Grass seed from Scotts brand

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
lawnlawn
Grass Type: Elite KBG blend of Award, Bewitched & Rhapsody seeded in end of September 2019.
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Novice

Grass seed from Scotts brand

Post by lawnlawn » July 16th, 2019, 3:42 pm

Hello,
Just curious what experts think about using "Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed Sun & Shade Mix" versus buying seeds from "seedsuperstrore" based on zipcode recommendation. A 40 lbs seed bag from Scott that covers 16,000 sq. ft. is available for just $61.20 under Amazon prime deal right now, any reason not to go for that?
Thanks!

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: Grass seed from Scotts brand

Post by TimmyG » July 16th, 2019, 5:00 pm

Well, if you didn't act already, it's a moot point since the Lightning Deal is 100% claimed, so the price is back up to $110.78.

"Covers up to 16,000 sq. ft." refers to overseeding. New/bare lawn coverage is one third of that...per the label. Now how much actual seed that is per 1,000 sq. ft. is anyone's guess. With Scotts, you're mostly paying for the coating "technology" rather than seed. And unless you buy the bag in person, you'll have absolutely no idea what blend of what cultivars is in that bag.

Now that's not to say that the Scotts seed wouldn't have suited your needs and interests just fine. We just don't know what matters to you. Most experienced folks on this forum would rather select their cultivars for various reasons and pay for quality seed that is actually just seed.

lawnlawn
Grass Type: Elite KBG blend of Award, Bewitched & Rhapsody seeded in end of September 2019.
Level: Novice

Post by lawnlawn » July 16th, 2019, 5:29 pm

TimmyG wrote:
July 16th, 2019, 5:00 pm
Well, if you didn't act already, it's a moot point since the Lightning Deal is 100% claimed, so the price is back up to $110.78.

"Covers up to 16,000 sq. ft." refers to overseeding. New/bare lawn coverage is one third of that...per the label. Now how much actual seed that is per 1,000 sq. ft. is anyone's guess. With Scotts, you're mostly paying for the coating "technology" rather than seed. And unless you buy the bag in person, you'll have absolutely no idea what blend of what cultivars is in that bag.

Now that's not to say that the Scotts seed wouldn't have suited your needs and interests just fine. We just don't know what matters to you. Most experienced folks on this forum would rather select their cultivars for various reasons and pay for quality seed that is actually just seed.
Okay, I am in the process of complete lawn renovation and I had already invested so much of time and money, therefore, I won't mind spending little extra for quality grass seeds. Nevertheless, I ordered one bag from Amazon but I may cancel the order before it ships later tonight. Not sure how trustworthy is the Q&A section on the Amazon website, here is one of the most voted answers about seed composition.

what kind of grass seed is in the mix?
Answer: The Packaging states the following:
9.76% Wendy Jean Creeping Red Fescue
9.75% Fenway Creeping Red Rescue
8.77% Citation Fore Perennial Ryegrass
8.28% Silver Dollar Perennial Ryegrass
6.34% Moonshine Kentucky Bluegras
2.92% Abbey Kentucky Bluegrass
2.92%Right Kentucky Bluegrass
50% Watersmart PLUS Fertilizer Coating
1% Inert from seed
0.25% other crop seed
0.01% weed seed
Noxious Weed Seed: None Found

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by Pway » July 16th, 2019, 5:53 pm

Personally, I will never skimp on seed. The time and money spent on watering, chemicals, fertilizers, you time, etc dwarfs the cost of seed. SSS is a bit more expensive so if you can find what you want elsewhere, great. But I will never buy a seed again that isn’t gold tag zero weed, zero other crop. Just npmy twocents as a novice.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » July 18th, 2019, 6:58 pm

I've used Scotts seed for overseeding and patch seeding in my "low-input area" sometimes, and it has worked great, but I'd never use it on my main lawn areas. That said, I'm happy with the performance in the areas I've used it. Last Fall, I used a mixture containing every conceivable major cool-season grass species (including a lot of Scotts seed) so something would grow, and that has worked out well...it's thriving now. I also like the coating for helping to keep things moist, but it costs more and you only get half the seed. You can use something called SoilMoist to achieve a similar result.