What Would You Do?

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
Bales9er
Grass Type: Lesco Double Eagle PR
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

What Would You Do?

Post by Bales9er » August 18th, 2019, 4:20 pm

Really struggling with what to do with my yard, can't call it a lawn at this point. To make this a bit easier, the link to my soil test (warning: it's scary) is here to see what I'm up against:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24948&p=333353#p333353

I've seeded with PR each of the past 2 springs (Yes I know not the best time to seed) and have been keeping up with my soil amendments per the ST6 recommendations. I don't have irrigation other than regular sprinklers and I'd rather not have to drag them out all summer as needed. I get there are times when I may HAVE to water but there has to be an ultra low maintenance grass out there that can give me the temporary fix I need. What I'm looking for at this point is a lawn that is serviceable, not the best on the block, just something that isn't littered with weeds and bare spots all summer...the showcase lawn will have to wait until my soil improves quite a bit. That said, are there any recommendations for low maintenance seed mixes that will do well in poor soil conditions? K31? A ryegrass blend? Also looking for a quick fix here since Im up against it time-wise for a reno here in MA.

What would you all do if you were in my shoes?

flyingfish88
Grass Type: TTTF/PRG/FF

Re: What Would You Do?

Post by flyingfish88 » August 19th, 2019, 8:00 am

Hi Bales,

You might want to consider some perennial ryegrass if you want to get something going quickly.

This year I killed off a bunch of weedy spots and left with a lot of bare areas. I wanted to get something established quickly so overseeded with prg. You will get germination quickly (4 to 5 days).

My yard might look uneven in color , but I’m just trying to keep it going until a renovation in the next year or two.

I used champion gq prg which is a blend of 3 cultivars.

flyingfish88
Grass Type: TTTF/PRG/FF

Post by flyingfish88 » August 19th, 2019, 8:23 am

Ah, I read to quickly and see you already used PRG in the spring.

Still think that’s your quickest option and now obviously a better time of year.

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by schreibdave » August 19th, 2019, 9:44 am

Would you consider finding a cheap source of OM and aerating that into the top few inches? I know that aerating is likely to expose weed seeds but that seems like the least of your problems. For a cheap source of OM I have used municipal compost with good luck. Around here I can get a load dumped in my pick up for $15. That's probably 2 yards. The danger with that compost is again that you could bring in weed seeds - but that's what you get for $15 for 2 yards. My other thought is to find a source for saw dust and do the same. I think with the saw dust people here will suggest adding more nitrogen because the act of decomposing that stuff requires N. Or something like that.

Maybe focus on one part of the yard to keep it manageable and see how it goes? Good luck.

Bales9er

Post by Bales9er » August 19th, 2019, 2:41 pm

schreibdave wrote:
August 19th, 2019, 9:44 am
Would you consider finding a cheap source of OM and aerating that into the top few inches? I know that aerating is likely to expose weed seeds but that seems like the least of your problems.

That's a good idea that I hadn't really given much thought to because of the cost of all good sources of OM around here and my lack of extra funds to support this hobby of mine. I'll definitely check to see if any local towns have anything like that and you're correct in stating that exposure to more weeds is the least of my problems.

As far as seeding this fall goes, unless someone chimes in to tell me otherwise I will probably just end up throwing some more PRG around and call it good, at least I know it'll be a green haze in a week.

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by schreibdave » August 19th, 2019, 6:55 pm

Around here the county takes in leaves, grass clippings, brush, etc and composts it. Before i had a pick up i used to rent a uhaul open trailer for the same purpose.

I loved my PR. But it had to go because it couldn't survive our winters here in syracuse.

Bales9er

Post by Bales9er » August 19th, 2019, 7:11 pm

Yeah i ran into that this past winter, had a lot of winter kill and had to re-seed large areas this spring. Really wanted to seed KBG this fall but I feel like its not worth it until i fix the soil