Looking for advice on new new lawn/reno

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
sspot56
Grass Type: KBG, Rye, Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Looking for advice on new new lawn/reno

Post by sspot56 » June 28th, 2019, 5:49 pm

I am in the Chicago area and I am having my 10k sq. ft. backyard re-graded at the end of July. I'm hiring the job out. They will remove the existing sod, grade and put down a few inches of top soil. At that point I will have an irrigation system installed before seeding. So I hope to have the seed down and water running by mid-august.

This is my first renovation and am feeling overwhelmed trying to separate what I must do from what is more of a nice-to-have. I have what probably seem like basic questions to all of you, but I'm struggling to find clear answers.

I will be planting a balanced mix of Midnight, Everest, and Bewitched KBG with 10% Stellar 3GL PRG with the whole area covered by a seed blanket. I plan to put down Tenacity just before or when I do seeding. I've read to do a second app 3 weeks after germination. Is this a good idea and should it be after the PRG germination or after the KBG?

Should I put down starter fert at seeding time? When should my next fertilzer application be and what type?
First mow at 2.5-3 inches. Again, should I wait for the KBG to reach this height before I mow or go ahead when the PRG is there?

Anything else I should be doing for establishment?

Thanks!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Looking for advice on new new lawn/reno

Post by andy10917 » June 28th, 2019, 6:09 pm

Read as many of the Renovation log postings as you can handle - there are hundreds of them and most of your questions will be answered in them.

Come back to this thread with questions that haven't been asked hundreds of times.