Bazil’s 2022 Lawn Renovation

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
bazilbrush
Grass Type: Dead
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Bazil’s 2022 Lawn Renovation

Post by bazilbrush » October 8th, 2021, 3:14 pm

Help needed please. In some of the areas that have been struggling (front yard, where I get runoff during storms) I have noticed some seedlings sprouting and then yellowing/ dying instead of maintaining that young vibrant green color. I have attached a couple of pics. Any idea what is going wrong in these areas?

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » October 8th, 2021, 7:31 pm

How wet is that soil? If you take a pinch and sniff it (no, seriously), does it smell like fresh earth or is there a nastier scent to it?

Even if not, there's something called damp-off fungus which can kill a young sprout very quickly; I've lost entire flats to it in hours and yes, it hits grass sprouts, too. Particularly in very wet soils.

bazilbrush

Post by bazilbrush » October 9th, 2021, 2:46 pm

The soil tends to be pretty wet in those areas, though there are other parts of the lawn that are wetter. The soil doesn’t smell funny though.

bazilbrush

Post by bazilbrush » October 9th, 2021, 5:29 pm

The run off part has got me thinking. These areas are where water from the block stone driveway gathers and washes over the lawn (the stone doesn’t drain fast enough in a fast downpour). I wonder if there could have been some chemicals on the stone that then washed over the seed and killed it? I do treat the stone areas with regular glypho to surprise weeds but I thought that stuff breaks down quickly once it hits the ground.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » October 9th, 2021, 10:34 pm

Glyphosate binds almost instantly, so that's unlikely. There can be a little root action (I've seen a tad when applied right before a heavy thunderstorm I didn't know was coming), but not that much.

Water flow, huh? Wash out is also a possibility, then. Roots really don't like disturbance until establishment. If this is bluegrass, it's not going to be too much of a problem--just a few sprouts per square foot will have no trouble growing into a thick, lush lawn. Even if you lose the whole area, don't give up. Start some pots of grass late in winter/early in spring, and plant them in April when the weather turns to kind of nice (frosts are not a problem). Plant those in those areas and let them spread. Transplant invading grass that moves into gardens and edges into that area.

That's what I'm doing along my front line that I'm currently repairing.

bazilbrush

Post by bazilbrush » October 30th, 2021, 5:35 pm

The bald areas at the front where I reseeded in early October are filling in a little better. It is really unclear what was going on there. Perhaps it was as simple as the seed all washing away before.

The back lawn is looking OK too, though nobody is mistaking this for turf any time soon. It is thin is areas, full of weeds and very uneven. This KBG really needs to be a miracle grass of this is going to fill in, but we will see next year.

Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by Masbustelo » October 30th, 2021, 8:11 pm

KBG really is a miracle grass as far as spreading and filling in. Givens being proper nutrition, sun etc. If you did a soil test and are following the plan you will be amazed by June 1st next year.

bazilbrush

Post by bazilbrush » March 11th, 2022, 12:48 pm

My lawn is starting to wake up from the winter, and my renovation is riddled with these things (picture below). Is this poa annua? What is the recommended course of action? I was about to apply pre emergent, but I have a ton of this stuff in an already emerged state.

bazilbrush

Post by bazilbrush » April 22nd, 2022, 7:52 pm

Despite applying Tenacity at time Of seeding, I have large amounts of POA A spread throughout the lawn. I have applied Tenacity twice in the Spring and it is all lit up light green (picture below) So now what? Do I wait for it to fade away?

bazilbrush

Post by bazilbrush » August 12th, 2022, 6:34 pm

I owe you all an update. On my last report in Spring I had a poa a problem. I hit that with a course of Tenacity spread over 4 applications and it seemed to do the trick. The summer here has been brutally dry and I was a bit slow on the irrigation, but overall things are looking OK. I do have some areas where the grass mysteriously struggled (maybe the seed was uneven because of the storms when I renovated) but I am hopeful these will fill in over time.

Thank you all for your help on this project. Now I just need to work out when to apply the Fall prodiamine application.