Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
njdangelo
Grass Type: Blue Grass, Red Fescue, Perennial Rye/others
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Going from Brush To Grass

Post by njdangelo » March 27th, 2021, 7:12 am

Hello All,
New member and first time poster here so go easy on me lol! I am very excited to have found this forum and have learned so much already over the past few months by perusing old threads so thank you all already for the knowledge.
I moved into my house a few years ago and the lawn/land had been neglected by the previous owner.It's about 1.2 acres of mowable grass plus an additional acre and a half of woods. I have made some serious progress in getting it all stable and healthy again which has allowed me to start to tackle some of the more involved jobs. I have a few areas that are filled with brush that I would like to soil/seed this upcoming fall and am curious what you guys recommend to stop the brush from returning and growing through the grass again. I have clear cut it in spring for the past 2 years but it makes no difference and within 2 months it's back to its full glory. I had a professional landscaper come out to quote the job for me last season but he wanted to spray the whole area with round up. I have pets and well water and am not comfortable using a round up product on my land. Have any of you tackled a project like this before? My thoughts were to rent a skid steer and scalp and remove the top of the soil then add a few tons of new topsoil and reseed but as I mentioned I'm worried the brush will come back.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pics below of the area in question. It is just starting to warm up here in CT so it doesn't look to bad in the pics but it grows in really really thick.
Thanks,
Nick

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Going from Brush To Grass

Post by andy10917 » March 27th, 2021, 10:41 am

That's quite the challenge, and it won't be solved quickly. The biggest question is one that you have to ask yourself (not us): do you have the patience and commitment to tough out a 2-3 year war to win this area? It's a rather cool project, but there will be many days where you feel like you're losing the battle...

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by edslawn » March 27th, 2021, 11:41 am

@njdangelo Welcome to the forum! :yahoo:

I have a similar setup to you... 2+ acres with 1+ grass and wooded areas. For mine, I have used wood chips for much of my wooded areas and focused on getting my soil chemistry right in the grass areas. This makes it better/less messy for the dogs and I can slowly extend the grass in targeted areas.

Good luck with your project!

Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by Masbustelo » March 27th, 2021, 2:08 pm

Where the brambles etc. are, if that is where you want to grow grass: I would grub the roots out now with a mattock. Rake and fill the area level.https://www.menards.com/main/tools/hand ... 823&ipos=1. Think of it as the modern man's adze. Then I would begin to mow it (now and this summer) with your mower whenever you cut the grass. By mowing the shoots low and frequently you will win the battle.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » March 27th, 2021, 10:52 pm

And now, for an alternate proposal...

I do not believe in replacing soil. If grass grows in your area, it can grow in your yard(s). If you need to replace it, it's because YOU (or a very recent owner screwed it up. Period.

I'd let green growth happen on your brambles, and kill it with Triclopyr (often sold as Poison Ivy and Brush Killer". It's the same Triclopyr as the stuff for the lawn, applied at twice the strength. This kills it without damaging/"flipping" the soil. Digging the roots often actually flips the subsoil, requiring the replacement of the topsoil. Duh. Triclopyr will not make it to your well water.

Roundup will not work. Roundup requires green material, and you won't have it and won't have it if you keep mowing. It is a waste of your money. Triclopyr will not work with one application - go again and again until you outlast the plants.

njdangelo
Grass Type: Blue Grass, Red Fescue, Perennial Rye/others
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by njdangelo » March 28th, 2021, 7:20 am

Thank you all for all the replies! I understand its going to be an undertaking and I am prepared for the battle. I am new to most of this but i have learned one thing with grass/lawns so far and it's that most things take atleast 2 seasons to get going in the right direction. Before I moved in there was a GIANT oak tree in that area (or atleast the 38" stump in the ground leads me to believe so). I think when this was removed the area went from lawn to brush. It sits in the an area surrounded by other grass so I am sure the soil is fine as well. Based on your suggestions i am going to try a 2 step approach. Firstly I will cut everything low and keep cutting it all season. I will also trim the brambles down and spray them with poison ivy once they get their green grow as recommended by @andy10917. Come fall I will grind down the small stumps, till the soil, and level with additional top soil as needed before seeding the heck out of it! I might even make this war a little easier and just lay sod instead of starting with seed. I'll be sure to update this post with results or further questions! Thanks again for all you help!
Nick