DevilDawg81’s New Lawn - 2020 Version

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: DevilDawg81’s New Lawn - 2020 Version

Post by MorpheusPA » October 15th, 2020, 2:33 pm

Bloody stellar. Speaking of which, don't forget to shower it with the blood of children on Halloween night. Twenty ounces per thousand, watered in well, should do. /snark, which I should hope I don't have to say.

DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by DevilDawg81 » October 15th, 2020, 6:06 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
October 15th, 2020, 2:33 pm
Bloody stellar. Speaking of which, don't forget to shower it with the blood of children on Halloween night. Twenty ounces per thousand, watered in well, should do. /snark, which I should hope I don't have to say.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

stack316
Grass Type: Side: 2014 Bewitched Reno Front: 2013 Faith, Cochise IV, Falcon IV, LS 1200 reno Back 1st half Mutt, Back 2nd Half 3rd Millenium & Rhambler reno
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: DevilDawg81’s New Lawn - Day 45

Post by stack316 » October 16th, 2020, 2:56 pm

[quote=DevilDawg81

No sooner than you mow, Mother Nature blows leaves onto it...

[/quote]

Oh the horror... I wish I had those 🍁 🍃 problem on my renovation
🤪

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » October 16th, 2020, 3:57 pm

I wish I had both your problems. They drop, I get 30 mph winds, they disappear somewhere down the mile hill I live on.

Seriously? Nature, send me leaves. The ones I get are in the lee of the neighbor's fence. That's all.

DevilDawg81

Re: DevilDawg81’s New Lawn - Day 45

Post by DevilDawg81 » October 18th, 2020, 3:47 pm

stack316 wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 2:56 pm
Oh the horror... I wish I had those 🍁 🍃 problem on my renovation
🤪

[/quote]

Haha, stack you certainly win. I’ll stop complaining. Morph I’ll try to send you some ;)

DevilDawg81

Re: DevilDawg81’s New Lawn - BLSC and Mow

Post by DevilDawg81 » October 18th, 2020, 8:55 pm

It is Day 48 and I had identified some spots I suspected compacted soil. I did not have any Soil Conditioner products on hand, so I ordered them but they were delayed. Got the Yucca extract yesterday and Today I mixed up a gallon of Best Lawn Soil Conditioner and applied. Looking back I should have noticed that sooner/had materials on hand. Lesson learned. I also mowed the reno. I mowed it just a few days ago, but today it took off that nice 1/3 or less. Today I cleaned off the mower, scraped the deck clean, and replaced the blades prior to cutting. I haven’t replaced the blades since I’ve had the Honda so it was time. Things are looking good. My next door neighbor planted about 20k of TTTF this morning. I actually went over and helped him lay straw down. You’ll see it in the pics below...

A look from the front towards the back...

The lighter spots in front of the mower I hit with BLSC, hoping I can get an additional treatment in to help this grass took root...

Here is from the side looking towards the front (aka next years renovation project)...

The front side looking towards the NW, you’ll notice the light colored straw that my neighbor just put down (~20k of TTTF)....

DevilDawg81

Re: DevilDawg81’s New Lawn - Day 55 Equipment Cleared

Post by DevilDawg81 » October 25th, 2020, 6:26 pm

Today is Day 55. We’ve gotten on and off rain all week. I haven’t watered the reno with my own well system for weeks. I was leaving everything out just in case we got a week of high temps and no rain. (Last year we had 90s in October).

Today I went out and rolled up all the hoses, collected all of the sprinkler sets, etc. This coming week looks dreary. I mowed a couple days ago and had to raise the deck as I was leaving a lot of grass behind. We got a lot of rain which didn’t allow me to get out and mow it, along with my spoon feeding of urea...the grass was taller.

No grass pics today, I’ll save those for my next mowing.

Found this guy when I was collecting the equipment up:

I’ll clean these up and get them ready for next year over winter:

I had more hoses but had already stowed them away:

DevilDawg81

Re: DevilDawg81’s New Lawn - 2020 Version Day 57 Mow

Post by DevilDawg81 » October 27th, 2020, 3:19 pm

Today I got out and mowed. With all the equipment gone I’m able to mow into the older section and merge it all into one large section.

DevilDawg81

Re: DevilDawg81’s New Lawn - Day 61 Aerial Picture

Post by DevilDawg81 » November 1st, 2020, 12:54 pm

Yesterday was Day 61. It was a picture perfect fall day. I got the drone out and snapped the pic below before sunset. I meant to get more on the ground but ran out of time.

I did spray another round of BLSC after I mowed yesterday. It is extremely windy today. We had a good frost yesterday morning.

DevilDawg81

Post by DevilDawg81 » November 8th, 2020, 10:27 pm

Unseasonably warm weather has been around most of this week and will be for the next couple of days. The high has been mid to upper 70s. No rain. Today I took out a sprinkler and ran water all afternoon. Growth has slowed but I have been mowing to keep leaves off and take off at or less than 1/3 each time. I’m already dreaming of next year 😎. We’ve had several mornings with frost and I have not fertilized for quite some time. I still have some spots that are yellow where I’m suspecting compacted soil. I’ve treated with BLSC twice.

I am still push mowing. I could take the tractor on it but I like being able to walk over every square foot of it inspecting along the way. This new section and last years section takes a little over an hour altogether.

DevilDawg81

Re: DevilDawg81’s New Lawn - Experiment on the Riding Mower

Post by DevilDawg81 » November 10th, 2020, 2:20 pm

So this afternoon I was out mulching leaves on my riding mower. I had some time to spare and thought what it would look like if I raised the blade up just to take a whisker off of what I mowed Sunday.

Typically I have been keeping the riding mower off of the reno until the following spring. This one is a large one (13k) and I can walk it in a little under an hour. I went against my own plan and mowed a row, then another. I didn’t turn on the reno, rather drive off the edge and then turn. I was really happy with the result. Plus it was such an enjoyable day (mid 70s in November in Central Ohio...rare)

Here’s a pic I snapped mid mow...

DevilDawg81

Re: DevilDawg81’s New Lawn - Day 81

Post by DevilDawg81 » November 20th, 2020, 5:27 pm

Mowing has slowed as we dip further into fall. Today was 61 degrees, so I got out to enjoy the afternoon and trim up the grass. Most of the leaves are off the trees, so anything on the ground simply gets mulched up. I’m pleased with how things turned out, and I’m looking forward to the Spring.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 20th, 2020, 5:33 pm

It looks fantastic, and about in the same state as mine is at the moment--slowed growth, not quite done yet, but hard to tell the difference between "done" and "not quite done yet."

(I'm at the moment between being not sure about dropping the last fert and just dropping the thing and having done with it. That'll probably be next week before temperatures drop because I hate doing that in 30 degrees).

DevilDawg81

Post by DevilDawg81 » November 21st, 2020, 8:08 pm

Thanks Morph, that sums it quite well. Slowed but not done yet. Last year my final mow was December 2nd.