Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
brake16
Grass Type: KBG + ?
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Reno timing after Barricade

Post by brake16 » August 7th, 2019, 11:11 am

Good Morning

I'm gearing up to reno my backyard, and I need some advice on whether to go for it now, this fall, or wait until next spring. Potential complication: my lawn service applied Barricade earlier this year:

April 1, 3 pounds per 1000 sq ft, 25-0-5 0.38 BARRICADE, granular.
May 6, 3 pounds per 1000 sq ft, 25-0-5 0.38 BARRICADE, granular + dicamba spray, 0.9807 fluid ounces per 1000 sq ft.

Big question: how long should I wait to reno? The lawn service says 6 weeks after application is fine, but I've seen conflicting information online and don't want to throw down seed (and effort) if it's just going to die. This is in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Thanks
Bryce

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Reno timing after Barricade

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 8th, 2019, 8:08 am

Prodiamine lasts a long time. 6 weeks is way too short for even a half application of the annual amount. There are many threads here about failed fall renovations following spring pre emergent. Prodiamine is broken down by warmth and sunlight not calendar days. Impossible to know precisely, and you made two applications.

So, the best course of action if you renovate this fall is to lessen the risk of it being active still and break up the soil surface heavily, or wait until next year. Still riskier.

Throw in you live in Michigan and have a shorter growing season ahead of you, doesnt leave much time to kill it and tear up the surface after a good scalp. May not have time for a reseed this fall if things dont go well.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » August 8th, 2019, 9:17 am

While I don't disagree with HLG's opinion, I think there is still time to determine whether or not you will be able to do seeding this season, and do it with good odds of success.

I would go out to HD or Lowe's and get my hands on a small bag of Perennial Rye or other fast-germinating seed like EZ-Seed. Put it down in a bare spot and see if it germinates. Obviously, don't scratch up the soil or anything as that would invalidate the test by breaking the Pre-M barrier. PR germinates in about 5 days, and you'd have empirical evidence of whether seeding will work or not within a week. Just throw down the seed and cover it with a little peat moss, water it properly and you'll have an answer...

brake16
Grass Type: KBG + ?
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by brake16 » August 8th, 2019, 9:51 am

Andy

That's a great idea! Nothing beats data. There's a local supply store near where I work that has two options that might fit the bill. The first is a blend of 96% annual rye + 4% perennial rye. The second is 40% perennial rye, 35% annual rye, and 25% creeping red fescue. They don't have a straight-up PR. I'm assuming the 96:4 one will work for this test, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks
Bryce

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » August 8th, 2019, 11:34 am

You'll be killing it if it works and germinates, so do what you need to.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 8th, 2019, 1:17 pm

I like the test and verify approach. I would only use seed I tested to work of i were you. In other words, dont test with PR then seed KBG if you get good germination.

It's hard to know exactly how much pre emergent ypu applied and is still working. Splitting hairs, the real test is better.