southern-ct-4's August 2019 partial renovation (fixing poa triv lawn)

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Re: southern-ct-4's August 2019 partial renovation (fixing poa triv lawn)

Post by southern-ct-4 » September 18th, 2019, 10:27 pm

It's now been 35 days since seeding (not since germination, which I unfortunately forgot to track, aside from knowing that after 3 weeks the PR was a couple inches tall). I can see some KBG, but unfortunately I think I put down too much PR/FF compared to the KBG, and the PR is coming in very thick, not leaving much room for KBG, which I believe (I read that) it might get crowded out or held back by the PR. I was hoping the PR/FF would be a bit sparser, leaving more room for the KBG...

In any case, given that it's hard to tell if the germination has stopped or not, what would you do now in terms of watering, given that it's been 35 days since seeding? Should I still water light/frequent to make sure the KBG has all germinated, or start to go a little less frequent/deeper (and if less often, about how many times/day)?

Thank you.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » September 18th, 2019, 10:39 pm

If you're not seeing any changes or additional germination, you can start the transition, but you have to fully commit to "what I have is what I'm going to have" to do that. It's not an easy decision to make. Go from 3x-5x a day to 2X a day but deeper. And change that after 10 days to 1X a day, etc.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » September 19th, 2019, 8:23 am

Thanks Andy. Maybe I'll give it a few more days (try to monitor it better for any new germination and to get through the 80s of this coming weekend) and then proceed to 2x/day.

Thanks again.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » September 30th, 2019, 10:32 am

So the good news is that my seeding was (so far) a nice success. Coming in very well and looks good. The bad news is that I (apparently) did an awful job of nuking all the triv in the spring and/or new triv germinated.

The large area I killed in the front is pretty good, though there might be some triv here and there that I'm pulling. However, for the random spots around my yard, and in the back where I killed off decent size areas here and there, the triv has come back like crazy. Essentially I think I didn't spray far enough around any areas I killed, so the new grass in the killed areas is great, but is now surrounded by triv.

I thought I went a foot around all the bad areas, but either I didn't or it wasn't enough or the triv is just so strong that there was just enough left to come back in full force.

Am now debating next steps. Live with it (i.e. give up). Round it up right now (and of course again next spring). Wait until the spring to round it up.
Hit it with tenacity now to light it up and maybe slow it down in advance of round up next spring?

What's extra annoying is that I had hit many of these areas with 3 rounds of certainty (after round up but before new seeding) as I had a feeling some of the areas were looking a little iffy. Apparently that did nothing.

This sucks :(

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » October 4th, 2019, 10:58 am

andy10917 wrote:
September 18th, 2019, 10:39 pm
If you're not seeing any changes or additional germination, you can start the transition, but you have to fully commit to "what I have is what I'm going to have" to do that. It's not an easy decision to make. Go from 3x-5x a day to 2X a day but deeper. And change that after 10 days to 1X a day, etc.
How much water am I looking to put down per day at the 2x/day and 1/x day schedule?

Thanks!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » October 4th, 2019, 4:32 pm

You have to use your eyes - there is no fixed answer. Watch for any signs of stress as you lengthen the time between waterings and increase the time you irrigate. The goal is to get to 1"/week over the course of time, but do it in steps. If you see stress or it is unusually hot, use your head about how to deal with it.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » October 4th, 2019, 4:36 pm

Ok thank you.