Can I kill weeds before spring seeding / Overseeding?

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
jrguzmanr
Grass Type: Back: KBG Blend Fron: Contractor's Mix
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Novice

Can I kill weeds before spring seeding / Overseeding?

Post by jrguzmanr » March 27th, 2020, 2:36 pm

I did a backyard reno last fall and I now see how patch where it has been overcome by weeds. What can I use to kill them before I seed? I would like to kill them, mow and bag and then seed. I've read posts about applying drive 75 at seeding, but can I do it a couple of weeks before seeding?

thanks

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Can I kill weeds before spring seeding / Overseeding?

Post by andy10917 » March 27th, 2020, 6:14 pm

Your posting is too vague to be answered. There is no selective herbicide that kills all weeds, including Quinclorac. You'd have to identify what weeds you have, and then check whether Quinclorac (the active ingredient in Drive 75) is labelled to control that weed.

jrguzmanr

Post by jrguzmanr » March 27th, 2020, 7:50 pm

Vague? Somehow, when I wrote my post, I thought weeds are weeds, LOL, although I should've known better. From a few pics I took and searching the Internet it looks like I have chickweed, violets, and dandelions. Pic attached for confirmation.

thank you!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » March 27th, 2020, 8:46 pm

I don't see enough "good stuff" to save. I see chickweed, violets (maybe), dandelions (maybe), various unnamed weeds (definitely) and a half-smoked J in the upper left corner. Save the upper left corner and RU the patch, and you can seed as soon as it's dry (2 hours?). Using multiple herbicides to save what? Seed right over the sprayed weeds (when dry) and the grass will like come up before the green weeds are completely gone.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » March 28th, 2020, 1:18 am

Then there's my approach. Knowing there's KBG in there, I'd hit the weeds, stay on top of the weeds from here on out, get pre-M down, skip the seed, get working on the soil, keep it fed and watered and mowed (mulched) without skipping a beat, and get that lawn in great shape in a year or two. I haven't overseeded once since I started this adventure in 2007, twice starting off with someone else's neglected mutt lawn. Yes, I've seeded bare ground many times in areas that I've regraded (or killed off giant swaths of creeping bentgrass), but I resist overseeding when I know the lawn will fill in on its own. That said, someday, when I get all the other landscaping done, I'll start reno'ing.

jrguzmanr

Post by jrguzmanr » March 28th, 2020, 12:27 pm

For some background, I did a backyard reno last fall, and I made some mistakes. I have a couple of of patches like the pic, that require seeding and some others that require overseeding. Ok, so RU for those two worse patches, but what can I use for the overseeding sections?