Gr0d's 2020 Midnight Monostand Front Yard Renovation

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
gr0d
Grass Type: Front: Bullseye, Turbo, Cochise IV and Van Gogh TTTF Back: Bewitched, Blueberry, Prosperity KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Gr0d's 2020 Midnight Monostand Front Yard Renovation

Post by gr0d » August 4th, 2020, 9:12 pm

Well, Idecided to do it.

I renovated my front yard about 8 years ago with a blend of 4 types of TTTF. Up until recently, the yard has looked great but a bit thin. I decided that this year would be an overseed year so I installed an irrigation system in the front to aid with the project. I ordered a 50lb bag of midnight to overseed my backyard which is already a KBG stand of bewitched midnight, blueberry and prosperity. I figured that since I had so much midnight I would overseed the front TTTF with some midnight, however that's where the plan changed!

I really like how my backyard KBG stand has the ability to repair itself and the leaf texture so I decided to nuke the TTTF and try out a midnight monostand. I know some folks have done a midnight monostand and are very happy with it.

Soooooo, I plan to nuke and fallow over the next few weeks after vacation and get seed down right around labor day.

I will also be overseeding the backyard at this time too. Needless to say, I love this time of year, temps are begining to drop and grass growing season is getting near. My favorite time of year for sure.

Updates to follow.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Gr0d's 2020 Midnight Monostand Front Yard Renovation

Post by ken-n-nancy » August 10th, 2020, 8:38 pm

Thanks for posting! I'm looking forward to reading about the renovation!

My only encouragement would be to have your seed-down date be as early as possible at this point. Sounds like you're working around a vacation plan, and I understand that -- we've actually gone on vacation the day after seed-down during most of our renovations, which has its pluses and minuses.

Looking forward to those promised updates...