed, then overseed in the late Summer, but neither option is wrong. I would not intro annual rye, FF, or TTTF. They might contaminate your future lawn.

I'd go without FF in your final mix, unless it's really needed (shade). Otherwise, your mix sounds good. I would also keep the TTPR seed percentage under 15% by weight.

Also, get a soil test done this Spring (instructions on this site).

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 6th, 2019, 2:29 pm

Kill the triv now, and all summer long, until you seed this fall. Drop seed at the beginning of August.

Dont bother with trying to grow a temporary lawn for 4 weeks that will be a time hog and not look good anyways by july.

Spend that time and money on a soil test and its recommendations over at the soil forum.

RoguePanther
Grass Type: KBG/PR/FF
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by RoguePanther » May 8th, 2019, 2:58 pm

Hoosier - I printed out the soil test forms and will collect samples this weekend. I'm so glad I'm planning this reno a year in advance and not rushing it.

Speaking of soil, is it better to bring in soil and replace the soil in areas most infested with triv, or fallow the triv infested areas for a summer/early fall?

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 8th, 2019, 10:34 pm

I'd fallow. New dirt has weeds, and since trivialis grows through stolons et al, I would be worried that you didn't kill it and it will grow up through it anyways.

And buy sod quality seed.

Dont rush. Killing off triv is important.

Early to mid August are good target seed down dates. Right as summer heat breaks.