Dimension or Quinclorac to keep Crab Grass out of a newly seeded spring reno?

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Dimension or Quinclorac to keep Crab Grass out of a newly seeded spring reno?

Post by northeastlawn » May 10th, 2019, 8:45 pm

So my sister pulled another last ditch spring reno with PR despite my warnings. She got pretty lucky with the rain, she has only had to water a few times. I put Tenacity down at seed time, but the reno was washed out a week after and I had to reseed some areas. It's been about 3 weeks on some spots, and almost two weeks in another.

The problem is the Crab Grass is starting to pop up, and the reno area was covered with it for years. I put Tenacity down at seed time, but a wash out probably wiped out some of the protection.

My plan was to hope the PR came up fast enough to get a Dimension down, since Dimension has some post emergent properties, but I'm on the fence whether to.....

1.) Drop dimension with this big rain coming up, the label says you can use it two weeks after germination and a lot of the lawn .

2.) Wait and try Quinclorac on June 1st as Andy has suggested. June 1st would give the new seedlings a little more time, but I think the crab grass might get too big for Quinclorac to control.

Any suggestions on what option would be better for the new lawn?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Dimension or Quinclorac to keep Crab Grass out of a newly seeded spring reno?

Post by andy10917 » May 10th, 2019, 8:56 pm

If you can see crabgrass in early May in MA, it ain't crabgrass.

northeastlawn

Re: Dimension or Quinclorac to keep Crab Grass out of a newly seeded spring reno?

Post by northeastlawn » May 10th, 2019, 9:48 pm

Its really small, it looks like the small CG blades before they start tillering into multiple leafs. Maybe I am assuming its the crab grass coming back, because CG is all over her front yard every year.

Ill let some of it it get bigger and try to ID it, maybe Ill get another week or two and I can handle the CG sure to come up with one of those two options.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » May 11th, 2019, 9:00 am

There is nothing wrong with a Quinclorac app on top of a Dimension app, other than the double budget hit.

The reason that I specify June 1st for the "I missed the Pre-M window" Quinclorac app is that Quinclorac has some pre-emergent effects for up to 45 days. Therefore, two apps spaced about 45 days apart stays under the max application rate while buying you post-M and pre-M effects against crabgrass for 90 days, and that's 90 days of coverage (until the end of August). There isn't much crabgrass germinating after that time, as the temperature bein to fall. If you're needing to accelerate the program, you can - just realize that you're pulling the end-date up some.

Don't be rigid about dates if you've got a visible problem - do what you have to do...

PS: check what the spacing of Quinclorac apps after seeding is.

northeastlawn

Post by northeastlawn » May 11th, 2019, 9:19 am

Thanks will do, one last question....

Right now what I am pretty sure is CG from online photos and past knowledge of the lawn, is very small like little tiny leafs, maybe two weeks away of being every where again.

Is there a stage of CG growth where Quinclorac won't be effective?

I think I have some wiggle room and may be a week or two away before its infested again, I'd get a few more weeks of establish roots, but with rain on the way I'm tempted to hit it with dimension while I have rain coming next week.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » May 11th, 2019, 9:30 am

Quinclorac is weird in its effects on crabgrass - it has a donut-hole in how and when it is effective on crabgrass. It is very effective early-on and at later stages, but not as effective in the middle-stages.

From Michigan State:
When crabgrass is small (one-to-three leaf – one tiller) or when it is gorilla-sized (four tillers and over), quinclorac will provide excellent control of crabgrass and is very safe when applied to new cool-season turf seedings.