June 1st: Initial Renovation Roll Call for Class of 2019

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

June 1st: Initial Renovation Roll Call for Class of 2019

Post by andy10917 » June 1st, 2019, 8:39 am

Well, would you look at that - the calendar flipped the page to June already!

June 1st is typically where we ask who is planning to be part of the Class of 2019 Renovators - we're roughly 10 weeks out from the traditional seed-down date for northern lawns, and it's time to start to real planning and gathering of materials. The "I have a dream" period is over and it's time to get dirty, or at least locate the supplies and suppliers.

You'll be surprised how fast the time goes.

Every year, we get Members that wait until August 1st, and then panic that the seed that they wanted to use is hard to find. You need to understand that the grass seed crop "season" starts in September and ends in late August. This means that in-demand cultivars have a strong tendency to become unavailable (sold-out) pretty soon.

So, warnings aside, who's in the Class of 2019 and what do you plan on taking on for your Renovation Project?

If you're getting it together for your 2019 Renovation, you are strongly encouraged to start a personal thread in the Lawn Renovations forum with a title like "ANDY10917's 2019 Renovation" and start telling the story about all the work that will get you ready for Seed-Down date. It's great to see all the detail in one place when you're asking a question in August or September.

PS: this specific topic is NOT a topic to ask questions about Renovation work, or discuss previous Renovations. Postings that don't stay to the area of "I'm in for 2019" will be unceremoniously removed. Put your specific questions/comments in your personal thread...

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: June 1st: Initial Renovation Roll Call for Class of 2019

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » June 4th, 2019, 5:56 pm

They are resurfacing our street and I anticipate fixing damage. At the same time i have an area close by with more quack than i care to paint that i will likely nuke at the same time.

gryd
Grass Type: Elite Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: June 1st: Initial Renovation Roll Call for Class of 2019

Post by gryd » June 11th, 2019, 10:51 pm

I’m in for a small renovation of 2,500-3,000 square feet after I have a landscaper do some regrading in my backyard. Seed is already here. Andy is right. Renovators need to buy their seed now!