Regrading Lawn

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
suffolk_lawn
Grass Type: Bermuda/ TTTF
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Regrading Lawn

Post by suffolk_lawn » April 13th, 2020, 2:10 pm

Planning on finally getting around to redoing the landscaping in the front yard this year. I had a giant pine at the corner of the house taken down last year so right now the lawn is about 60% unknown zoysia that seems to spread about 1" per year, 20% dirt areas that are either too shady or depleted to grow anything, and 20% unknown St. Augustine on the right side of the photo.

My plan is to kill off everything and have someone come out with a harley rake to flatten everything out and give it a proper grade. I would then plug or seed Zoysia (thinking Zeon), let it grow for a year to see how close it wants to get to the trees, then mulch and landscape the areas that are too shady.

I had a guy come out today and quote $650 to Round Up and the regrading (including leveling out a portion of the my gravel driveway that puddles). Looking to get a couple more quotes, is that a reasonable price?

Does anyone have any experience with a project like this that they would care to share? This is a bit beyond my previous TTTF reno's.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: Regrading Lawn

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » May 15th, 2020, 5:28 pm

I suppose $650 sounds good. Get some references from all your possible contractors and call the references. Ask if they would use him again.

What is the most important part of the project? Is it the regrading to level the lawn? Is it getting rid of everything and going to zoysia?

I'm a St Augustine kind of guy. It would be a no-hassle type of grass in that area. It will easily grow right up to the trees as well as walk right through the other grasses growing in the area. All you have to do is fertilize and water the St Augustine. Mow it high and mow everything else low. The St Augustine grows about 15 feet per year and would fill that area in 2 years.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Regrading Lawn

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 17th, 2020, 9:13 am

You want to end up with a smooth surface. A harley rake is more for tearing up surface material, which helps get the material ready to move and rids you of thatch etc.

I'd see if they are going to drag it to finish it. Or you can save some money if you buy one and pull it with your own tractor.