Common Sense isnt so common

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
appalachianturf
Grass Type: kentucky bluegrass
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Common Sense isnt so common

Post by appalachianturf » August 12th, 2010, 10:49 am

Customer calls and says I have 1/3 rd of an acre that is kindy bumpy from all the stumps that are now gone they are kinda squishy in the center and I get shade most all day so I want you to put me in a grass that is thick,green and lush that outcompetes all weeds year round. I dont want to fertilize and I want it lush like a golf course. My budget is $250 thats it! When can you start it? :rotfl:

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Common Sense isnt so common

Post by MorpheusPA » August 12th, 2010, 10:54 am

... ... ...

Oy vey.

What did you even suggest? K31 and a course of Valium for the owner?

appalachianturf

Post by appalachianturf » August 12th, 2010, 11:01 am

MorpheusPA wrote:... ... ...

Oy vey.

What did you even suggest? K31 and a course of Valium for the owner?
Im just AMAZED and how people who actually are smart enough to be hired and aquire a nice income and a nice home do not get the basics. I respect a homeowner that does things themselves at least they see what it entails to have a lawn. I have found its better to walk away than to be questioned once things fail if they arent willing to let you do it right from the beginning.I suggested that if he finds that grass contact me immediately.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » August 12th, 2010, 11:10 am

Easy.

See the "All-Crabgrass Lawn" thread. Just mow the next-door property that is seeding Crabgrass right now and dump the clippings on the soil. Set watering to shallow, 3X a day. Take the $250 and run.

Remember, it's not a Weed if you're TRYING to grow it...

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » August 12th, 2010, 11:17 am

Eh, can't blame them, I suppose. My father, quite a bright individual, always tried to find the Magical Grass that would flourish in an oak grove. Of course, he never did. But that wasn't his area of education, and it was long enough before places like this became common that there was no easy way to get that information.

My own areas of education, formal and self, are languages and literature, mythology, astronomy and astrophysics, physics, chemistry, and biology. Give me a mechanical problem like a simple spark plug and it's going to take me a while. Give me anything more complicated and I call an expert.

On the up side, I don't question the expert when he tells me it's beyond hope...

However, if he does find that grass, I wish to hear about it immediately myself... :-)

appalachianturf

Post by appalachianturf » August 12th, 2010, 11:19 am

Oh but when it looks like poo my name is attactched to it so that $250 isnt worth it. I watched the county hire a crew to pour curbs and asphalt a drive, they then filled in the voids with topsoil and strawed it. THICKEST lime green ugly stand of crabgrass one can imagine ... I will give it to them though its uniformed crabgrass :blackeye:

appalachianturf

Post by appalachianturf » August 12th, 2010, 11:22 am

I agree Morph a smart professor once said there are 16 types of intelligence, so If you have at least one count yourself fortunate. I had a friend once that was in all the LD classes, he came across as a Jethro however he could tear down an engine and rebuild it after being shown just once.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » August 12th, 2010, 11:30 am

Oh but when it looks like poo my name is attactched to it so that $250 isnt worth it.
Absolutely utterly agreed. You have a name to protect, and that sure isn't going to help!
I had a friend once that was in all the LD classes, he came across as a Jethro however he could tear down an engine and rebuild it after being shown just once.
Ditto--I think we all know somebody who wasn't good at academics but was a wizard at mechanical things. I tend to be exactly the opposite.

I've been called extremely graceful, but it's a learned response. I have poor kinesthetic sense, so I have to monitor where my hands and feet are at all times lest I turn into the proverbial bull in the china shop. Any dancer comes by it naturally.

http://skyview.vansd.org/lschmidt/Proje ... igence.htm

Of these, I have four in various amounts, the rest I'm pretty dense on.

Bestlawn

Post by Bestlawn » August 12th, 2010, 12:30 pm

Aw, give the guy a break. IQ is only what you know at a given time, with little regard for what you are capable of learning or how much of it you retain. Once he learns all that it entails, he will be intelligent of the cost involved.

I'm curious to know how the conversation ended.

appalachianturf

Post by appalachianturf » August 12th, 2010, 12:49 pm

Bestlawn wrote:Aw, give the guy a break. IQ is only what you know at a given time, with little regard for what you are capable of learning or how much of it you retain. Once he learns all that it entails, he will be intelligent of the cost involved.

I'm curious to know how the conversation ended.
Oh but I wish this was true, this isnt our first encounter. We have had endless conversations of why he absolutely must prune those tree limbs higher than 4ft and it really needs soil ( he wants to grow grass in rocks!). I told him that I needed to create an environment more conducive to turfgrass than nimblwill,ferns and azaleas. The part of once its planted I dont want any maintenance except mowing is where he lost me. I even considered some hard,sheep,and chewing fescues as I have used on berms and roughs. Educating on the fact that you still will have a few weeds no matter how thick it is and it wont do well in old stump holes seems to be a mental block for him.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » August 12th, 2010, 3:24 pm

The hard, chewings and sheep fescue might work in terms of a lawn that won't require much fertilizer or water, but I'd be concerned about how it would do in the heat.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » August 12th, 2010, 4:38 pm

appalachianturf wrote:Oh but I wish this was true, this isnt our first encounter. We have had endless conversations of why he absolutely must prune those tree limbs higher than 4ft
I did that on one tree. I was getting very tired of whacking my head on the branches every time I passed underneath the thing! Up to the six foot level it went, about four inches above my head.

That's bad? I was very careful to remove limited mass at a time...and the tree is healing beautifully. And growing fast.

Bestlawn

Post by Bestlawn » August 12th, 2010, 8:04 pm

appalachianturf wrote:Oh but I wish this was true, this isnt our first encounter. We have had endless conversations of why he absolutely must prune those tree limbs higher than 4ft and it really needs soil ( he wants to grow grass in rocks!). I told him that I needed to create an environment more conducive to turfgrass than nimblwill,ferns and azaleas. The part of once its planted I dont want any maintenance except mowing is where he lost me. I even considered some hard,sheep,and chewing fescues as I have used on berms and roughs. Educating on the fact that you still will have a few weeds no matter how thick it is and it wont do well in old stump holes seems to be a mental block for him.
See there. That's what I get for having hope. Some people never listen.

I guess I should have known better. Once had a next door neighbor who was a certified mechanic. He'd take things apart to fix them, and there'd be parts on the ground when he finished. Asked what those were, his answer "ahh, it doesn't need all that stuff." :worried:

Unbelievable