Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
Gasman
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Large poa annua patch

Post by Gasman » September 29th, 2020, 9:04 am

I’m renovating my crappy lawn. There is a large ( maybe
1000 sq ft) patch of solid poa I imported from the golf course and ignored for years.
When I kill it I’ll be left with a dense thatch of dead poa. It comes up in heavy sheets.
Is there an alternative to stripping this sheet of dead poa?
It’ll be a pain, generates a lot of waste, remove some of the top soil. I’d love to not have to do that .
alternatives anyone?
If I leave it I can’t surface spread seed. I’ll have to slice it or something.
Zone 4b rochester , ny

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Large poa annua patch

Post by andy10917 » September 29th, 2020, 11:58 am

Is Rochester really Zone 4B ??? Maybe 5 years at Geneseo is the reason I don't get cold like I used to...

Back to the grass question - which "Poa" are you discussing? Typically around here, we speak of "Poa Annua" and "Poa Trivialis" ("Triv"). The answers to your questions will vary dependent on which one you're talking about...

Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by Masbustelo » September 29th, 2020, 10:33 pm

I recently sowed KBG into dead Poa Trivialis thatch/stubble some of it was like a mat. Where I removed it I got much better germination. It is too soon to tell if I got adequate germination in the mats. The seedlings are far behind in those areas. I am currently redoing another 8,000 sq. ft area. My plan is to use an aerator and then seed on top of the plugs etc. This is usually not recommended on this site, the idea being that it causes weed seeds to germinate and that you might spread the trivialis. In my case I had trivialis in every inch of the yard, so I don't have to worry about spreading it. I you are in 4b, you are very late in the year for seeding. If you only have 1k of trivialis rubbish, it can be raked up in a relatively short period of time.

PALawnGuy5
Grass Type: Fescue, KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by PALawnGuy5 » May 9th, 2021, 9:05 pm

Masbustelo wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 10:33 pm
I recently sowed KBG into dead Poa Trivialis thatch/stubble some of it was like a mat. Where I removed it I got much better germination. It is too soon to tell if I got adequate germination in the mats. The seedlings are far behind in those areas. I am currently redoing another 8,000 sq. ft area. My plan is to use an aerator and then seed on top of the plugs etc. This is usually not recommended on this site, the idea being that it causes weed seeds to germinate and that you might spread the trivialis. In my case I had trivialis in every inch of the yard, so I don't have to worry about spreading it. I you are in 4b, you are very late in the year for seeding. If you only have 1k of trivialis rubbish, it can be raked up in a relatively short period of time.
The triv in my yard spread from a core aeration the year i bought my house and was talked into the process before i know anything about lawns.

Not only did the company aerate and overseed, they trimmed the shrubs/bushes and raked the yard after, so those plugs went everywhere.