Level: Advanced

Re: DevilDawg’s New Lawn - Spring 2021

Post by MorpheusPA » June 10th, 2021, 1:33 pm

DevilDawg81 wrote:
June 10th, 2021, 6:58 am
MorpheusPA wrote:
June 9th, 2021, 8:34 pm
Is your wedding ring titanium?

(I ask because mine's tungsten carbide).
Haha it’s tungsten as well!
Don't you love those? I've outsized from one so far (I used to be a ring size 6, swelling knuckles from age now make me just about an 8), and it was cheaper to replace than resize. At that point, I also added five more as alternate styles and simply display the original.

You can't beat scratchless, buffless, never needs shining. But a friend of mine did shatter his.

DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: DevilDawg’s New Lawn - Day 42

Post by DevilDawg81 » June 10th, 2021, 7:55 pm

edslawn wrote:
June 10th, 2021, 8:21 am
Wow... very nice! Looks great.

Thanks Ed! Now to get it through a hot summer and into fall!

DevilDawg81

Post by DevilDawg81 » June 10th, 2021, 7:58 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
June 10th, 2021, 1:33 pm
DevilDawg81 wrote:
June 10th, 2021, 6:58 am
MorpheusPA wrote:
June 9th, 2021, 8:34 pm
Is your wedding ring titanium?

(I ask because mine's tungsten carbide).
Haha it’s tungsten as well!
Don't you love those? I've outsized from one so far (I used to be a ring size 6, swelling knuckles from age now make me just about an 8), and it was cheaper to replace than resize. At that point, I also added five more as alternate styles and simply display the original.

You can't beat scratchless, buffless, never needs shining. But a friend of mine did shatter his.
They are really nice. I bought mine for $60 on Overstock before our wedding. Really like the look and it is almost indestructible! I’ve heard of them shattering. I use mine as a beer opener at parties when folks are looking for an opener :rotfl:

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by MorpheusPA » June 10th, 2021, 9:52 pm

I hate to say it, but I found several for less than $5 on AliExpress. You really can't tell as I've seen identical rings for $200. Since I'm a pretty perfect 8 at this point, I'm also an easy fit. :-)

I haven't tried the beer opener trick, but I'll have to...

DevilDawg81

Re: DevilDawg’s New Lawn - Day 48

Post by DevilDawg81 » June 16th, 2021, 9:09 pm

No major changes just backed off the watering. I ran the sprinklers today but I’m gonna leave them off tomorrow. Rain moves in this weekend

DevilDawg81

Re: DevilDawg’s New Lawn - Day 42

Post by DevilDawg81 » June 20th, 2021, 9:22 pm

edslawn wrote:
June 10th, 2021, 8:21 am
DevilDawg81 wrote:
June 9th, 2021, 8:20 pm
We’re getting lots of rain. Very tropical like pattern right now. As windows of opportunity open to mow I race outside. I have unhooked all the sprinklers as we are expected to get 5”+ of rain over the next five days. I actually rode the riding tractor across the area today, being careful to go past and turn off the ends. I generally push mow it for several weeks but time was of the essence.

I picked up a reel mower this afternoon for a whopping $10 so I couldn’t pass it up. I may try to use it once I get the blades sharpened.

The new area is thickening up. There’s weed pressure on the perimeter but nothing like I faced last year in the smaller spring reno. I did get a better kill and scalp on this larger one, and I sprayed Tenacity.

Anyways…some pictures!
Wow... very nice! Looks great.

Thanks Ed!

DevilDawg81

Post by DevilDawg81 » June 26th, 2021, 10:47 am

Recently I purchased an eXmark with a 60” deck. It has been a total game changer for me as far as time savings. I’ve used it on the new grass a few times. Today I mowed it and got the hoses and sprinklers all reconnected as we’ve hit some dry weather. This is probably the biggest challenge in trying to get it to survive the heat and into fall.

DevilDawg81

Post by DevilDawg81 » July 10th, 2021, 9:12 pm

This afternoon was a cool 75 and an overall great day for July in Central Ohio. Both of my honeybee hives were very active this afternoon and before I shut everything down outside I took my drone out to get a pic of the new section of lawn.

As of this afternoon…

This is a shot from last fall. The reno I’m currently working on is off to the left where the fire pit is:

DevilDawg81

Re: DevilDawg’s New Lawn - Day 63

Post by DevilDawg81 » July 11th, 2021, 7:46 pm

Ran the sprinklers yesterday and this morning. Today we received over 1” of rain. I’ll leave the sprinklers off for a few days now. I’ve gotten lots of weedy grasses popping now. My focus is on getting the grass through the heat. This week is projected to be mid 80s all week with pop ups every afternoon (typical summer weather here). I failed to mention I did cut the area Friday afternoon at an HOC of 3.75”

DevilDawg81

Post by DevilDawg81 » August 8th, 2021, 7:57 pm

Temps are in the 90s and will be all week. I’m behind on my posts, I sprayed quinclorac on 7/25. We have been getting decent rain each week, so it’s touch and go with the sprinklers. As of me typing this they are connected and set to run tomorrow morning.

I’m thinking of hitting the area next weekend with a mild dose of Milorganite, is this a bad idea? By mild I mean this area is 10k, instead of going full bag rate I thought about 1/2 bag rate. My intentions are to utilize the non-aggressive fall nitrogen regimens in the coming months. August/September are still pretty hot here.

I have 7200 sq ft that bumps up to this area that I’m focusing on for this fall (new thread to come).

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » August 8th, 2021, 8:46 pm

’m thinking of hitting the area next weekend with a mild dose of Milorganite, is this a bad idea?
No! It's perfect timing! I have a name for everything that I manage, and applying Milorganite on/soon after August 15th is called "the wake-up call". It gently moves the lawn from the dormant period to the active Fall period. Then around Labor Day we move into the busy period, without a jolt. It really works well.
August/September are still pretty hot here.
Poppycock! I've lived in Columbus, and it is nothing out of the ordinary when climate is considered. Warm days and cooler evenings. Soil temperatures begin falling in very late August as the days shorten and the angle of the sun declines. Statistics back that up.

DevilDawg81

Post by DevilDawg81 » August 8th, 2021, 9:11 pm

andy10917 wrote:
August 8th, 2021, 8:46 pm
’m thinking of hitting the area next weekend with a mild dose of Milorganite, is this a bad idea?
No! It's perfect timing! I have a name for everything that I manage, and applying Milorganite on/soon after August 15th is called "the wake-up call". It gently moves the lawn from the dormant period to the active Fall period. Then around Labor Day we move into the busy period, without a jolt. It really works well.
August/September are still pretty hot here.
Poppycock! I've lived in Columbus, and it is nothing out of the ordinary when climate is considered. Warm days and cooler evenings. Soil temperatures begin falling in very late August as the days shorten and the angle of the sun declines. Statistics back that up.
Haha, yes sir…the wake up call, it’s time to get off your duff and get to work! Okay this is good to go, thanks Andy! You’re right the evenings are cooler late August…I’ve been trying to baby this reno thru the summer and I’m almost there. I’m gunshy as once I start my fall patch I’ll be pulling all my sprinklers off to focus on the new area.

DevilDawg81

Post by DevilDawg81 » August 15th, 2021, 7:29 pm

I mowed at 3 3/4” HOC earlier this weekend. Dropped a mild dose of Milorganite this afternoon. I’m anxious to get into the fall and really see this reno shine

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by MorpheusPA » August 15th, 2021, 9:07 pm

I knocked mine with soy a bit early (closer to August first) since it takes forever to process down, particularly in dry weather. Figure I'll see it release around August 21st, just about the right time, depending on the weather (we're getting on again, off again rainfall. Right now it's off again). Milo's faster, so your drop this weekend is comparable to mine.

My next drop is early September. Then October, and that's it for the organics. I drop synthetics in November.

DevilDawg81

Post by DevilDawg81 » August 16th, 2021, 8:41 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
August 15th, 2021, 9:07 pm
I knocked mine with soy a bit early (closer to August first) since it takes forever to process down, particularly in dry weather. Figure I'll see it release around August 21st, just about the right time, depending on the weather (we're getting on again, off again rainfall. Right now it's off again). Milo's faster, so your drop this weekend is comparable to mine.

My next drop is early September. Then October, and that's it for the organics. I drop synthetics in November.
Thanks Morph, I will follow a similar schedule. I’m gonna be starting another area soon, if Mother Nature gives us a few dry days