2019 TTTF Renovation - 1st Spring Weed Help

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
wilbur
Grass Type: Turf Type Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

2019 TTTF Renovation - 1st Spring Weed Help

Post by wilbur » February 17th, 2020, 1:49 pm

Last summer, I decided it was time to renovate my lawn in Middle TN. It was primarily a mix of violet, wild strawberry, and clover that I jokingly define as Tennessee Meadow Mix. Long story short, I killed it all, scalped, tilled, leveled, and seeded with tall fescue in September 2019. Overall, pretty pleased with the results despite the heat and drought.

I decided to use tenacity for weed control and prevention, and made 4oz/acre applications at seeding and again about 6 weeks later. Once the weather turned colder, I noticed a distinct crop of weeds emerging, and I’m not sure what it is (pics included). Im seeking help to ID it so I can decide on the best approach at this point to A) kill whatever this is, and B) prevent anything else from germinating into March and April. My initial thoughts are to stick with tenacity and potentially mix with something else for broader spectrum control... any advice is appreciated! Also, does anyone have control tips for wild onion?

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: 2019 TTTF Renovation - 1st Spring Weed Help

Post by TimmyG » February 17th, 2020, 2:21 pm

Compare to Veronica hederaefolia (ivy-leaved speedwell).

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » February 17th, 2020, 2:42 pm

Read the "Triangle Approach to Weed Control" for cleaning up a mix of weeds without having to identify each one.

Wild Onions are tough unless there are few enough to just pull them up. They are mostly vertical and very waxy, which often means that no herbicide sticks to them. Use the Search tools and enter Killing Wild Onions.

wilbur
Grass Type: Turf Type Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Post by wilbur » February 17th, 2020, 5:37 pm

TimmyG wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 2:21 pm
Compare to Veronica hederaefolia (ivy-leaved speedwell).
I think you’re spot on @TimmyG- thanks! Hoping to get a jump on weeds now, overseed this fall, and hopefully settle in to maintenance mode.