Partial Renovation Elimination of Bentgras

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
jcs43920
Grass Type: Bluegrass, Rye blend.
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Partial Renovation Elimination of Bentgras

Post by jcs43920 » June 10th, 2019, 9:19 am

I moved into my home last summer and noticed the backyard was completely different colors of green. So I am doing a partial renovation on my backyard. I am doing this because I have a terrible problem with creeping bentgrass. It has completely taken over in large areas and continues to spread and choke out my good grasses. It is just too much to thin out with tenacity because there is absolutely no desirable grass within the areas the bentgrass has taken over. The light green color of the bentgrass doesn’t match my fine fescue/turf type and it lays over and will not grow straight up like the other grasses. The other issue I have is some compacted clay soil that gets “mushy” after heavy rains and in the spring. I got the area airated back in the early spring and while it did help with the drainage it didn’t completely solve the problem.

My backyard is 6100 sqft and have decided to completely kill and tear out the approximately 2,000 sqft of bent grass. I started by marking the areas with turf paint and scalped the grass and bagged the clipping so I didn’t have as many to deal with once I tore it up. I also sprayed the whole area with tenacity to kill the grass without harming the new grass seed I am going to plant. Later on I rented a rototiller and tilled the area several times. I kept raking the remaining sod/clippings over and over till it was bare dirt. I then put down about 20 bags of top soil, 25 bags of compost, 5 bags of scotts turf builder lawn soil, and a couple bags of peat moss. I mixed them all and raked them smooth. I then put down my grass seed which I choose Scotts Dense shade mix.

The Scotts dense shade mix is a good choice for my backyard because of the large oak and silver maple trees that shade the area. I have used this stuff before for patches and loved the look of the turf. It’s a dark green/blue mix or ryzomus turf type tall fescue, and has some fine fescue and a tad of Kentucky bluegrass mixed in. I think this should match the turf I have in the area and can ariate/overseed in the fall to get it to blend even better.

I put the seed down a little heavy and watered it in the soil. I also put some Scotts starter fert with weed control (tenacity) down to prevent any of the benthrass/weeds from invading again. I also put a light layer of vigoro turf type tall fescue in just for the heck of it. I covered this with a light layer of straw and am going to lightly water this twice a day for the next two weeks.

I will continue to post more pictures to show how this went.

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Re: Partial Renovation Elimination of Bentgras

Post by KBGkicksazz » June 10th, 2019, 9:55 am

Spray Tenacity.

The granular will hurt it but use the liquid and spray it and after 2-3 apps it should get rid of it.

jcs43920

Post by jcs43920 » June 11th, 2019, 12:20 pm

KBGkicksazz wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 9:55 am
Spray Tenacity.

The granular will hurt it but use the liquid and spray it and after 2-3 apps it should get rid of it.
Will do. I bought some tenacity, surfactant, and coloring all ready to go. I’m going to spot spray the bent grass in my front lawn as well and hopefully I can knock it out.

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by KBGkicksazz » June 13th, 2019, 10:25 am

The blessing here is Tenacity easily wipes it out and because bent looks so different than other turf grass it’s easy to see where it’s at.

jcs43920 wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 12:20 pm
KBGkicksazz wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 9:55 am
Spray Tenacity.

Will do. I bought some tenacity, surfactant, and coloring all ready to go. I’m going to spot spray the bent grass in my front lawn as well and hopefully I can knock it out.

jcs43920

Post by jcs43920 » June 15th, 2019, 7:22 am

Updated pics of the renovation.

[