Quinclorac or Glyphosate to remove Crab Grass for Fall Reno.....

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Quinclorac or Glyphosate to remove Crab Grass for Fall Reno.....

Post by northeastlawn » August 22nd, 2019, 10:17 pm

A neighbor wants to do a fall reno with PR. They always had more Crab Grass than actually lawn. So its been a problem for a long time.

They attempted to re-seed with PR in the spring, some of it took, but ultimately there are large sections of CG and some areas that are intermixed with the new PR. As you can guess, a lot of he PR seeded in the spring died from the summer heat.

They would like to seed PR after Labor day. What would be the best way to kill the mature CG?

Should they try some Quinclorac and wait about two weeks, and then attempt a reno, or just use Glyphosate and spray the larger sections. I guess they would have to pull the smaller sections.

I told them they have to break the spring reseeding cycle, so this would be the time to do it, its just all the CG that has me unsure of what to suggest to them. Some of the PR is doing OK and would hold the seed nicely, killing hot all with Glyphosate would be like starting from scratch again.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Quinclorac or Glyphosate to remove Crab Grass for Fall Reno.....

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 23rd, 2019, 2:09 pm

Around here the CG will be brown and dead soon.

Neither? Drop PR, blanket spray Tenacity, let mother nature kill it for you.

This is an overseed not really a renovation. Get a good ore emergent down when its time.

northeastlawn

Post by northeastlawn » August 23rd, 2019, 2:53 pm

There are some really think patches of CG, will putting Tenacity down with the seed take care of the CG enough to give the PR a chance?

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 23rd, 2019, 10:36 pm

No, it doesnt do much to mature CG. You can apply seed a day after applying glyohosate if its dried off. I dont know the details on quinclorac

KBGkicksazz
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by KBGkicksazz » August 29th, 2019, 10:23 pm

Tenacity can definitely kill mature CG.
HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
August 23rd, 2019, 10:36 pm
No, it doesnt do much to mature CG. You can apply seed a day after applying glyohosate if its dried off. I dont know the details on quinclorac

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by TimmyG » August 29th, 2019, 11:39 pm

KBGkicksazz wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 10:23 pm
Interesting. I once wrote "Tenacity is also capable of killing KBG". True words, but not desirable. At the rate Tenacity would need to be used to kill truly mature crabgrass, I can only imagine the damage done to the desirable turf. There's a reason that the Tenacity label states "apply to less than 4 tiller crabgrass".

If you've truly had success in killing mature crabgrass with Tenacity while not damaging your KBG, kudos to you. But with quinclorac being far more efficient, a one-and-done with little risk to the desirable turf, I don't know why anyone would go after crabgrass with Tenacity.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » August 30th, 2019, 9:52 am

I agree. Also note that Quinclorac isn't a fast killer. It browns the crabgrass quickly and stops further growth OK, but it's 3-4 weeks for death of it. I'm already seeing signs that crabgrass is naturally getting more ragged with the shorter days and cooler nights (without herbicides). This trend will continue. It's a balancing act, but with the speed at which PR germinates, you might want to mow it close and get the PR down - with or without Quinclorac. Waiting for crabgrass to die means less time to mature the seedlings before it gets cold.

KBGkicksazz
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by KBGkicksazz » September 1st, 2019, 8:28 am

I even posted my results in the renovation page on killing CG with Tenacity. A single application will kill some of it and stunt the rest of it.

What I’ve found is Tenacity ain’t all that great as a CG preM....
TimmyG wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 11:39 pm
KBGkicksazz wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 10:23 pm
Interesting. I once wrote "Tenacity is also capable of killing KBG". True words, but not desirable. At the rate Tenacity would need to be used to kill truly mature crabgrass, I can only imagine the damage done to the desirable turf. There's a reason that the Tenacity label states "apply to less than 4 tiller crabgrass".

If you've truly had success in killing mature crabgrass with Tenacity while not damaging your KBG, kudos to you. But with quinclorac being far more efficient, a one-and-done with little risk to the desirable turf, I don't know why anyone would go after crabgrass with Tenacity.

northeastlawn

Post by northeastlawn » September 1st, 2019, 6:50 pm

Since the posting, more of the grass from the failed Spring Reno browned and died.

They attempted to pull it out, but even for 2,000sf it was too much.

In the end I just sprayed Glyphosate for them, Ill have them scalp it low, and I think they are going to go for seeding it next weekend.

I have an uncle that seeded on the side iff the road with PR last week, 5 days later he has germination.