Looking for tip. Just harley raked and seeded TTTF ...

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
robmorren2
Grass Type: TTTF Renovation
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Novice

Looking for tip. Just harley raked and seeded TTTF ...

Post by robmorren2 » May 6th, 2019, 6:36 pm

Looking for a little help, as I'm a total newbie to lawn care. We live in Northern Indiana, and we had a pool put in at the end of last fall. It was too late in the fall to repair the lawn last year (concrete truck tracks, bulldozer tracks, etc). So unfortunately, we needed to spring seed.

I'm trying my best to do it right. I had a guy harley rake and flatten the yard nicely. Then I helped him hand rake, drop TTTF seed, lightly rake again, put down fertilizer with tenacity, and cover with straw. We got a little bit of good luck and it started to rain as we were spreading the straw. I'm looking for any tips on what else I should do, and what my next few weeks/months should entail? For example:

1. Watering Tips? Should I just let the rain do its job for the most part, and only water when we get a few dry days in a a row? Should I water lightly daily? etc etc

2. More seed? Should I drop another helping of seed after awhile, or would that be counterproductive? I have plenty of seed left.

3. I plan on following up in a few weeks with a round of spray tenacity. Any reason to not do that?

4. Fertilizer? Should I be good until later in the summer, or do I add more at some point. What we put down was 21-22-4 with .08% mesotrione (Tenacity)

5. Mowing and foot traffic -- wait until it's as tall as possible to mow? Totally avoid foot traffic or ok to walk across?

Any and All tips are most appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Looking for tip. Just harley raked and seeded TTTF ...

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 6th, 2019, 6:42 pm

1. Adjust as needed but mother nature is wonderful for rainfall right now.

2. Wait until germination is over, save it for fall.

3. Definitely use tenacity, especially for the grassy weeds you planted with that straw.

4. Mow as soon as possible. As low as the mower can go without dragging the deck on the ground or scalping. Like when its 2 in.

robmorren2
Grass Type: TTTF Renovation
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Novice

Post by robmorren2 » May 6th, 2019, 9:54 pm

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 6:42 pm
4. Mow as soon as possible. As low as the mower can go without dragging the deck on the ground or scalping. Like when its 2 in.
Just curious, why do you mow as soon as possible? I thought you wanted it to grow tall so the roots grow deep ... and then cut? (like I said, I know basically nothing).

Thanks!

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 6th, 2019, 10:08 pm

It will help it fill in sooner.

Yes, dont keep it short forever, let it grow out towards summer, just start mowing when you can.