June 1st: Initial Roll Call for the Renovation Class of 2020

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

June 1st: Initial Roll Call for the Renovation Class of 2020

Post by andy10917 » May 30th, 2020, 9:08 am

Well, would you look at that - the calendar is about to flip the page to June already!

June 1st is typically where we ask who is planning to be part of the Class of 2020 Renovators - we're roughly 10 weeks out from the traditional seed-down date for northern lawns, and it's time to start to real planning and gathering of materials. The "I have a dream" period is over and it's time to get dirty, or at least locate the supplies and suppliers.

You'll be surprised how fast the time goes.

Every year, we get Members that wait until August 1st, and then panic that the seed that they wanted to use is hard to find. You need to understand that the grass seed crop "season" starts in September and ends in late August. This means that in-demand cultivars have a strong tendency to become unavailable (sold-out) pretty soon.

So, warnings aside, who's in the Class of 2020 and what do you plan on taking on for your Renovation Project?

If you're getting it together for your 2020 Renovation, you are strongly encouraged to start a personal thread in the Lawn Renovations forum with a title like "ANDY10917's 2020 Renovation" and start telling the story about all the work that will get you ready for Seed-Down date. It's great to see all the detail in one place when you're asking a question in August or September.

PS: this specific topic is NOT a topic to ask questions about Renovation work, or discuss previous Renovations. Postings that don't stay to the area of "I'm in for 2020" will be unceremoniously removed without notice. Put your specific questions/comments in your personal thread...

ClintB
Grass Type: Northern mix fall 2020 reno to elite KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Re: June 1st: Initial Roll Call for the Renovation Class of 2020

Post by ClintB » June 3rd, 2020, 12:00 am

Looking to do my front yard this fall. Goal is super dark, super low, super smooth and very durable (4 kids). Been off the forum for a couple years but trying to catch up. Will be starting a thread for recommendations. Looking forward to the work!

ECUPirate
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by ECUPirate » June 9th, 2020, 8:32 pm

Not sure if this is for warm season peeps or not but I'm doing a 2020 spring/summer reno of my front yard this year. I'll be transforming my yard from a centipede/weed mixture to hopefully a beautiful and lush bermuda yard.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » June 9th, 2020, 9:16 pm

It's for anyone that would like some (virtual) assistance - welcome to the 2020 Renovation crew!

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by schreibdave » June 10th, 2020, 6:15 am

Last year I renovated the front and both sides of the house - maybe 9k sqft. I went from PR to KBG and couldn't be happier. This year will do the back which is about 4K sqft. At the moment I am working on my frankenstein DIY irrigation system for that area which will make things a lot easier.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » June 27th, 2020, 9:43 pm

I don't know. Toying with the idea of renovating the last portion of our lawn which is a northern mix. It was part of our "first" renovation in 2013. It's the section that was part of our "fine fescue thinning" experiment of a couple years ago.

A secondary factor in considering the renovation is that our street was rebuilt this year, resulting in the pavement surface being lifted at least 3-4 inches (and possibly 4-6 inches), so the lawn is now significantly below the street. We may want to raise that section of the lawn to get everything back to the same level again.

However, we're very short on spare time, and we aren't sure that doing a renovation makes the priority queue. It also may just be more work than we are willing to undertake.

I do have more than enough Prosperity and Bewitched seed on-hand that could be used for it, though, so it is even a last-minute option to decide to do it.

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody

Post by schreibdave » June 28th, 2020, 8:57 am

Ken-n-Nancy

Didn't u do a row of Belgium block along the road? Did that get messed up?

gryd
Grass Type: Elite Kentucky Bluegrass

Post by gryd » August 10th, 2020, 12:43 pm

I’m back for one last renovation in my backyard. It’s about 6,000 square feet. I killed it and I’m in the process of scalping it. I’ll start a simple thread for my renovation.

Greg