Opinion on next Reno step

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
reggie517
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Opinion on next Reno step

Post by reggie517 » September 12th, 2020, 6:00 pm

So I put down some Hogan’s blend 80/20 TTTF/KBG over two weeks ago. The TTTF has come in good but I have some spots that didn’t take well. I am going to give it another week as it will three weeks for KBG seed after this week so I am hoping to get some more germination once the three week point hits.

I was wondering should I toss down some more TTTF on the bare spots in Sept and try to get it terminated before the cooler weather hits?

I was also thinking about trying to do some dormant seeding as it will be late sept if I try to overseed before the cold weather.

What are people’s thoughts. I have attached some pics of the areas I am talking about.

I am in southern NH. I also applied Scott’s Starter with meso last week.

I appreciate any input.
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/fkdg3YTL/0-C8-B072 ... 35-BE9.jpg[/img][/url]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/FfnnSZLf/79234-AFA ... 0484-D.jpg[/img][/url]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsjV1dsR/A348-CA22 ... 845-DA.jpg[/img][/url]

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Opinion on next Reno step

Post by MorpheusPA » September 12th, 2020, 7:36 pm

reggie517 wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 6:00 pm
I am in southern NH.
You are running out of time fast. :-) Check the areas and make sure you don't have a lot more sprouting than you think. Sometimes, things are just really slow.

If you're sure, seed now at...half rate? A bit more? This happens to all of us, and personally, I think the reno looks great so far. My lower-sprout areas looked worse and it all came out great in the end.

reggie517

Post by reggie517 » September 12th, 2020, 7:46 pm

Yeah I still see seeds in those spots so I am hoping it is the KBG waiting to sprout as I hasn’t been three weeks yet. I have some seed left over I might toss it down and then toss some compost on it to help the germination as I didn’t use any on the first overseed.

s3_buell_
Grass Type: TTTF, KBG
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by s3_buell_ » September 12th, 2020, 8:07 pm

I think the fescue is doing fine for 3 weeks. I think I see very tiny blades in some areas in the pics, so I agree with MorpheusPA to check in detail. Could be lagging fescue or your KBG. Squat down low.

Whether or not you add more seed, be consistent in keeping the seed moist. My opinion is that good top dressing, and watering as many times a day as you can, even for very short periods like 4 minutes is important for germination rate. My current timer only allows 3 times a day, but years ago I had one that allowed 6 up to times a day and I used all six. Then really review the soil just before each water cycle and adjust the time of day or the water period so that the surface is 95% still moist around the clock.

reggie517

Post by reggie517 » September 12th, 2020, 9:02 pm

I have mine being watered 4 times a day for 5 mins and some sections an additional two times because they get more sun. I have also noticed some green moss and some white fungus on some of the bare spots so I have cut back a little on the water