ClintB fall 2020 Reno Mission Superdark

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
ClintB
Grass Type: Northern mix fall 2020 reno to elite KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

ClintB fall 2020 Reno Mission Superdark

Post by ClintB » June 9th, 2020, 8:29 pm

Hello fellow turf nuts. Looking forward to my 2020 front yard reno that I am calling Mission Superdark. My goal is a front yard only reno to the darkest variety of Kentucky bluegrass (maybe PR) that I can find. This will be my second renovation and I have 3,250 sq ft to seed.

My biggest problem to solve is what seed to go with. I looked at the NTEP and it looks like there hasn’t been any recent kbg tests or maybe The site changes in the last 5 years. I was a bit confused. My prior Reno was a Blueberry, Bewitched, Prosperity muzzled front and a Bewithched only backyard. I preferred the texture consistency of the backyard so I will be going with a monostand and running a fungus prevention program. This will be a high traffic area (4 kids) as well. I will be maintaining with a greensmower at about 7/8 of a inch (or lower if possible) using plant growth regulators.

Please give me recommendations on cultivars to check out keeping in mind my goals. I have been off the forum for a while so trying to find out what the latest and greatest grasses are. Bewitched is my default at this time but Blueberry was pretty awesome too. I don’t have much shade except a small strip on the North side.

Prep

Soil test done and following Andy’s recommendations. Calcium to Magnesium ratio needs more calcium, TEC of 20 means I am bit into the clay, and PH of 7.2 means I will be spraying iron. All in all not to bad though.

About three yards of topsoil down to fill in areas where the pool guys drove a skid steer and left big divots. Need to fill in some more low areas before Reno. I will be planning on leveling with sand after the Reno is done, but trying to get it close with pulverized top soil. Need to do more of this.

Tree removed from middle of front yard. We are full sun now.
Got grass growing in spot so it doesn’t wash out.

Invisible fence for dog installed so I don’t have to tear up Reno later.

Backpack sprayer tuned up. Green mower scheduled to go in for servicing.

Knocked out a ton of honey do projects so I got the time to put in.

Measured water pressure at spigot at 85psi. Going to measure lawn and use graph paper to scale and send in to RainBird to see what kind of system the will design. Wife doesn’t really like this idea, but I watered a Reno with sprinklers before and it was a PITA with a homemade above ground system and timers. I don’t want to do this again. Any advice? Anybody done this before. I don’t was a crazy timed system for the controller. Big fan of deep and infrequent and I like to supplement rain showers to get my good soaking. Trying to do this well but on the cheaper side.

For the Reno I won’t be fallowing but will be using tenacity. I know there is some risk here for more weeds but I plan on spraying Dday -1. Dday plan is to scalp and bag, glyophosate again, seed down, peat moss down, water, and then tenacity application. Looking to reduce time off lawn. If sprinkler system is in, I would like to go a week early morning my up to Aug 7, instead of a typical Aug 15 seed down date. I leave for a week late in August and watering the 1st week or two till I get seedlings seems to be the most critical. My kbg sprouted around days 7-10 last time I did this.

So far a lot done and a long way to go. Moved in the house late February so moving as quick as I can. Hopefully I got the plan close but feel free to chime in with any advice. Thanks!

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: ClintB fall 2020 Reno Mission Superdark

Post by MorpheusPA » June 11th, 2020, 11:55 am

I hate to be the Debbie Downer here, but Superdark might be a bit elusive for a while on new grass and with a pH of 7.2. Just so you aren't disappointed.

Younger grasses simply don't attain best color. They have to mature, grow fully developed roots, and green in. They can be quite nice even the first fall, and will be, but don't plan on Hooker's Green two months in. (https://www.cheapjoes.com/liquitex-heav ... 59-ml.html)

Higher pH, as you already know, does keep one from the best color, but not by very much. And you know how to get around that.

And season changes hue, saturation, and luminosity as well. Winter color, for me, is the bluest blue-green in terms of hue, the most intense saturation, and the darkest in luminosity.
Spring sees it lighten, with the color turning less blue and shifting more toward green. Summer is the lightest, with grasses paler greens, and the greens themselves the least blue (but still with undertones of it). Fall and it starts to darken again, with the blues slowly starting to dominate in October.

ClintB
Grass Type: Northern mix fall 2020 reno to elite KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Re: ClintB fall 2020 Reno Mission Superdark

Post by ClintB » June 11th, 2020, 11:23 pm

Morpheus thanks for chiming in. I just want to get it as dark as I can. Milorganite and foliar iron should help out in getting there.

Been checking out Mazama Kentucky bluegrass and so far I like what I am seeing. Only people I see with it happen to be farther south than WI though.

And yes I agree that is is going to take a full year to start see potential and to get all the area filled in and thick. No worries.