DevilDawg81’s New Lawn - Fall 2021

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: DevilDawg81’s New Lawn - Day 36

Post by DevilDawg81 » September 30th, 2021, 5:49 pm

Today I took the hoses all off and mowed using the zero turn. We’re supposed to get a lot of rain Sunday into Monday so I’ll be dropping my next round of urea just before.

DevilDawg81

Re: DevilDawg81’s New Lawn - Day 39

Post by DevilDawg81 » October 3rd, 2021, 8:42 pm

Last night I was getting my third round of the aggressive nitrogen regimen down. It went from a light rain, to steady, then to monsoon very quickly. I put on my rain jacket and pants and proceeded to get all the urea down. For the reno area specifically I put down 0.5 lbs per 1k sq ft. Everywhere else got 1 lbs per.

The rain continued today and we may get a little more tomorrow. I’m hopeful to get the area trimmed down soon.

Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Re: DevilDawg81’s New Lawn - Fall 2021

Post by Masbustelo » October 4th, 2021, 3:31 am

It was very irresponsible to do yard work in a monsoon wearing only rain jacket and pants without a hat.

DevilDawg81

Post by DevilDawg81 » October 4th, 2021, 9:10 pm

Masbustelo wrote:
October 4th, 2021, 3:31 am
It was very irresponsible to do yard work in a monsoon wearing only rain jacket and pants without a hat.
Lol, this is true. Something odd that occurred, while I was spreading the fertilizer there was a clap of thunder that was very loud. Probably the loudest I’ve ever heard in my life. Instantly I had a sharp pain in my neck and it shot up to my head. I had a headache for two days straight. I know it sounds bizarre, but it happened. There wasn’t any lightning that I saw otherwise I would’ve said the hell with spreading fertilizer.

So lesson learned trying to take advantage of Mother Nature ;)

Masbustelo

Post by Masbustelo » October 5th, 2021, 1:55 am

Don't worry about lightening. The important thing is that you got the nitrogen down.

DevilDawg81

Re: DevilDawg81’s New Lawn - Day 49

Post by DevilDawg81 » October 13th, 2021, 3:47 pm

Temps have been above average for most of October. The areas I planted are filling in nicely. I have not watered that much lately. I ran the system yesterday for an extended period of time. A front is moving in this weekend bringing cooler temps. I’m hoping to get a light dose of urea In just before.

Here are pics from today:

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by edslawn » October 14th, 2021, 12:05 pm

DevilDawg81 wrote:
October 4th, 2021, 9:10 pm
Masbustelo wrote:
Lol, this is true. Something odd that occurred, while I was spreading the fertilizer there was a clap of thunder that was very loud. Probably the loudest I’ve ever heard in my life. Instantly I had a sharp pain in my neck and it shot up to my head. I had a headache for two days straight. I know it sounds bizarre, but it happened. There wasn’t any lightning that I saw otherwise I would’ve said the hell with spreading fertilizer.

The price you pay for a beautiful lawn! Be safe out there... Lawn is looking good and will be awesome in the spring when it explodes with a full head of N onboard.

DevilDawg81

Re: DevilDawg81’s New Lawn - Day 49

Post by DevilDawg81 » October 14th, 2021, 5:38 pm

edslawn wrote:
October 14th, 2021, 12:05 pm
DevilDawg81 wrote:
October 4th, 2021, 9:10 pm
Masbustelo wrote:

The price you pay for a beautiful lawn! Be safe out there... Lawn is looking good and will be awesome in the spring when it explodes with a full head of N onboard.
Thank you very much. I am happy how it’s turned out thus far. We’re supposed to get a good rain tomorrow night, so I’ll get the N out ahead of it!

edslawn

Post by edslawn » October 17th, 2021, 8:54 am

I got my weekly N down Friday and it rained here all day on Saturday. Like a mastercard commercial, priceless!

DevilDawg81

Post by DevilDawg81 » October 17th, 2021, 7:15 pm

edslawn wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 8:54 am
I got my weekly N down Friday and it rained here all day on Saturday. Like a mastercard commercial, priceless!
Same here. I got it down Friday afternoon and that night we got a lot of rain. Unfortunately there was a tornado south of us, crazy for October here. I am putting down almost 40 lbs per application so I have to be almost guaranteed rain. For the reno area I’m just keeping it really light apps, some rain falls I will skip altogether.

The temps are heading south and I am slowly tearing down the sprinkler system. Things are looking really good.

DevilDawg81

Re: DevilDawg81’s New Lawn - Day 54

Post by DevilDawg81 » October 18th, 2021, 7:07 pm

Tonight I wrapped up all the hoses and packed away the sprinklers. There’s still more days to the season left, but I’m involved in some wedding activities the next couple weekends for a friend of mine and I’ll be occupied until November. A front is supposed to move in Thursday knocking the high temps down to the 50s.

I mow this about every 2-3 days along with what I call “the good grass” as I’ve been following the aggressive fall N plan. This reno area doesn’t get the aggressive dose, just a spoon feeding every now and then.

From the back towards the front:

Putting away the hoses:

From the front looking to the back:

Just for fun, here is my reno from last fall (13k sq ft) that I mowed today

Masbustelo

Post by Masbustelo » October 18th, 2021, 7:45 pm

Everything looks great. It makes me homesick for Ohio. I was born in Lima.

edslawn

Post by edslawn » October 19th, 2021, 9:58 pm

You have to deal with life, prioritize, and do what you can. I often need to skip stuff that I wish I had time to do. Just seems like I just don't have the time.

I have to laugh, I complain when I have to deal with my 200' of hose for the front and 50' for the back. That's nothing compared to your setup :)! Looks like your lawn is ready for winter and one final dose of N.

DevilDawg81

Post by DevilDawg81 » October 20th, 2021, 8:33 pm

Masbustelo wrote:
October 18th, 2021, 7:45 pm
Everything looks great. It makes me homesick for Ohio. I was born in Lima.
Thanks a lot. I’ve been to Lima a handful of times.

DevilDawg81

Post by DevilDawg81 » October 20th, 2021, 8:39 pm

edslawn wrote:
October 19th, 2021, 9:58 pm
You have to deal with life, prioritize, and do what you can. I often need to skip stuff that I wish I had time to do. Just seems like I just don't have the time.

I have to laugh, I complain when I have to deal with my 200' of hose for the front and 50' for the back. That's nothing compared to your setup :)! Looks like your lawn is ready for winter and one final dose of N.
I am with you there, it always seems like something is on the schedule. I actually had a few more hoses that lead out to the front section. I also used a long 1.5” PVC pipe across the driveway so nobody crushes a hose into the gravel. I have to hit the drawing board this winter because our front lawn is almost 24k sq ft and that will be next fall. I’m currently looking at different heads (Hunter I40 for one) to help throw water further. The joys :rotfl:

But as for now, yes I think we’re ready for winter. Hard frost will hit soon!

DevilDawg81

Re: DevilDawg81’s New Lawn - Yellowing area

Post by DevilDawg81 » October 24th, 2021, 1:14 pm

Hey gang, need some assistance here. I came home this afternoon after being away for a few days. I noticed one section of my reno have yellowing grass blades. I had applied .5 lbs of nitrogen on it on Friday October 15th followed by a hard rain. I don’t know if it was that, I did not apply any starter fertilizer to this area. Up close it looks like rust or some fungal disease potentially. It’s raining now, rain tomorrow and I may get a few dry days between now and Thursday. Should I apply a Serenade dose?

Here is the spot against the older grass, you can see the contrast:

Up close:

DevilDawg81

Re: DevilDawg81’s New Lawn - Day 73

Post by DevilDawg81 » November 6th, 2021, 10:03 pm

We’ve been through almost entire week of hard frosts each morning. The reno area is okay. It doesn’t look as robust against the seasoned turf, but I’m hopeful it will next year. I mowed today and temps got into the 60s. It’s supposed to get into the 60s the next few days. Weather has been beautiful.

I took the drone out this afternoon to take some aerial shots. You can see the reno area in the first pic in the upper left corner. It doesn’t have as deep of contrast of the other areas: