Correct steps for lawn reno when dealing with triv?

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Correct steps for lawn reno when dealing with triv?

Post by southern-ct-4 » September 2nd, 2020, 10:02 am

Are the below the correct steps and approx timing for a renovation (I found this in another post and it was along the lines of what I was thinking, but I want to make sure nothing is missing). Or if there's a better post somewhere that someone can point me to please let me know.

Please note that I have poa triv issues so that may affect the steps below, and I welcome any advice on that.

I'm looking to renovate about 10 sq ft of a partly sunny/partly shaded back and side yard.

7/30: Glyphosate blanket app #1
8/5: Scalp mow and bag #1
8/7: Glyphosate blanket app #2
8/12: Scalp mow and bag #2
8/14: Glyphosate spot spray
8/15: Top Dress with top soil to level/fill low spots
8/16: Seed Down (possibly roll), Tenacity or Scott's Starter w/ Tenacity, top dress w/ 0.25" peat

Given my triv issues, do you recommend spraying tenacity vs. scotts starter with tenacity?

And do you think I should add a step (either before glypho 1 or between glypho 1 and 2) where I fertilize/water and possibly even aerate/detchatch/something (to purposely bring up bad seed, get it to start growing, and then kill it off? Or just leave whatever is under the surface alone?

If I can't quash the triv then this will all be moot so I want to do the best job I can in killing it off/preventing it.

Thanks!

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Re: Correct steps for lawn reno when dealing with triv?

Post by northeastlawn » September 2nd, 2020, 10:23 am

Triv is a real nightmare to deal with. If you do have it aerating and dethatching will just spread it as it spreads by staloons that creep along the ground, every time you cut one it’s now in a new spot.

The triv also goes dormant in summer, so even if you spray it with glyphosate it’s not doing anything.

Ideally you needed to hit the triv in may and June to kill it.

People that have better luck with controlling triv have 100% kbg and will kill it in may and then have the kbg spread .

Lastly tenacity isn’t made for wiping out triv, it only hurts it, and it will come back.

They’re is something called POACURE just released for golf courses that seems to o troll triv, that is said to deal with it, but that could be many years away if we get it at all.

stack316
Grass Type: Side: 2014 Bewitched Reno Front: 2013 Faith, Cochise IV, Falcon IV, LS 1200 reno Back 1st half Mutt, Back 2nd Half 3rd Millenium & Rhambler reno
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by stack316 » September 2nd, 2020, 10:38 am

I’m not a big fan of adding top soil as generally a lot of unwanted seeds (weeds) are usually present. For me I would get the unknown soil down after the 1st scalping. Fallow. And try to get any weed seeds to grow (hopefully there is none) but I have never been that lucky. And then plan glyphosate a couple weeks later. I imagine spraying tenacity if done correctly would have better coverage than spreading the Scotts product mentioned

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » September 2nd, 2020, 3:32 pm

Thank you for the info/tips. I'll have to continue thinking this over. I did kill off a few decent size pieces (500 sq ft here, 500 sq ft there) this spring, and it remained dead all summer, but I am starting to see some triv (I think) start to grow in those spots.

Related to my other post on fallowing, if I kil lit in may/june, and water a lot during the summer, would that stop it from going dormant so that I could continue to spray anything that pops-up? Then, hopefully, but the late summer it would be fully (ha-ha) under control?

jskierko
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by jskierko » September 2nd, 2020, 3:45 pm

stack316 wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 10:38 am
I’m not a big fan of adding top soil as generally a lot of unwanted seeds (weeds) are usually present. For me I would get the unknown soil down after the 1st scalping. Fallow. And try to get any weed seeds to grow (hopefully there is none) but I have never been that lucky. And then plan glyphosate a couple weeks later.
This is phenomenal advice. I believe your timeline is from my reno page. And what stack mentioned has been (only 3 weeks in) the biggest problem I have faced on the reno so far. I did bring in topsoil and leveled within a few days of seeddown. I really should have fallowed those areas, as the topsoil was loaded with weed seeds. At the 2 week mark it was obvious the exact areas where I had added topsoil. To add to that, I believe my germination was better in areas with dead grass stubble compared to bare areas.
Wish I would have laid that soil out a few weeks before seeding.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » September 2nd, 2020, 4:58 pm

Thanks for the info on the top soil. If I do add it I'll make sure to fallow it for a while.